F75 (anniversary) Christmas special detector package

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Loco I get more use from my smaller coils. Depends whet you hunt and where. On a beach a 15" would be ducky. In the goldenrod, saplings, cellar holes or trashy parks and picnic spots . . . not so much.

Fisher sets a minimum for what price distributors can sell at. But I found you can negotiate with things like pinpointers or headphones to be "thrown in" as part of a deal.

I would definitely recommend headphones. Even ear buds.

I started with a used "old-technology" analog detector and still have it as a loaner. It hits just as deep as my F-75 but lacks any notch or notifications for avoiding junk. Does discriminate. If you don't mind digging EVERYTHING it still gets the job done. But you'd better like bottle caps and pull tabs.

At the time I bought my F75se it included an F-Point pinpointer in the box. I may be the only person in the world that likes the F-Point. I have a Sunray FX-1 probe but still carry the F-Point in my finds bag. Quick and simple.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Loco I get more use from my smaller coils. Depends whet you hunt and where. On a beach a 15" would be ducky. In the goldenrod, saplings, cellar holes or trashy parks and picnic spots . . . not so much.

Fisher sets a minimum for what price distributors can sell at. But I found you can negotiate with things like pinpointers or headphones to be "thrown in" as part of a deal.

I would definitely recommend headphones. Even ear buds.

I started with a used "old-technology" analog detector and still have it as a loaner. It hits just as deep as my F-75 but lacks any notch or notifications for avoiding junk. Does discriminate. If you don't mind digging EVERYTHING it still gets the job done. But you'd better like bottle caps and pull tabs.

At the time I bought my F75se it included an F-Point pinpointer in the box. I may be the only person in the world that likes the F-Point. I have a Sunray FX-1 probe but still carry the F-Point in my finds bag. Quick and simple.

Yes Charlie... I think you are the only one that likes the F-point. I bought the Bounty Hunter version back in 2014 and once I found out it only has a range of between 1/2" & 3/4" I turned it into a paper weight. I have a Probe, like you, but find it awkward to use now that I am hooked on using a good pin pointer. I like to have 1.5" to 2.5" range from a pin pointer.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still detecting at 2.5"! I like to know I am close for pinpointing. 3/4" is ideal. Aim small, miss small.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I third the recommendation to get a decent pinpointer on day one. Mandatory accessory (I hate to even use the term accessory because it almost implies that a pinpointer is a "nice to have" vs. an absolute necessity). Unless you are primarily beach hunting and can just scoop up the target with a sand scoop or are adept at your detectors' pinpointing and depth indications (which only comes after hundreds of hours on a machine) and are hunting primarily shallow targets that you can pop out with a screwdriver, a good pinpointer is a must have. The when digging in dirt, targets are discolored and are often indistinguishable from the dirt you are taking out of the hole or you may be off a little on your detector pinpointing and the target resides in the sidewall of the hole you are digging. Also, get a towel or frisbee or something to contain the dirt you pull out of the hole so you can scan it for the target with the pinpointer and it makes it easier to replace the dirt before you replace the plug you just dug after target recovery. Also learn the plug method of digging that leaves no trace you just dug a hole in that carpet like park grass field and along with the right reocovery digging tools (sturdy gardening tools like a weeding prong or trowel will work until you decide to upgrade to a hobby specific digging tool). A wraparound cheap tool/nail apron makes a great digging pouch to hold your digger/pinpointer/towel and finds. These are the little things you may not think about but that will make your life a lot easier the first time you go out. Believe me, you will find out quickly what additional accessories you really need the first time you go out with your brand new toy. I personally do recommend the F75 for you vs. the AT pro. I have used both and find the F75 to be something you will not need to upgrade from for a long time. A less expensive Teknetics Delta which doesn't have ground balancing and other bells and whistles is a great backup or starter detector with a great performance to value ratio. I have a lot of high end detectors for different types of detecting but have still hung on to my Tek Delta since it was the first or second detector that I owned and learned with. Enjoy!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I third the recommendation to get a decent pinpointer on day one. Mandatory accessory (I hate to even use the term accessory because it almost implies that a pinpointer is a "nice to have" vs. an absolute necessity). Unless you are primarily beach hunting and can just scoop up the target with a sand scoop or are adept at your detectors' pinpointing and depth indications (which only comes after hundreds of hours on a machine) and are hunting primarily shallow targets that you can pop out with a screwdriver, a good pinpointer is a must have. The when digging in dirt, targets are discolored and are often indistinguishable from the dirt you are taking out of the hole or you may be off a little on your detector pinpointing and the target resides in the sidewall of the hole you are digging. Also, get a towel or frisbee or something to contain the dirt you pull out of the hole so you can scan it for the target with the pinpointer and it makes it easier to replace the dirt before you replace the plug you just dug after target recovery. Also learn the plug method of digging that leaves no trace you just dug a hole in that carpet like park grass field and along with the right reocovery digging tools (sturdy gardening tools like a weeding prong or trowel will work until you decide to upgrade to a hobby specific digging tool). A wraparound cheap tool/nail apron makes a great digging pouch to hold your digger/pinpointer/towel and finds. These are the little things you may not think about but that will make your life a lot easier the first time you go out. Believe me, you will find out quickly what additional accessories you really need the first time you go out with your brand new toy. I personally do recommend the F75 for you vs. the AT pro. I have used both and find the F75 to be something you will not need to upgrade from for a long time. A less expensive Teknetics Delta which doesn't have ground balancing and other bells and whistles is a great backup or starter detector with a great performance to value ratio. I have a lot of high end detectors for different types of detecting but have still hung on to my Tek Delta since it was the first or second detector that I owned and learned with. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
I was looking to start with a good digging tool, a pin pointer and a decent detector. From all that I have read, they are the essentials!
I also get the clean hole idea and planned on doing a lot in the back section of my yard to get it down perfect. Figured if you can leave no trace, nobody can complain.
I like the frisbee idea. I was thinking a trash bad as it has dual usage but like the frisbee as it has dual usage as well!

I dropped off the AT Pro from my list. Checked it out in person and didn't like its feel.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of a frisbee I cut a 1 ft diameter rubber pad out of a tractor innertube. I can kneel on it when it's wet out or use it to hold the dirt when dry. Then tip it back in the hold and fold it into my pouch.

I cut a flap - three stabs and flip the sod over on the "hinge". This keeps the roots somewhat intact. When the dirt goes back in off the pad I can then just flip the sod back over. No hole. Groundskeeper approved at the local town park I hunted at on my lunchbreaks.

This is just in my own yard (more weeds than grass) without the rubber pad but you can see the three stabbed side-walls. The better you pinpoint first with the detector the smaller the hole needed. And if you lift as you sweep over a good target you can get a good idea of the depth as well.

HPIM0175.jpg

HPIM0183.jpg

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of a frisbee I cut a 1 ft diameter rubber pad out of a tractor innertube. I can kneel on it when it's wet out or use it to hold the dirt when dry. Then tip it back in the hold and fold it into my pouch.

I cut a flap - three stabs and flip the sod over on the "hinge". This keeps the roots somewhat intact. When the dirt goes back in off the pad I can then just flip the sod back over. No hole. Groundskeeper approved at the local town park I hunted at on my lunchbreaks.

This is just in my own yard (more weeds than grass) without the rubber pad but you can see the three stabbed side-walls. The better you pinpoint first with the detector the smaller the hole needed. And if you lift as you sweep over a good target you can get a good idea of the depth as well.

View attachment 1407415

View attachment 1407414

Nice post Charlie! Good pics and all. Where did you get that digger? Did you make it? I guess this will all be a work in progress, the more input the better and info from all sources will be taken in to get the best way to do it all. :occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was made by a company called Oklahoma Electronics and they have been gone for some time.

Wish I had ordered a case of these. Indestructible (so far) and the grip is perfect for the push into soil. The Lesche 85 is better in rocks or roots but for lawns and parks this one is da bomb. And you don't get the panicked looks from moms at tot-lots and playgrounds that the Lesche sometimes gets.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. I been treasure hunting for many years in Connecticut. On beaches, I kick the sand where I get notices that there is somethings below and I dig the sand up and only removing the coins and jewel and leave the junk behind. I had used many brands of detectors. This April or May, I will purchase from Kellyco a new Fisher 75 detector and their brand of Pin Pointer. I agree with all members that you need a good Pin Pointer to save time and effect. Good hunting and good luck.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was made by a company called Oklahoma Electronics and they have been gone for some time.

Wish I had ordered a case of these. Indestructible (so far) and the grip is perfect for the push into soil. The Lesche 85 is better in rocks or roots but for lawns and parks this one is da bomb. And you don't get the panicked looks from moms at tot-lots and playgrounds that the Lesche sometimes gets.

That stinks that they went out of business. I think I could fab up something similar in my shop. Looks similar to one of my concrete trowels with an old bicycle grip on it. Does that sound about right? That is what I see from the pic on my pc.

I can see mommies looks as I pull out my Croc Dundee 18" Bowie... Ahhh, thats a knife!!! Yea the Big name diggers do look a lil scary but I collect knives and have made a few from scratch so maybe I can invent the next best thing!

Plus I was thinking you should have 3 or 4 different diggers/trowels. Thats what I was gonna do and I have few goodies in my cellar that will find their way into my bag.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has a 7/8" steel tube under the grip welded to the blade at 90°. The blade is not stainless but wicked hard. 1095 perhaps? A Gorbet file barely touches it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks that they went out of business. I think I could fab up something similar in my shop. Looks similar to one of my concrete trowels with an old bicycle grip on it. Does that sound about right? That is what I see from the pic on my pc.

I can see mommies looks as I pull out my Croc Dundee 18" Bowie... Ahhh, thats a knife!!! Yea the Big name diggers do look a lil scary but I collect knives and have made a few from scratch so maybe I can invent the next best thing!

Plus I was thinking you should have 3 or 4 different diggers/trowels. Thats what I was gonna do and I have few goodies in my cellar that will find their way into my bag.

Yeah. You got it re the diggers. Charlie's innertube idea is good, I did the same with some scrap rubber matting or any old towel or golf towel with the handy clip will do the trick. The frisbee is a little bulky to carry into the field so I use it mainly to sort finds back at my vehicle. If yo do use it for dirt retention and target recovery, make sure it doesn't have metal foil decorative rings or it will defeat the whole purpose lol. If you can homebrew something like that plug digger he has, that would be great plus you might find some interested folks on the site who would want some made ;). Need to purchase a charter membership to list stuff in the classifieds, tho. So get that detector and get out there and start digging. You never know what you will find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread