Melted battery pack

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I just thought I'd post what happens when a AA battery explodes inside a metal detector: 20160818_073919.jpg 20160818_074005.jpg
I didn't take pictures of the sludge I cleaned out of the compartment, but needless to say it's going in for repairs, the plug where it connects the wires is damaged too :( Must have happened sometime sunday, as I used it Saturday, and tried to Monday morning. No idea why the battery exploded, I keep my detectors in the house when I'm not using them, so it didn't overheat in the truck or anything. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the battery before I threw it away, the whole bottom end was deformed outwards. I was using Duracell Quantum, going back to the coppertops

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
probably a short that caused the battery to overheat and no protection from this inside the unit.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
yeah, I don't know. it wasn't in use when it happened. I didn't even know AA batteries could explode like that (when not being misused)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quantum super alkaline cells maybe not good for MD use, but most likely just a bad actor cell that went into an overload condition.. Yeah, I would go back to copper top if it suits your need since I have never heard of one òf them exploding. BTW what model detector were you using? Fisher forum but your profile only mentions a Garrett detector (Ace 250).

Last edited:
OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Quantum super alkaline cells maybe not good for MD use, but most likely just a bad actor cell that went into an overload condition.. Yeah, I would go back to copper top if it suits your need since I have never heard of one òf them exploding. BTW what model detector were you using? Fisher forum but your profile only mentions a Garrett detector (Ace 250).
I've got several, just have never updated my profile lol This is my Fisher 1280x

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had problems with my sovereign battery packs
laying loose with metal items that got against the + & - conections.

And also had a 9 volt burn my leg because it was in my pocket with some change.
but never had a problem with batteries inside my detector thankfully.

I do worry about these lithium-based batteries that heat up & explode.

fjs440

Greenie
Mar 3, 2015
Avon, OH
Detector(s) used
F2
1280-X
F70
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your battery may not have exploded. I also have a 1280-x and I fried a few battery packs before figuring it out.

When the battery pack in installed, it is possible for one of the bottom metal eyelets to touch one of the power input posts of the detector. Not a good thing.

Try this, line up the battery case and you will see where an eyelet lines up with the post. It will cause a short if there is too much soldier on the post or it's very tight fit forces it against the post. I use a thin plastic insert between the battery cartridge and the posts to stop the short circuit. This can happen even if the detector is not turned on.

I also place a strip of electrician tape across the bottom half of the battery pack. Between the tape and plastic insert, I have not had a problem since. It is a very tight fit.

Hopes this info helps explain what may have happened. Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread