normal for F70 to be this noisy?

caheaton

Greenie
May 16, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & F70
Hello, my day to day unit is an F2 which I enjoy very much, but a couple years ago I bought a used F70 that I tried a couple of times and then stored away. Tonight I have it another go, but soon remembered why I stored it away...it just seems too noisy. Even if I turn the discrimination all they way up (65, with a threshold of -5 and sensitivity to 50), the unit just chatters away with every swing. Most disconcerting is that I can still here the beeps from zinc pennies and tabs (using the target ID), yet these are allegedly discriminated out. With the F2, once they're discriminated out I don't hear them...with the F70 they still just chatter away (I'm using 4 tone mode, by the way). About the only sound that seems blocked is the lowest level iron grunt.

Is this normal or is there a problem with my unit? (I did do the ground balance routine prior to starting out). If it's normal, I'm beginning to think the F70 just isn't for me....shame since I love the little F2...it's chatty but not anywhere near as bad.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you cleaned out the coil cover? Otherwise you might just have a bad coil.

fjs440

Greenie
Mar 3, 2015
Avon, OH
Detector(s) used
F2
1280-X
F70
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Look in the manual for how to do a reset . That clears out everything you have done to it and will probably clear out the problems. Instructions are on page 9 of my booklet.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried to change the frequency? My F75 can be chatty when I turn it on when I am hunting curb strips, especially if I am right under power lines. I just find the quietest freq of the 7 available.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
He was educated on how the notch system works, did a reset and now he seems very happy.
He bought it used and I suspect received it working like this.
Bet he got a super deal on it if that was the case.
Love uninformed temporary Fisher owners!

OP
OP
C

caheaton

Greenie
May 16, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & F70
Thanks much for the help, Digger27 is correct, I was able to do a reset and in air tests sitting on the table it seems to be working okay now. Final proof will come sometime today when I take it out for field use. I suspect it will be okay. Relieved since I really wanted to like this machine given how much I enjoy the F2. Thanks again (also a little embarrassed I didn't think of the reset myself....)

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks much for the help, Digger27 is correct, I was able to do a reset and in air tests sitting on the table it seems to be working okay now. Final proof will come sometime today when I take it out for field use. I suspect it will be okay. Relieved since I really wanted to like this machine given how much I enjoy the F2. Thanks again (also a little embarrassed I didn't think of the reset myself....)

Get some swing time in and get comfortable and see how she does.
I also went from the F2 to this one in the Fisher line and in December I will have 3 years in it.
I am totally anal about learning new detectors and I have tweaked and experimented and dug carloads of junk along with many bucket list and lifetime finds all along the way learning this thing attempting to get even deeper into the settings and knowledge and abilities this thing has just to see how good it can be especially in the most extremely difficult sites you can imagine.
I have found settings, behavior and techniques to conquer every one to this point.
Never been to a salt water beach with it yet but on land I guarantee you this thing will drop your jaw often if you know and learn how it really works.
I am REVIER on one forum, digger27 on the rest and you can look up many of my posts as I have put down every insight and discoveries about settings that worked so well for me on most of them.
Others have tried some of them, including some very out of the box thinking settings, and it worked for them too.

The factory settings are great to start with and can take care of most sites but learn to tweak it some and the sky is the limit.
PM me somewhere and I would be happy to pass on any info I know if you like, I have done this with a few other friends/owners and it could get you by the initial learning curve a bit faster.
I have done the work, hundreds of hours learning, reap the benefits of my Cliff Notes version of what I have found without so much wheel spinning.

Here us a little blog I started and added to for the first several months of my experiences as I was just starting on my journey to knowledge.
I have gone even further beyond this stuff now.

Digger27's F70 log....Stardate 91517.72 (11-30-13) - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread