CZ-21 ground balance

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, finally bought a CZ-21. I am in love. I think I may be having some ground balance issues. I am detecting beaches in Delaware, mainly in ankle to knee high water. When I try to ground balance the machine using the pin point method there is no sound and no adjustment on the ground balance control from 0 to 10 will get a sound. When I use the ground pump method I occasionally have to adjust from level 5 but strangely only as I go into dry sand. I did fine coins and one junk ring that gave me a heart attack. I am also able to run the sensitivity in the 7 to 10 range. Is it possible that my sand is not that mineralized or am I just screwing up? Thanks for any help, OldSean

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably means your sand is low mineral. gB'ing in auto tune requires you have a slight threshold, obtainable only when you set the sensitivity near max..
Once GB'd, you may have to lower the sensitivity in disc when in wet sand to stop the occasional falsing.
I run mine at "5" sensitivity in disc. I hunt the dry sand in pinpoint mode, I find that it's deep and has even a wider detection field than straight auto tune.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try cleaning out the coil cover.:icon_thumright:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't usually need to GB the unit in that area (ie beaches from SC-NJ). So just keep it on 10 and worry more about sensitivity. Now this won't be the case for every beach and every part of the beach but it sounds like its the case for yours. If you do need to ground balance just use the pump method in autotune. They need to just scrap that pinpoint button. Even on my CTX I keep GB off on my beaches.

I run mine at "5" sensitivity in disc. I hunt the dry sand in pinpoint mode, I find that it's deep and has even a wider detection field than straight auto tune.

Run the sens as high as possible. I can keep mine between 8-10 on east coast beaches. In time you will learn to run it hot but when new keep it quiet. Why would you hunt in pinpoint mode? Most people hunt in autotune 100% of the time with the CZ21 and then switch to disc 0 when they hit a target.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been using CZ21s for yrs - never ever ground balance - whether in New england waters or down south or in Caribean
never used that pumping method - my sensitivity I run from 7 to 10 and ground I set at 5
I just place coil to the soil and turn on and go - and I do just great
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been using CZ21s for yrs - never ever ground balance - whether in New england waters or down south or in Caribean
never used that pumping method - my sensitivity I run from 7 to 10 and ground I set at 5
I just place coil to the soil and turn on and go - and I do just great
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html

I only have 16 hours on my CZ21and I have two small wedding bands so far.
I have been using adamBomb's suggestion of running GB on 10. Since there doesn't seem to be any need to GB on my beaches.
What is the effect of running the GB on 5 (as you suggest) or on 10 as I am doing now?

If I understand GB correctly it compensates for phase shift caused by the minerals in the ground. So whihc is the minium compensation, zero or ten?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is the effect of running the GB on 5 (as you suggest) or on 10 as I am doing now?

Do some tests on your machine to see if makes a difference. I would air test it at first and then test it when you are out in the field on some deep targets.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balancing my CZ21 here in Florida does nothing...Ive tested targets with GB set at 0, 5 and 10 and there was no difference in depth...so I run it at 5.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread