Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am new to the forum and metal detecting / treasure hunting. I have always thought about getting a metal detector and I have wanted one ever since I was little. I just never really acted upon it. Well, I am a big time techy that builds computers, fixes computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. I also use to be into PC gaming, however I have just lost all interest lately. After work, I tend to just sit around on the computer and not do much of anything. I have been telling myself I need a hobby for a while now. The other day I was walking through my local Walmart and seen a metal detector. That is when it hit me. I feel metal detecting / treasure hunting would be a great hobby for me. Summer is just beginning up here in Wisconsin and there is no better time than now for me to try it out. I think it will be an enjoyable thing for me to learn and will keep me more active / outdoors.

I have been browsing info on more so beginner detectors for hours on end now. I feel that I want to go with a Fisher and I am trying to decide between the F2 and the F22.

Any input on these two detectors would be greatly appreciated.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the difference of price isn't an issue, then the F22 is my choice. FeTone Iron audio is worth the extra bucks, plus preset modes and 1 customized mode. 2 AA batteries over a 9V is a slight money saver as well. More coils are available also.

But the for the price, the F2 is no slouch. You can buy 2 and 3 coil packages at pretty good prices.

The F22 is newer FTP technology that us used in the Teknetics brand, while F2 (process) technology is becoming a bit dated.

I had the F2 for many years and replaced it with the newer BH Quick Draw Pro which is deeper and faster at recovery than my F2. The QDP and F22 are the same detector (process) but the F22 has some better options as well as coil choices.

OP
OP
T

Techbyte

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the F22 would be good for a first timer?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is an acceptable learning detector, but for about $90 more you can move right up to the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro which gives you options that other brands charge big money for. I see one on Craigslist in Western Mich. for $200. I personally like the stock DD coil over a concentric. The LRP comes with the DD and the F2 can be bought new with one for a premium.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Go with the DD coil on your choice. You'll get more ground coverage from a DD on depth:

Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If money isn't a issue and those are the detectors you'd like..I'd personally pick the DD F22. Good luck with your search and the hunts

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is an acceptable learning detector, but for about $90 more you can move right up to the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro which gives you options that other brands charge big money for. I see one on Craigslist in Western Mich. for $200. I personally like the stock DD coil over a concentric. The LRP comes with the DD and the F2 can be bought new with one for a premium.

To the original poster-----------------the above is very sound advice---the LRP should be easy for you to learn and you will not outgrow it anytime soon.
Marvin

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think the F22 would be good for a first timer?

Yes. It can be a turn on and go machine that has abilities to program as you learn detecting algorithms. The F2 is just a turn on and go machine with very little customization. The technology being newer in the F22 makes it a better choice for expansion as well. It's coils work on many other machines if you plan to grow, where the F2 coils are specific to only 2 detectors, the F2/F4.

The Land Ranger Pro has been mentioned, but as this is a Fisher question in a Fisher forum, I felt compelled to keep it Fisher. If you do go with the F22, Wayne (above) is a good dealer who would offer experience in helping you get started. If you decide to check out the LRP, keep in mind that they are sold at online stores for the best prices that do not offer after the sale instruction. But most get their info on forums anyway. And Bounty Hunter coils are plug in with a limited choice of coils over the F22.

Just wanted you to make an educated choice rather than just a price choice.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F22 is my backup unit. I made my best find with it so it holds a special place in my heart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions