Gold Bug Pro Id List?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious. I have a GBP recently purchased and just starting to learn how to use it. I had an F2 , currently own a AT Pro and now the GBP. Is there n Id list somewhere on the internet/ forums for the Gold Bug? Just wondering since I've made a couple of searches but found nothing. I'm currently prospecting with it and doing some relic hunting also. It's a really good machine! So far It's all good.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No lists that I know of, but you will learn the numbers soon enough.

When out treasure/coin hunting, throw it in discriminate but do not alter the level of discriminate, keep it at ZERO.
then the Target ID is displayed in the big numbers vs the gauge at the top of the screen when in all metal.
crank up the sensitivity and you can get pretty deep in discrim mode.
Start digging everything and in no time you start to see the numerical patterns.

Quarters ring out at 87
Dimes - 83
Nickels - Solid 58 (if it bounces between 57 and 58 - 9 out 10 times its a pull tab)
copper pennies - 82/82
zinc pennies - 78

The instruction manual helps too and gives you some good examples.

For gold - keep it in all metal.
run your threshold at an audible murmur and sensitivity at 11/12 o'clock and adjust as necessary.
Always keep it ground balance it too as you move over different ground.
Dig everything.

Sir Jim Straight recommended practicing with nickels at different depths as a good lesson for nugget hunting.
Bury as deep as your machine will hear it (10" or more?) , and that might be what you'll hear on a small piece of gold out in the field.

Love my GBP!! lite weight and very sensitive and very easy to use.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yahoo my first silver quarter with my GBP!! Rang a solid 90 at 5-6 inches! Can't wait to hit the same spot today. This was on a beach where I have already found a 1950's silver Rosey and 2 silver spanish coins! A 1/2 reale and a 1 reale coin! Lets see what I find today!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470317140.143835.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious. I have a GBP recently purchased and just starting to learn how to use it. I had an F2 , currently own a AT Pro and now the GBP. Is there n Id list somewhere on the internet/ forums for the Gold Bug? Just wondering since I've made a couple of searches but found nothing. I'm currently prospecting with it and doing some relic hunting also. It's a really good machine! So far It's all good.

I've used mine over five years now.
Use the Owner's Manual for the machine on page 25
for your Target ID list

foil from gum wrapper 40 - 55
U.S. nickel (5¢ coin) typically 58
aluminum pull-tab 60 - 75
aluminum screwcap 70 - 80
zinc penny (dated after 1982) typically 78
aluminum soda pop can 75 - 85
copper penny, clad dime typically 83
U.S. quarter (25¢ coin), clad typically 89
50¢ coin, modern clad typically 92
old silver dollar coin typically 94
US silver Eagle $1 coin typically 95

get the manual, read and re-read it many times, and lots of practice and guessing before digging,
AND don't forget to check the changing mineralization and ground balance - often!
But, ENJOY the power and simplicity of the GBPro........!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used mine over five years now.
Use the Owner's Manual for the machine on page 25
for your Target ID list

foil from gum wrapper 40 - 55
U.S. nickel (5¢ coin) typically 58
aluminum pull-tab 60 - 75
aluminum screwcap 70 - 80
zinc penny (dated after 1982) typically 78
aluminum soda pop can 75 - 85
copper penny, clad dime typically 83
U.S. quarter (25¢ coin), clad typically 89
50¢ coin, modern clad typically 92
old silver dollar coin typically 94
US silver Eagle $1 coin typically 95

get the manual, read and re-read it many times, and lots of practice and guessing before digging,
AND don't forget to check the changing mineralization and ground balance - often!
But, ENJOY the power and simplicity of the GBPro........!

It's been like 2 months now and I'm pretty much getting the hang of it. When I'm relic/coin shooting in an old site with lots of iron in it I'll set the disc high at 57. Then dig everything from 58 and up and it has worked out great. A Chinese coin from the 1700's, a couple of old silvers, antique jewlery, old bullets, old spanish coppers ect are some of my most recent finds!!

Geraldsr

Greenie
Dec 5, 2022
No lists that I know of, but you will learn the numbers soon enough.

When out treasure/coin hunting, throw it in discriminate but do not alter the level of discriminate, keep it at ZERO.
then the Target ID is displayed in the big numbers vs the gauge at the top of the screen when in all metal.
crank up the sensitivity and you can get pretty deep in discrim mode.
Start digging everything and in no time you start to see the numerical patterns.

Quarters ring out at 87
Dimes - 83
Nickels - Solid 58 (if it bounces between 57 and 58 - 9 out 10 times its a pull tab)
copper pennies - 82/82
zinc pennies - 78

The instruction manual helps too and gives you some good examples.

For gold - keep it in all metal.
run your threshold at an audible murmur and sensitivity at 11/12 o'clock and adjust as necessary.
Always keep it ground balance it too as you move over different ground.
Dig everything.

Sir Jim Straight recommended practicing with nickels at different depths as a good lesson for nugget hunting.
Bury as deep as your machine will hear it (10" or more?) , and that might be what you'll hear on a small piece of gold out in the field.

Love my GBP!! lite weight and very sensitive and very easy to use.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the information!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been like 2 months now and I'm pretty much getting the hang of it. When I'm relic/coin shooting in an old site with lots of iron in it I'll set the disc high at 57. Then dig everything from 58 and up and it has worked out great. A Chinese coin from the 1700's, a couple of old silvers, antique jewlery, old bullets, old spanish coppers ect are some of my most recent finds!!
Old Spanish coppers?! Wow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread