SilverSearcher103

Nov 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I've been looking around for a backup detector, and was offered a 2 year old f4, lightly used, for $275. Included with the f4 is a pro pointer, and a Garrett digger. Good deal or no? Im not familiar with the f4 so I thought I would ask your options. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

Not bad, especially with the ProPointer thrown in.
The F4 is basically an F2 that costs twice as much when purchased new which is not a great value.
It has two extra features which are an all metal setting and the ability to ground balance neither if which the F2 has.
However by holding down the pinpoint button you can hunt in all metal using the F2, and the gb feature on the F4 ONLY WORKS in the all metal or pinpoint modes, if you hunt in disc those settings will not transfer over to that mode and will be the same as hunting with an F2.
The F4 also usually comes with a more expensive DD coil as standard.
Otherwise hunting with any Fisher if you learn the language and behavior it will find you much.
My $200 F2 found me over 10X's that much in 3 seasons so I can't say enough good things about it or any other model and how Fishers behave and work.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paid $295 for a lightly used F4 in Jun 2014. I loved the detector and became a huge fan of the stock DD coil. It paid for itself in 4 months of clad finds. With the extras, it is a great deal. The only thing I did not like about the F4 was that the VDI does not function in all metal mode.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F4 is a revamped Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. The deal is good, just not great, IMO. The newer technological Land Ranger Pro has a few options over the 3300/F4 and costs less. GB in disc mode, a major, plus the 11" DD coil for less than $275 (plus one 9V instead of two). If you limit yourself to, say, $300, then it's a "good" deal. But the F4 was knocked out price wise by the Fratbros F44, LRP, Gamma that offer more for the buck.

But with the Pro Pointer and digger, the deal becomes a "good one", especially for a new detectorist.

I don't know what you're backing up to to make that analogy.

OP
OP
SilverSearcher103

SilverSearcher103

Nov 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help! I am going to pick up the detector later today. He said he would throw in a decent pair of headphones to go with it, so now Im sure I am getting a good deal.

I use an AT Pro so this will mostly be used as a backup detector, or something I can let my family/buddies use and not worry too much about. Thanks again guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread