thinking about switching to fisher.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard good things about the F5, it is the Fisher detector I wanted last year, but I ended up getting the F4. If I was moving to the fisher line today, I'd look for a used F70 for $400. I have seen a few for sale this year at that price on craigslist. I am also a fan of the stock 11" DD coil.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
OI have hundreds of hours on a Vaquero and a Compadre and still pull them out from time to time and still enjoy them.
Years ago I got an F2 just as a backup but I had so much fun and found so much almost immediately I just kept on using it as my prime and found an amazing amount of treasure with it in 3 years.
Paid for the silly thing 10X's over.
Thought about getting an F5 but a fire sale price on a new F70 passed by and I couldn't resist.
Read my threads about that F70, look at my finds, my jaw is sore and aching from dropping so much and my treasure chest is overflowing with booty.
I love Tesoros but I have a keen affinity for Fishers also, I found.
Totally different machines and experiences hunting with both kinds and I love them both but my prime is that F70 because it seems to have super powers that I have never seen before.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you should go for it! Let us know how it works out for you. :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

Jesseb88

Greenie
Nov 11, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also looking at the teknetics t2 classic

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Be careful when and if you purchase the T2, there are many counterfeit T2's out their. If I can't touch it, inspect it, I would go through one of the vendors that advertise here or from one of the loyal members of Tnet. The price dropped on the T2 Classic this year. From well over $800 to the lower $499 price.

OP
OP
J

Jesseb88

Greenie
Nov 11, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was going to by from a dealer.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out today at the park comparing a Fischer CZ-7a Pro and a F-19. I think every detector is fun in it's own kind of way. I think you will really like a machine that has VDI numbers. With a beep and dig, the signal may be just a little erratic and you will never know it. With a VDI machine if the reading is pretty steady, it is most likely what it says it is. The ability to tell what an object is requires a lot less knob spinning. From the Youtube videos I see the F-5 is a fine machine. I thought about adding one to my collection but then a duel frequency machine came up and I went for it, (Whites DFX).
I am a big fan of a designer named Dave Johnson. He worked for a number of manufacturers and had a hand in some of the best machines made. A short list, Old Fisher: 1260, 1220, 1210, 1225, 1235, 1265, 1266, 1280, Impulse, CZ6, CZ5, CZ20, Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, TW6/Gemini, FX-3, and several industrial products. Tesoro: Diablo MicroMax, Lobo Supertraq. White’s: DFX, Beachhunter ID, GMT, MXT. New Fisher: F75, F4, and everything else since then. He now works for First Texas which is a parent company of Fischer labs. I think anything they now make will be something worth owning.

Last edited:

awsmix

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2004
Elmore county, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, 1260
I'm thinking about coming over to fisher brand. I have been using Tesoro vaquero and compadre. I'm looking at the fisher f5 seems like it is a very capable machine just looking for some thoughts on it.

I don't know about the newer Fishers but I have a lot of experience with the older ones. I bought a 1260X from KellyCo in 1983, I think it was, and i still use it. Its not my primary detector but I still take it with me when I get a chance to get out. I've found 1000s of coins and various pieces of jewelry and a lot of junk. I bought a CZ5 in 2000 while I was living in Jacksonville, FL, and a month after buying it I had bypass surgery, which put a damper on my hunting. The detector is about 15 years old and I'll bet it doesn't have 25 hours on it, but I'm amazed at its depth and accuracy.

Like I said, I don't know much about them since they changed their looks and ownership, too, I guess, but if they're anything like the ones I'm familiar with, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F5 is a great detector. I used it as my main for over 6 years and found plenty of treasure (coins/jewelry). An easy machine to move to from Tesoro's. Analog controls like the Tesoro's yet digital screen displays and auto GBing. No memory though, and 2 9V batteries. I moved from the DeLeon and Bandido II into the F5 and never regretted it.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about coming over to fisher brand. I have been using Tesoro vaquero and compadre. I'm looking at the fisher f5 seems like it is a very capable machine just looking for some thoughts on it.

I used a Vaquero for over 1 year. Now using a Teknetics Omega 8000, (similar to F5) & it is like a new world of hunting opened up for me. I could never go back to the Vaquero, I dug more rusty iron (that the disc said should have been dimes/quarters) with that machine than any I have owned. You will be amazed going back over the old sites that you "hunted out" with the Vaquero.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old t2 is a heck of a deal. First thing you read is it's noisy for emi. It is easily tamed. It's also easy to run too hot. Kinda like running the vaquero in supertune, which I didn't get along with. It's easy to tame and in 2 tone it is very fast and hard to beat in heavy iron.

Jeffsh

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Sacramento, califor
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, XLt, Mxt, GM3 garrett Ace 250 and 350, Fisher F2,f5, Gold bug 2, Minela Sovereign, exploxer ii, Excalibur experience. I use the Fisher F5 and F2.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suggestion, if you go with a Fisher F5, stay away from the 8" coil, either go with the 11" or a NEL Hunter coil. I have the Fisher F5, Teknetics G2, and Fisher F2. Love them all, but I bought the NEL coil Hunter for my F5, which is compatible with the G2 and found dimes at 9" deep. Great machine, easy to learn, and quick recovery. Check out big boy hobbies for prices and deals. I don't work for them ,but bought from them, satisfied customer.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The F5 is a great machine, the knobs are great for fine tuning certain settings. The F5 can also handle being used as a Gold machine because of the interface selective settings. The Technetics Omega is the F5 with a different face plate and its funny how many First Texas products (Bounty Hunter, Technetics and Fisher) have F5 DNA in them. The term "Processes" is used to describe a number of different processes used in target types, target responses and target settings. The F5 "Processes" is used in the Technetics Omega, Delta and Gamma and of course the F5 also the Fisher Gold Bug. The F5 process is a variant of the "Default" process that is used in the T2 and F75. This process was designed for quieter operations in heavy trash and better separation values. This machine is a very capable unit. With a DD coil its very deadly. Slight learning curve on understanding settings but it is easy enough. I loved it. Best of Luck!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F5 is a great machine, the knobs are great for fine tuning certain settings. The F5 can also handle being used as a Gold machine because of the interface selective settings. The Technetics Omega is the F5 with a different face plate and its funny how many First Texas products (Bounty Hunter, Technetics and Fisher) have F5 DNA in them. The term "Processes" is used to describe a number of different processes used in target types, target responses and target settings. The F5 "Processes" is used in the Technetics Omega, Delta and Gamma and of course the F5 also the Fisher Gold Bug. The F5 process is a variant of the "Default" process that is used in the T2 and F75. This process was designed for quieter operations in heavy trash and better separation values. This machine is a very capable unit. With a DD coil its very deadly. Slight learning curve on understanding settings but it is easy enough. I loved it. Best of Luck!

The Omega is not quite the same; as the F5 has independent gain/threshold adjustment as well as running FE indicator numbers.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
atomicsciott I'm a bit confused? Your Omegan 8000 has independent Gain and threshold and Ground Phase readout on it. ( I only write this to avoid any possible confusion for anyone interested in either machine) Dave Johnson with FTP has commented on it in the past, calling it a simplified version of the "similar" F5. Any real performance differences between the two are found with the handle type and the ability to more precisely adjust the performance tuning of the F5. While there is model specific items available to each machine; Variable VCO, Depth boost, Ground grab ect. I support your "not quite the same" comment, but it was not my intention to say the two were the same but rather to point out how good the "F5 process" is, that it is now found and available in so many other machines. Sorry for any confusion! Stay Gold! Opie.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's the one I have my eye on.....
Looks like a helluva deal at the current price.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atomicsciott I'm a bit confused? Your Omegan 8000 has independent Gain and threshold and Ground Phase readout on it. ( I only write this to avoid any possible confusion for anyone interested in either machine) Dave Johnson with FTP has commented on it in the past, calling it a simplified version of the "similar" F5. Any real performance differences between the two are found with the handle type and the ability to more precisely adjust the performance tuning of the F5. While there is model specific items available to each machine; Variable VCO, Depth boost, z grab ect. I support your "not quite the same" comment, but it was not my intention to say the two were the same but rather to point out how good the "F5 process" is, that it is now found and available in so many other machines. Sorry for any confusion! Stay Gold! Opie.

Yes the Fisher/Tek/BH all share some great tech! Dave J. once said the Omega 8000 was his fave grab & go machine. The Omega 8000 has a single sensitivity control. There is no SEPARATE threshold control. The threshold hum only kicks in when the sensitivity is above 70. The Omega does have ground phase readout used for setting GB. It does not have running FE304 mineralization numbers like the F5 which shows how 'hot' (& type of) the ground mineralization is. It does have a bar graph that shows fe3o4 as well as a graph for ground phase error. You can download the manual from First Texas.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread