flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone else driven nuts by pennies with the CZ-21? Nearly every time I dig a penny, I get double hits, hits which are not actually over the penny, and all sorts of oddities. The target just seems to be moving around on me.

I find myself chasing my tail, and I think "Crap it's going to be a penny". Sure enough it is.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try cleaning out the coil cover. A tiny bit of black sand will make a penny look good when you think it's disc out. But disc out pennies you won't hear gold rings.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I don't use a coil cover or discrimination, so not that.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are idiots that think its funny to toss pennies on beaches for us to find. I say relax and enjoy the beeps. Silence is worse.:occasion14:

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had the same experience using fishers, tho' i'm not sure if it is brand specific.
Pennies are hardest to pinpoint. The signal seems to move around. Just pennies. Why? No idea, it's just a quirk involving pennies.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never had that problem with my CZ-20 or 21's. No double hits at all. If it does it on an air test you might want to call First Texas.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Autotune you can easily confirm if its a single target or two, hunt Autotune at sens of 9 to 10. At times you will get the double beep if the penny is on end when you switch to 0 Discriminate mode. I have had this happen plenty of times, with dimes as well when they are on end at a specific angle in the sand. Do try the airtests as suggested with the penny on end passing it 6" or so from the coil and flat.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that was a good thing, now you know not to dig it