Questions about Fisher F75

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to upgrade and think the F75 would do nicely. However after doing some internet research I am bewildered with questions.
I see there are or is 3 models of the F75. The F75, the F75 Se and the F75 LTD.
I also see there was an upgrade available to upgrade the F75 to the extra modes. However It ran out.
I also see there are advertisements for the anniversary edition and the "new edition"
Further I see there was some problems with some models in the past. As well as Fisher sold out to another company.

There are some good prices all of a sudden on the net. Like the F75 for $599 and the F75 with 3 coils for $649
I am interested the in 3 coil deal for $649

1. I would like to know if there is any changes to the standard model F75 from the original release date and the newest ones advertised.
2. What is the difference between the latest offering and the SE and LTD. Is it only the boost mode and cash mode.
3. Is the latest F75 better then the original F75 as far as EMI problems and sensitivity?
4. Im wondering why they are on sale now. I see the F75 listed from over $1000 to under $600

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Get the 85th Anniversary Model. You will not be disappointed! If you have questions you can always call Fisher and they can fill you in on the different versions of the F75. I purchased an original F75 in 2007 and did the DST upgrade. I never had a lot of problems with EMI but went for the upgrade for all the extra bells and whistles. Watch the video in the link. Keith Southern is well known and respected and tells it like it is in his videos.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the 2, The $649 3 coil deal Im looking at has the DST and digital serial number, also free shipping. The anniversary model has 1 coil and is $599. Im pretty sure they are the same model detector.
Features

• Ability to activate and deactivate DST Mode (Digital Shielding Technology) for the ultimate in EMI Suppression
  • FA (Fast Process) – Improved Target Separation
  • Three new levels of FeTone: Iron Audio Off, Low or Medium (complements existing “High” setting)
  • Adjustable Audio Pitch now in the Discrimination Mode
  • Embedded Serial Number – Serialization now stored electronically
  • Lightest Weight / Best Ergonomics in the Industry
  • Powerful Performance Trigger-Actuated Target Pinpointing with Variable Audio Pitch
  • Large LCD Screen with 0-99 Numeric Target Identification Display
  • Double-Filter Discrimination Modes for Searching in Trashy Areas
  • Magnetic Mineralization Bar Graph and Readout
  • Trigger-Actuated FASTGRAB Ground Balance
  • Non-Volatile Memory Saves Settings
  • Backlight – For Low Light Hunting Conditions
  • Low Operating Cost – Typically 40+ Hours with 4-AA Alkaline Batteries
  • 6.5" Elliptical Search Coil
  • 10" Elliptical Search Coil
  • 11" DD Double-D Search Coil

Whites DFX
Whites Coinmaster GT
Whites Eagle SL
Garrett GTA 1000
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Deep seeker

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My experience is similar to James.

Bought the original (75se) months after the F-75 was introduced and had it upgraded to the LTD2 ($309 upgrade).

EMI seems to be a problem for some, but I have always been able to get mine stable. May have to turn down the sensitivity, but am thankful for the ability to crank it way up when conditions allow.

I have the 11" original, the 6.5" elliptical and a NEL Sharpshooter. The latter pretty much stays on mine at all times anymore. I'm a coin shooter. In a really trashy area I'd use the 6.5"

Get a good set of headphones.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand there are 2 models right now on the market. The F75 with DST and the F75 Limited or LTD which also comes with DST, Boost Process, Cache Process, FeTone/ Iron audio off, FA (Fast Process) for better target separation. I believe the regular F75 doesn't come with Boost process and Cache process.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are F75's for sale saying there Special Editions on the box but there just F75 Anniversary editions. there are also F75's for sale in newer boxes that don't say Special edition b ut are 85th Anaversary Editions. Then there are SE LTD models. I just bought a used F75 SE off ebay that the guy listed as a Special Edition so I asked him if it was a true SE with boost and cash and all the extras. No answer yet. The box has F75 Special Edition 75th anniversary edition as I have seen in other sales but his also has an extra sticker that says Special Edition. However the Arm Cuff just has F75. The new SE's have Special Edition on the cuff. Looking at the Fisher site the manual says the F75 Special Edition has the Boost and cash but the F75 doesn't and there is no more LTD. Its all very confusing. Also the new ones are 85th anniversary editions. Im will int to pay up for the boost and cash but not for one that's a SE without it.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are F75's for sale saying there Special Editions on the box but there just F75 Anniversary editions. there are also F75's for sale in newer boxes that don't say Special edition b ut are 85th Anaversary Editions. Then there are SE LTD models. I just bought a used F75 SE off ebay that the guy listed as a Special Edition so I asked him if it was a true SE with boost and cash and all the extras. No answer yet. The box has F75 Special Edition 75th anniversary edition as I have seen in other sales but his also has an extra sticker that says Special Edition. However the Arm Cuff just has F75. The new SE's have Special Edition on the cuff. Looking at the Fisher site the manual says the F75 Special Edition has the Boost and cash but the F75 doesn't and there is no more LTD. Its all very confusing. Also the new ones are 85th anniversary editions. Im will int to pay up for the boost and cash but not for one that's a SE without it.

I bought mine at ebay and its a Limited Camo edition. So its the old LTD with Boost and Cache process but no DST. So far its working awesome. People tend to think that the machine is very emi unstable. I'm not saying that the F75 will never suffer from emi, (most detectors do at some point suffer from emi) but its so sensitive that it simply picks up every mineral, thats on the ground. When I swing my Gold Bug Pro its very quiet I might say. But when I swing on the very same test garden at home this thing picks up everything and I mean everything! I only have approx 15-17 hours of run time on my new F75. I could have more but its been pouring here almost every single day. I got out today for like 3.5 hours and when I headed home, yes, it started to rain. So I just hope the weather clears up!

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out that the seller is selling for a friend and doesn't know anything about it. He listed what the box said which was 75th anniversary special special edition which I'm pretty sure all anniversary models said. Except his had a 2nd sticker that said Special Edition which I did not see on any other boxes. I told him to look at the manual and turn it on and look for the boost and cash mode. I have no Idea how to tell if its been modified by Fisher, There labeling system is really bad and confusing. If its a real SE with boost and cm and DST I would be happy. If not I think I will buy a new F75 with DST. $599 or $649 with 3 coils, unless I can find a used SE or LTD cheaper. From what I can find out its one of the deepest detectors out there. Post a review when you can.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to the seller today and he said the Detector has the boost and cash mode but could not verify the DST. Holding the push button and the toggle switch and turning it on it comes up with 80 and not 90 as it should with DTS. Turning it on normally he says it comes up with LTD on the screen. Im now wondering if it could be a Limited Edition 75th Anniversary edition. Anyway I will get it in a few days. I hope I can get it upgraded with DST.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was the first year available. Gold shaft, just has a winged "F" in the cuff. Doesn't state the model anywhere . Not even F-75. The box has a gold lettered "Special Edition" in script and a round badge, which as far as I know was the only edition at the time.

HPIM1351_zpsbb3a0766.jpg

Who knows what all is out there anymore? I've had mine back twice - once for the waterproof display head gasket and the second time for the upgraded to LTD2. The only real way to know is to turn it on and see what the welcome screen displays and then see what the menu lists as modes.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To know if it is the newest model it will have the FA process. LTD's were limited runs and came in either camo or black. I have a black with boost and also had mine upgraded back in 2015.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am believing this is a Limited model without DST. As it comes up and displays LTD. The cuff says Special Edition though. Fisher really screwed the pooch with there labeling. It seems all F5s sold said Special Edition on the box.

What did they charge you for the update?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A basic upgrade was about $140 I believe, going all the way $309 seems to stick in my mind.
Extending warranties cost a bit more but another option.

Some bought one new with DST, others had theirs upgraded.
There are many that love what happened after they used them.

Others upgraded to DST and weren't so happy...not a lot but some.
They say they feel they lost some depth and or it slowed down their machine...a tiny bit more lag they had before and they regretted doing it.
For new owners there would be nothing to compare to, for older owners with many hours on their machines this would be noticeable if it actually happened.

There are some that could not use their machines at certain sites because it drove them crazy with noise, then with DST things changed dramatically and their upgraded machines worked way better in those same sites.
Others never had problems with noise at any sites even without DST.

Some had no DST, insisted on using very high settings thinking it will get the absolute deepest, and I am not talking about 1.5 to 2' but for normal deep depths like 8-12", and didn't like the noise...others learned that super high settings aren't really all that necessary to get to those same deeper areas where the good stuff is hiding in the right soil and could hunt quietly.
The sense on this thing is not like on many other units...75 is not 3/4 power, 50 is not 50% power, 33 is not 1/3 power...they are all deeper than they logically might seem.

Some, like me, use all kinds of settings, low and super quiet up to pretty much maxed out and noisy and learned to deal with it all.
I have no DST, it will never be an option on my F70 but I don't care...I wouldn't choose to get it if it was.
Not sour grapes, I just learned to use it a specific way very successfully and I would hate to change it and loose that ability or need to learn a whole new set of skills to end up with the same results.

They are planning another round of upgrades soon so you will have that choice in due time.
My advice isto use yours as much as possible, explore the different settings and see what they can do and then make your decision.
The upgrade gives you the new shielding and depending on how far you go some new processes that might be useful to you, on the other hand none of it might matter to you at all and you might not need or use them.

Take your time and decide...the original models were always pretty popular and known to be very productive and extra deep before all this DST stuff became available.
Sometimes fixing what ain't broke can be prudent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger27:
Thanks for the thoughts. I emailed Fisher and they said to send it in and they would tell me what I have. What a sad state of affairs. Why couldn't they just labeled them as they came out with new enhancements? They also said the upgrades were a promotional offer and no longer available. I sure would like to see the guts of the newest one and the older ones what is different. I suspect an eprom with the changes.
I did a search for different manuals and her is what I found. All the web addresses are different but some manuals the same and some different.
If you buy one on Ebay better check it out as they can call a 75th Anaversary Edition can be advertised as a Special Edition even if it doesn't have boost and cash. Without a picture of the box you also cant tell if it has DST or is enhanced.

F75 = https://tinyurl.com/gt3k46d
F75 75th Anniversary Special Edition = https://tinyurl.com/hgs6aqk
F75 Enhanced = https://tinyurl.com/h6c8c4x
F75 SE = http://tinyurl.com/zuhlww5
F75 LTD = https://tinyurl.com/htbt7ux
F75 LTD Enhanced = https://tinyurl.com/jn4eubm

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The newest one, with DST and a few upgraded processes but no boost or cache that you can get from many dealers for $500 new is the 85th anniversary edition.
The 75th anniversary editions are many forms of the older ones.
It seems some have boost and cache, some don't and the same with DST.
Many have the new one and love it, according to Dave J. he has never heard of anybody actually finding a cache using any model in cache mode, and boost is nice especially for hovering over corn stalks and things and even if it can help a little in normal hunting the regular DE default speed still goes pretty darn deep without it.
On mine in good soil using the 11" F75 type DD coil I dug my deepest target ever at a measured 15".
I did have the thresh and sense bumped way up but I was not using boost...just DE.
You get a warranty with a new one...that is a deal breaker for many when you don't.

If I was in the market I would take the $500 or the $649 multiple coil new model all day long over an unknown used one...especially with the lack of basic information you can gather about it.
But that is me.

That upgrade period they had, don't quote me but I believe they had one, ended it and then months later brought it out and offered it again.
If so there could be another round in the future if you get the used one but only Fisher knows if that will happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to get the new F75 but thought I wanted the boost and thought the DST was on most, after I won the auction I learned different but its too late now. I did get 2 coils with it. I will try it and possible resell it. Since I will know exactly what it is I should be able to get what I paid or more since its a true SE model.

I haven't seen any F75's for $499 everyone I have found is $599

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It might still work pretty darn well, extra coils is a bonus.

That $599 price...lowest price any dealer can advertise or they can lose their dealership.
Same on all prices on any brands and products for any new models, why do you think they are all pretty much exactly the same on every website?
Call most of them up or contact them in an email, however, and $500 is the price most will discount down to on this one.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was about to get the new F75 but thought I wanted the boost and thought the DST was on most, after I won the auction I learned different but its too late now. I did get 2 coils with it. I will try it and possible resell it. Since I will know exactly what it is I should be able to get what I paid or more since its a true SE model.

I haven't seen any F75's for $499 everyone I have found is $599

SO did you swing the F75? How was your experience with EMI? I normally run my at sensitivity 65-75 and don't think I am loosing much depth if any. I hope your extra coil is the 5"DD, that thing gets crazy depth.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco:
I decided to keep it. Its the LTD model but before they added the DST. They had a upgrade offer but its over. I emailed Fisher but they said they couldn't update it but might offer the program again next year. We have been experiencing a severe drought and nothing can find much. I did take it out and the chatter is tolerable. I was trying to learn it. Last week we got a lot of rain, then it got cold, so I went back out and noticed the chatter was a lot less. Im still learning the ground balance. Im still looking for a silver dime I burred 4 years ago about 6". Yes its the 5" DD. As soon as it warms up a little Ill try some more. My ground is very strange. I live in NE Alabama and on top of a bluff of a mountain.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco:
I decided to keep it. Its the LTD model but before they added the DST. They had a upgrade offer but its over. I emailed Fisher but they said they couldn't update it but might offer the program again next year. We have been experiencing a severe drought and nothing can find much. I did take it out and the chatter is tolerable. I was trying to learn it. Last week we got a lot of rain, then it got cold, so I went back out and noticed the chatter was a lot less. Im still learning the ground balance. Im still looking for a silver dime I burred 4 years ago about 6". Yes its the 5" DD. As soon as it warms up a little Ill try some more. My ground is very strange. I live in NE Alabama and on top of a bluff of a mountain.

Make sure you know how to do a factory reset and how to switch between the seven frequencies. You do not need to run the F75 wide open on sensitivity, I normally use between 65 & 75 in town. Good Luck with the F75, it's been my go-to detector for a little over 2 years..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread