Questions about Fisher F75

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Loco:
I decided to keep it. Its the LTD model but before they added the DST. We have been experiencing a severe drought and nothing can find much. I did take it out and the chatter is tolerable. I was trying to learn it. Last week we got a lot of rain, then it got cold, so I went back out and noticed the chatter was a lot less. Im still learning the ground balance. Im still looking for a silver dime I burred 4 years ago about 6". Yes its the 5" DD. As soon as it warms up a little Ill try some more. My ground is very strange. I live in NE Alabama and on top of a bluff of a mountain.

Yes I know how to do that although I can see no advantage of switching freqs unless Im getting adjacent detector problems but I can also do that. Learning to read the ground minerals is what I really need to learn.

I got the F70...no DST.
I live in Birmingham, my soil is just as strange as yours if not stranger...red clay mineralization, heaping huge amounts of extra iron infused into my soil plus tons of iron targets from tiny to large because most sites I hunt in public parks used to have old homes and neighborhoods existing there.
I have a large old park within walking distance and I spend the bulk of my time there, most areas near the edges have a high amount of wifi and one area near an entrance is surrounded by electrical wires running on all sides.
This park, among many others around here, has been declared hunted out because after hunters visiting here for about 60 years most assume everything we can possibly find has been found...but they were all wrong.
Look at the pic below, all of those targets were found here and most came from this one difficult park including many from that difficult entrance area and there are many, many more.
More buffs, more Indians, many more dimes both rosies and mercs, some 200 year old flat buttons, the sterling Masonic coin, an 1880's V nickel plus that seated dime in the pic all came from that entrance with a huge amount of problems including sometimes massive EMI issues.
Hunted out, hardly, others just didn't know how to understand how deeper targets past 5" act around here in this devil dirt and all this iron because it is far from obvious and normal but I figured it out...the proof is in that pic of just a few of my better treasures I found most past that 5" depth mark.
I found it all using three coils, the big DD, the elliptical concentric and the 5" DD...the small sniper is my most used coil here and all three coils have gotten me to the same depth, so far 8", and I bet in your area like I have found in mine there is probably a target rich layer at the 6-8" area in the bad stuff that most others don't even know is there but the Fishers can see them and tell you they do...but you need to learn a different language and indicators to realize this.
Even in the better black stuff here GB numbers and my mineralization bars run high...most of the time I GB at the mid 60's to the low 80's, I have 3 mineralization bars on my rig and those run always at 2 and are maxed out at 3 more often than not.
These Fishers are designed to up-average all targets around iron and this is a great thing and a huge reason I could learn to find those deeper hidden and masked treasures that others missed for decades.
The numbers will run unusually high in this kind of soil, the deeper you go past just a few inches they will soar, everything past 4-5" will not be close to normal and even deep nickels come in like silver halves and dollars will in normal soil.
You want to find that 6" silver dime, better not assume it will begin the low to mid 70's normal numbers that deep nor will it come in stable with only a small 1-3 number jump....start looking for a high range of numbers that repeats from two directions and if it acts anything like my dirt it will be a larger range of numbers from the high 80's to low 90's.
That's how you find things in this mineralization filled dirt, that's a big part of this new language I needed to learn.
Learn this new language and you will find that dime even if you are using the small sniper coil.

I started my career here in the south and hunted all over but like most could never get much past the 5" area no matter what brand or detectors any of us used.
I moved to Kansas for three years and that soil was heavenly and I thanked the MD gods I could hunt there every time I went out.
When we decided to move back here I got depressed...how to you go from heaven to hell and be happy doing this hobby having had a taste of the good stuff?
I was planning on getting a PI unit, it was the only thing I could think of that might combat this devil dirt and all this iron and get me to that 6-8" depth area or more that I suspected held a ton of great targets but were all but unrecognizable to most normal VLF detectors.
Stubborn me I vowed to try to solve the problem, unlock the key to this difficult Alabama dirt before I gave up and bought that PI because digging tons of trash is just not my thing anymore.
With time, experience and some outside the box thinking I succeeded...again the proof is in that pic below.

You don't need boost, you don't need DST, you don't need to turn that F75 to extremely high levels to get deep and find great things in this state, you just need to understand how things work here, a new language and some special target behavior and use a tool that is capable of teaching you that language...and you have one.
Learn to understand it and the sky is the limit....trust me, I know.

Attachments

• F70 Ala. finds.jpg
    F70 Ala. finds.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I know how to do that although I can see no advantage of switching freqs unless Im getting adjacent detector problems but I can also do that. Learning to read the ground minerals is what I really need to learn.

When I get ready to hunt and the F75 is a little chatty, I flip through the 7 freqs and use the one that quiets the detector.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advice, Thank you for all the info. I completely understand what your saying, At this point I don't even pay any attention to the readings Im just looking for a repeatable signal and I did, but I have only spent a couple hours with it. I decided not to even try after 1 hour with the dry ground, now its wet but its either raining or too cold to go out. I had started to ignore everything I knew and just start digging and see what things read and how the sound and commit them to memory as I learn.
My house was built in 1964 and before that there was a older house about 200 ft in front of this existing house and a well. I have only found about 3 coins in the year and about 7 mason jar lids and a 60's USA military collar button. I know there is a lot more here. I also know that 3 houses down was a high school party spot back in the 30s on the edge of the bluff. Only problem is the owners keep it like a park and would not let anyone dig a hole or even probe. If I out live them I may get he chance to detect it but I know the put sod over the area. I haven't found any coins around the bluff edges and I know there should be some there. I have pictures of an old map from the 20s that show housed were on this road. So there was activity, I have also found insulators on the trees from my yard to the house next door. I can search over there but have not found anything there either except a few modern coins. I do have a whites coinmaster PI which I haven't tried yet.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you know how to do a factory reset and how to switch between the seven frequencies. You do not need to run the F75 wide open on sensitivity, I normally use between 65 & 75 in town. Good Luck with the F75, it's been my go-to detector for a little over 2 years..
With your advice on the phone and on this website, I will purchase the 75 in April or May. In the mean time, I will study the manual on the computer. Have a Happy New Year and I hope that you will find more in the new year then you did this year. Good hunting and good luck.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is cold and snow on the ground in Connecticut, I am planing in purchase a new Fisher 75 in April or May. Good hunting and good luck.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now is the time to make yourself a list of the 25 spots you want to detect when you get it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get ready to hunt and the F75 is a little chatty, I flip through the 7 freqs and use the one that quiets the detector.

How easy or hard to learn how to use this detector? I am planing in purchasing one in April or May because there is snow and it is cold in Connecticut. What is 7 freqs is all about? The good thing, is Kellyco website has manuals for all the detectors that they sell. I will study it for months, then decide if it is too hard for me to learn. Good hunting and good luck.

Sam

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual and lots of videos by the designer are on fishers web site. Watch those and he will teach you all you need to know.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How easy or hard to learn how to use this detector? I am planing in purchasing one in April or May because there is snow and it is cold in Connecticut. What is 7 freqs is all about? The good thing, is Kellyco website has manuals for all the detectors that they sell. I will study it for months, then decide if it is too hard for me to learn. Good hunting and good luck.

Sam

Happily, it works very well on the factory defaults as a "close-and-play" detector. And it is easy to do a factory reset when you turn it on. But from there you can customize it. And the screen shows all the menu choices. I don't think there is an easier detector yo use that is as sophisticated when desired.

I'm still learning on mine after 10 years but having a good time at it.

Last edited:

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some you tube vids with the F75 sensitivity turned right down and still getting very good depth. I have experimented with the dst on and off. I live on a farm that has a restaurant and picnic grounds so I do alot of night detecting. I find that the EMI issue is when I am right over an underground electrical cable or within several yards of one. The DST and channel shifting ,turning sensitivity down to nothing just doesnt help. But, if I walk 20 paces away it runs super stable and sens can go back up. Most people I know never really use cache mode and some have said the boost only adds 1/2 inch?
I never really use the FA. I have experimented comprehensively and believe that the F75 is a truley excellent detector when using it with basic ( but correctly selected) settings.
I am just wondering if the boost and cache and FA are a bit over rated? I would love to hear from someone who regularly uses the LTD s extra features.
I couldnt be happier with my F75. I still use my F5 alot when hiking as it weighs less and can be a real magic wand when relic hunting. But if Im doing some serious treasure hunting and want to know that I didnt miss anything I use the 75.
Loco gave some good advice often overlooked - take a minute to find the quietest channel. And remember what it says in the manual....the detector SHOULD run quiet. So no need to run huge gain. You might be creating alot of chatter with high sensitivity settings without much gain in depth.

cheers
Simon

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are all the processes and how/when/or if I use them. I do not use all the processes, I gave the ones I use red text .

FA Fast Audio I use this in trashy areas and normally swing my 5"DD coil. It's the fastest process, due to it's increased speed I do think you lose some depth, but it is the best for target separation while using a small coil.

DE Default I use this process on a majority of sites

JE Jewelry I am not a jewelry guy so I have not used this much. It is the hottest mode unless you have (BP). I think if I got a call that someone lost a gold earring or small gold chain, I would run this process if the site is not trashy.

BC Bottle Cap I have not had to use this since I have not hunted a site with a large amount of bottle caps.

PF Plowed Field If I am hunting a site that is rutty I do use this process since it reduces falsing. I have a fast sweep speed since I want to cover ground. I always grid a permission multiple times and with a few different coils when permitted.

BP Boost Process I have hunted sites in this mode but it does increase falsing. I mainly use it to get a better target ID on a deeper signal.

CL Cache Locating I have played around with this process but do not use it. It requires a slow sweep speed and how many underground utilities do you want to locate on a hunt???

I have hunted in all metal mode, but normally only when I drive to hunt in the East (20 hrs round trip) I run 2 tone and dig everything above iron. I do plan on playing with all metal mode a little more this season.

For the F75 being on the market for over a decade it is a very capable detector and I dig my share of keepers when I hunt with my friends who use either the CTX 3030 or XP Deus. The DST upgrade was well worth it in my opinion and I am looking forward to the next generation that provides a newer faster processor which in turn will allow for quicker response/better separation like some of the newest detectors from other manufacturers.

The deepest target I ever dug was a piece of lead pipe that was 14" deep in a corn field. All of my other finds have been 10" or less down in the soil.

Last edited:

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a big difference between cache and static all metal? I rarely see static all metal mentioned as a process that people use?
Apparently my detector is the last and most recent version that runs on a different platform from the earlier versions?
Im not sure what it runs on because it sure doesnt seem to be batteries :). Im way past 50 hours now on one set of batteries. i actually prefer a product towards the end of a long production run as most of the teething issues are sorted.
I often wonder how the owners of macro racers feel after the macro racer 2 was released relatively quickly after the racer 1?

cheers
Simon

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a difference.

"Static" works with the coil held motionless. It's like a longer-range pinpointer feature. All other modes you should move the coil fast. The F-75 likes a fast sweep.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread with a lot of useful info. Thanks! I appreciate it and cant wait to get my F75.
I am glad it is new and at a store as I felt bad for all the confusion the OP must of had and went through.
Wonder if he still has it and if he does, does he like it... or did he resell and move on to something else.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a scale of the TDI on the F-75 for items outdoors, dug or placed. I kept a log as this was the first detector I had with a display.

F75 TDI Scale.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a scale of the TDI on the F-75 for items outdoors, dug or placed. I kept a log as this was the first detector I had with a display.

View attachment 1406928

Initially I used the notch because I never had that luxury, but now I look and listen to everything unless there is a particular trash item I want out for where I am. I could go to the local park and dig nothing but coins . . . but without the notch I found a LOT more jewelry.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a scale of the TDI on the F-75 for items outdoors, dug or placed. I kept a log as this was the first detector I had with a display. Haven't found a gold coin, yet, so I had to place Mylar flip coins on the dirt.

View attachment 1406928

Initially I used the notch because I never had that luxury, but now I look and listen to everything unless there is a particular trash item I want out for where I am. I could go to the local park and dig nothing but coins . . . but without the notch I found a LOT more jewelry.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1406928

Awesome info. Thanks Charlie P! You guys rock on this site!:headbang:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
About that fast sweep thing...
In good soil it definitely works especially on the deeper stuff.
In Kansas soil I got much better and more stable numbers and tones when I found a jumpy target deep and made some very quick side to side passes over the target area and that was with more than one kind of coil.
However if you are hunting in extreme iron infested sites or in dirt that is pretty mineralized, both problems I have in spades at most sites I hunt in now, a fast swing speed won't work...slow movements are the way to go and I mean really slow, painfully slow for me because I am a naturally fast swinger.
Whether I an using boost or the faster DE process the only way I am able to pick out hints of better non ferrous targets hiding and severely masked in my dirt around all this iron is to crawl slowly inch by inch and let the machine gather all the info possible on all targets and the dirt it is hiding in and figure it out.
Even using the smallest sniper coil.
I don't have FA but even if I did I don't believe it would work here any better because of the difficulties I have.

I can tell you that in a state with great soil but in sites with ridiculous amounts of iron or here in this mess I hunt in now I have been shockingly successful finding targets in so called hunted out or sites so difficult to hunt most that have tried only visited once and never came back.
It was that slow coil speed that enabled me to do it all, that and some outside the box thinking on some settings and learning some new behavior about how targets act in these types of challenging sites.
With my regular swing speed, or really fast speed that worked well in better dirt under normal conditions, I don't believe I would have found anywhere near the treasure I have including several bucket list items missed by so many.
Hardly any as a matter of fact, I would have passed right over them and not noticed the indicators that show up much better and sometimes only for an instant going slow.

Different sites, dirt and conditions might call for different techniques and methods, not one way works optimally everywhere I have found.
Luckily the Fishers with all their settings and abilities are up to the task and can be successful anywhere and everywhere with some experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions