Just recieved my new CZ3d

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say Fisher treated me fairly...for over 20 yrs I hunted with a CZ7a-pro, loved it, it handled the treasure coast fl beaches great, it had a special sound it made to tell me it was over rust flakes...a lot of them plaque the wet surf off the 1715 plate wrecks up and down the coast, little 1/2" to 1 inch chips of iron rust, presumably off metal hulls or pipes.
Anyway the touchpad stopped responding, it was a lifetime warranty unit, after sending it in Felix told me they longer had the parts, it was obsolete, and offered me the CZ3d as a replacement.
I was sad to see my old trusted friend go but the new CZ was a fair offer.
It came today with batteries and a coil cover.
Only odd things are that it ID's the few modern nickels I have around as round beavertail tabs, and in disc mode the indicator needle starts from the right side, above hi coins. But it works fine and air tests about like my last one, with quarters giving a solid ding at 11-12", disc set at 0 and sens @ 7.
Fisher treated me right, as it always has.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Texas is a good company, enjoy your CZ!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have a question....I have a 20 year old CZ5 which had that same lifetime warranty and had to call Fisher about 8 years ago and was told that they no longer honored that warranty of those Los Banos Fisher detectors...It was 5 years like their current detectors.....Did they change their policy on that? Congrats on that new CZ3D...If it is as good as the CZ5, you got yourself a great detector....On salt water beaches, I use the Autotune Mode...and switch the trigger to Salt....Hope you like it!...

Last edited:
OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, i've sent my fishers in for repair about 3 times in all in the last 6 yrs, they honor the lifetime warranty, but if the model is no longer in their lineup they apparently don't stock old proprietary parts (this probably excludes common parts such as headphone jacks, knobs, speakers, cables etc), and will by policy not be able to repair the surface mount chips and components. They will offer a replacement from their current lineup, with a 5 yr warranty. If you insist on keeping your old friend, they will advise you to have it repaired at your own expense. That's been my experience. They will ask for your serial number to verify it's a lifetime warranty unit, and I think they check to see if you registered it when you purchased it, if you didn't, they may want the original reciept, I don't know becuz I always register my purchases.

Last edited:

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your CZ-3D it also likes aluminum can slaw - pull tabs/beaver tails - square tabs & rusty nails. I really like mine and it can find the nickels and does go deep. I use the salt mode mostly in parks cause it will separate the zinc pennies from the silver/dimes & copper pennies.

Texas Ed

Last edited:
OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...you've found the same things I'm learning. The 3d has some differences from the older CZ's, some cons, some pros. But it's still a CZ, a great design. I'm looking fwd to using it in the future.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been raining all the time here in south Florida, so I haven't had a chance to really put the cz3d thru it's paces, meantime, it doesn't come with an arm strap for the arm cup, so I went behind an auto body shop and got some seatbelt straps from the dumpster, trimmed it, used a heavy needle and 10lb test fishing line to sew it, and bonded the job with goop sealant...the strap is exactly the right size to fit in the strap slots...the result is great, it looks factory made and the seatbelt material is soft, comfy and of course strong.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your interested Tom Dankowski will run a calibration/validation/certification on it with out voiding the warranty & he lives in Florida. I am considering this but mine has the depth & performance that is expected from the CZ line of machines, besides I take it with me as the prime or back machine. Good luck with your CZ and keep us posted on your finds and your thoughts of it performance.

Texas Ed

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ed, based on my first tests, I think my machine is working as designed. I'll report any interesting finds. One interesting thing I've observed is that with disc at zero and sensitivity at almost max (possible here with our minimal mineralization) the cz will detect very small gold at 3-4 inches. And I mean small.
I can see it working at prospecting in a pinch, maybe not on flakes or pinhead nuggets but lentil-sized bits for sure. Someday I'd like hunt in Georgia or N. Carolina or out west.
I know of some areas hereabouts that I found thru old RR maps, one being a town called Walton that no longer exists in any way, but I found it by the RR tracks by artifacts, including old copper stencil sheets used to mark crates, in fact I found a geographical marker, a brass cap about 3" in diameter about 2 ft down in the brush, it bears the name of the town of Walton (do not remove). I was probably the first to see it in 90 yrs.. I reburied it, but didn't mark the spot.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eddiecurrent I also have mild minerlized soil here where I live so I elected to run my CZ's sensitivity max out at 10 and e mailed NASA Tom to see if I was getting the best results out of my machine and his reply was - it will work but you will have much better "modulated" audio........ and a bit better separation if you run your Sens around '5'. CZ's usually achieve their max depth with a Sens setting of approx. 4.5 or 4.6. You can test this on your next deep coin.... and you will see good resolution. I followed up with the settings Tom sugested in my trash & coin garden and it does work. I also set my ground blanance around 9 to 10.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...another interesting tidbit I learned while watching a new whites video reviewing the new Whites mx-sport against the mxt and the mx-5....if a nail is next to a coin, a good machine can unmask the coin if the nail is oriented north-south on an axis with the coin in the direction of the coil sweep...however, if the nail is pointing towards the coin, it's length in line with the coil sweep direction, it can be 6" away and still effectively mask the coin. Weird.

Btw the whites mx-sport outperformed the mxt and the mx5, even tho' all 3 are based on the same circuit design.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20160227_125619.jpg

IMG_20160227_125705.jpg

The result of an hour in the florida back country scrub, a number of .22 shell casings, one spent .22 bullet, undeformed-oxidized, a superX 16 gauge casing, one 1999 jeff nickel, 2 brass screens the size of a quarter-looks like breathers I used to see on canvas tents to prevent condensation, one odd UBO thing that's brass, has threads on the circumference, and has a large set screw, one copper cap that says "Calrad", a 38 cartridge and a .22 cartridge. And one round BB the size of a large pea.
Will go back when I have more time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chance to hunt a local modern park yesterday, the cz3 performed great, had it at 3 sens and zero disc, salt mode. I cleaned up the coins, while avoiding digging pennies and square tabs, tho' several times I dug the square tab id just to see, sure enuf, they were tabs. I got more nickels than anything else, which had been in the ground for a while cuz they were dark.
I'm quite pleased with this machine.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to hear it! Good luck with your new machine!

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, . Same to you, how do you like your Tejon, i've heard it's a depth demon.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, . Same to you, how do you like your Tejon, i've heard it's a depth demon.

I like it but it takes a back seat to the F75. Before I got the E-TRAC I would start with the F75, then rescan the same ground with the Tejon. Now the Tejon has been relegated to fields which I don't often get a chance to hunt. I'm looking forward to going on more relic hunts, though, and the Tejon will get more use.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the area around Madisonville goes back to the early 1800's, being on a major stagecoach track.
Your area is older than mine here in Ft. Pierce Fl..
Good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread