Fisher F5 still good?

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Fisher F5 and am really enjoying it. Back in 1996 I ran a minelab SD2000 and a small minelab machine whos name I cant remember (feel free to help me out) had a blue box and white coil. Recently I borrowed my father in laws Whites classic II from 1991. Very beep and dig.

I have no complaints about the F5. The only thing I would have changed is swapping the phase lock and tones buttons location. Just easier to ground balnce that way.

I have read and enjoyed all of the Mike Hillis bible and subsequent posts and have read as much as I can about the F5.

My questions are. 1) does anyone know if Mike still runs an F5?

And 2) Considering how long the production run has been (i have version 3) Are they still a good machine in 2016? Would you say it has been superceded in its class and price range?

Cheers
Simon

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why you have not had a response yet so I will. I don't have a F5 as of right now but will be ordering a new one in the very near future. I have read everything that Mike Hillis has posted just like you. From everything I have read from other posters on all the metal detecting sights I can find there is a lot of positive comments about the detector. There are lots of other detectors out there that have lots more bells and whistles but do you really need them. I would say the F5 is very much still a contender in metal detecting.

OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Like I say, I have some MD experience(nothing with vdi) and I really like the F5. I know the F19 is a higher frequency but peronally I feel the F5 has more desirable features for my needs. The F22 and F44 seem also like good turn on and go detectors but still not in quite the same leauge as the F5.
I must say the interface is a real pleasure.
The 11 inch DD does feel a bit nose heavy imo. Feels much nicer balanced with the little coil.

Something else I have to ask , do you lose depth by using tones?

I have dug plenty of coins at 8 -9inches usig 3 tones.

Cheers
Simon

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F5 was the first Fratbros machine from FTP. Designed by Jorge Anton Saad. It is a shared analog/digital machine, or hybrid. I had mine as my go to for 6+ years. I communicated with Mike on an ongoing basis.

It still matches all other Fratbros machines in functionality (Tek Greeks, BH Pros) except the Omega 8500, the newest version featuring deep mode. The F5 uses the Fisher/BH iron range (ending at 20) making it less attractive for relics, but more informative for coins and jewelry, over the Teks iron range of 40. But it's controlable gain and threshold makes it a slightly better machine to find small gold over other Fratbros machines. The F5 is still a viable contender with all of todays offerings. Last I heard, Mike no longer has the F5. Preferring the Fisher F75 DST, Whites V3 and Omega 8500.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I was looking to upgrade from my F2 a few years ago and looked all the way up to the F75 but ultimately decided the F5 would be a healthy upgrade with all the features and abilities I could ask for.
Fisher has a rich language that i love and seem to be able to understand and most of it seems to be shared among all its brethren.
Then a fire sale price on an F70 passed my way and that was that.
Still, I also use Tesoros and something about the tactile feel of a unit with knobs is enjoyable and somehow...comforting.
I think the F5 is still more than capable in this modern age and if one ever came my way with a great price I would probably jump on it without ever having a thought that it would be a downgrade from my F70...just different.

OP
OP
S

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Early on I was very interested to buy another detector (aswell as the F5) as a matter of interest. But then I decided I would rather become VERY familiar with one machine rather than divide my detecting time between two or more machines. Im about 50 or 60 hours into the F5 now and feel very comfortable and confident with it. and Tesoros are not available locally niether are Whites. So its Garret and First Texas here. I would like to get a 5inch DD and a 13 inch mother eventually but for now Im good.
Cheers
Simon

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread