Learning my F4

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a F4 in good shape for $150.. I am learning how to use it and was digging a lot of false high readings. The thing is chatty I am getting the hang of it slowly. Any advice on how to ground balance this thing? I have read conflicting threads about GB does and does not carry over to discrimination.
The unit seems to hate WiFi and any other "noise" of that nature but I like to have my sensitivity up. So far I really like this MD.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F4 is good, it will false a lot if you run the sensitivity too high for the area. It will false when going over ruts and when it hits hard weeds like other metal detectors. I always verified my targets before I dug, by this I mean you get a signal while sweeping from north to south, well then I'd swing from east to west over it to see if I still had a good signal. This will keep you from chasing false signals. It also assists in pinpointing the target.

Take some coins and throw them on the ground and swing your coil over each one separately. This will allow you to see the VDI that each coin rings in at and the tone it gives when ot if you run in disc mode.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Fishers are overpowered out of the factory.
If you don't want to turn it down learn to deal with the noise at some sites, like all Fishers it should stop all the nonsense and act better when it is swinging going over good targets.
If you do turn it down you won't lose much depth and it will be quieter.

Lots of misinformation about the GB on this one out there.
In the past if you called Fisher half the techs would tell you that it transfers over from all metal to disc, the other half would tell you it doesn't.
Hope they are better at this now.

Here is the truth straight from Dave Johnson, one of the head engineers at FTP...
GB ONLY works in all metal or when you hit the pinpoint button.
It WILL NOT transfer over to disc.

If you hunt in disc it is basically the same as hunting with an F2...a unit I got very good at using.

Last edited:
OP
OP
68kaiser

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I took it out to a park this evening and I swear it has not been hunted. Lots of good hits quarters 1/2 inch down. I didn't dig much deeper then a few inches it just feels weird digging in a park. Maby I was breaking the law I didn't see any signs.
Like you said with send all the way up it gets some chatter but you can tell when you are over a good target. I am in the process of moving to the mountains and got some leads to some spots to hunt. I can't wait to get out and see what I can find. Thanks again guys.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Fishers are all great, my $200 F2 found me enough clad, silver and gold to pay for itself 10 times over in 3 seasons.
Upgraded to an F70 with just some of that money, the language and behavior I already learned transferred over and spent the last couple years learning that one and being amazed on almost every hunt.
That one also paid for itself very quickly, probably up to 2-3X's now.
Fishers are powerful but can be quirky.
Learn to deal with those quirks and behavior patterns and the sky is the limit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions