f 75 small coil need some advice on detector.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same arena as you and wanted a machine with a smaller coil but with the Deus performance and opted for the Nokta Firs relic.
I do have an f 75 dst that I live to use also and I have the 3 x 6 elliptical concentric and 5in and nel snake for. All great coils. The 3 x 6 concentric seems to handle iron nails the best.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you are mainly a relic hunter and probably hunt in areas void of power lines, the older F75 (w/o DST) would be a good choice. If you decide to get one I do have a 3" x 6" concentric I will sell for a great price. I see an older version F75 being sold on the Bay, it's at $295 right now with 2 days 5 hrs remaining.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
My F70 has no DST, less filters and programs that could limit depth, chatty if I turn it up but super hot on all targets at most setting combinations.
Even maxed out and noisy it will find a way to tell you it is swinging over something good once you learn the language.
A rat rod, the definition of the word sleeper and even Dave Johnson has stated the marketing dept. at FTP never wants anyone to find out exactly how good and capable this thing really is.
In great soil in Kansas the big DD F75 coil on this one got me deeper than I usually wanted to dig in my public parks...in disc, easily to 12" but even up to a measured 15".
Using the sniper DD the depth can shock you.
10", no problem in good soil, even past that to 12"+ but on those you might get audio but no screen info, common using Fishers on extremely deep ones.

In the most heavily iron infested site I have ever hunted, one that sent other hunters screaming into the night, I used this one and the sniper coil plus some out of the box thinking on settings to become jaw dropping shockingly successful.
Some newer units are supposedly great in iron, these top end Fishers have had a rep for being one of the best tools on the planet to use in those situations for longer than these new types have been around and it is easy to do, again, once you learn to understand them.

I moved to Birmingham Alabama and use it now.
High mineralization, at least as high as yours if not more plus an extra helping of an unusually large amount of iron in my soil because of this city's history and geographic location.
Not to mention the usual amount of garbage iron you find left over in public parks where old neighborhoods that used to stand are knocked down.

Here, in the bad stuff, it is unusual to hear of any detectors from most brands get past 5" in depth.
To be precise we can get further but past that in most places the soil skews the numbers and signals into unrecognizable areas that most never understood or dug.
I have discovered a new language using my Fisher, one that can tell me very accurately about the deeper targets and I have found old coins, flat buttons and more going back to between 100-200 years in range at up to the 8" depth level so far in public sites that have been long abandoned by most other hunters around here because they have been declared hunted out.
They weren't, others just couldn't figure out the clues and indicators on the deeper targets like I learned how to do with my Fisher.
Most of these deeper targets were found with the sniper coil also as all three coils I use seem to be able to get to the same depth around here in this devil dirt but the sniper just makes it easier.
That 8" Mark might not be the limit either, I am always working to get deep as possible here and learn new behavior, indicators and more parts of this new language to make that possible even though there is a rich layer of targets in that 6-8" area that most others never knew existed.

The F75, the T2 and the F70 are all built on the same platform so have similar abilities but I love my raw version F70.
Way more than enough settings to conquer any site, and yes it has boost but regular speed can get you deeper than you might believe possible so not really needed.
It is all about raw power with this one, power to penetrate, power to see and give you data on targets no matter how deep and the superior speed and target separation abilities all Fishers are known for.

I don't need DST, mine works just fine even in areas surrounded by power lines and WiFi, I don't need those programs I would probably never use anyway, I much prefer to use my own settings and on this one you can adjust the threshold in disc which could possibly make a difference in some sites...you can't do that on the flagship units.
Dave J. has also mentioned the interface and hands on setting adjustability of this model is different enough that it might just be an extra edge for those that know how to take advantage of them...something I strive to do on every hunt.

I can see why the older no DST unit was recommended for its sparkier, hotter nature.
Many have it, upgraded to it and saw a decrease in performance, not all but some.
In my mind the prehistoric F70 is the hottest of all precisely because it has less of what I don't need but a huge amount of what I do.

I concur...a sparky F75 can be a bit noisy but that is part of the language and easily understood and dealt with.
An F70 has most of what this one would have, all you would need and at a much lower price, too.
I bought mine second hand but pretty much new for $400, it was never outside or had seen dirt before I got it.
One of the best purchases I have ever made in this hobby for me so far.
Three years with mine and despite all the jaw dropping experiences in both great and horrible soil and all the bucket list items it has found in some incredibly difficult sites I have barely touched the surface if what it can really do as far as I am concerned.

Just a couple of posts from Dave J...woof on the forums.
If I am not mistaken John Gardiner was the lead engineer on the F70, I think the original F75 was Dave's and John's together so at the very least he has his stamp and DNA on both designs so if you want some true information straight from the source start here.

"The F70 was the product of a mission-- to come up with a less expensive adaptation of the F75, while incorporating things we had learned meanwhile. Without "dumbing it down". Because the F70 was advertised for a lot less money than the F75, marketing dept. didn't quite dare to say how good the damn thing really was. Some of the secret sauce we put into the F70 eventually made its way into later revisions of the F75 group of machines, as well as into the Teknetics "Fratbros" series and most other new beeps introduced after the F70.

As the top of the Fisher lineup, the F75 including its revisions got all the attention. That's how the F70 became a "sleeper". Guys like Mudpuppy will never have to wonder if they should have gotten an F75 instead.

F70 owners never have to wonder if they should "upgrade" to an F75.

The F70 has a very good reputation to the extent that it's got one at all. It's just not very well known because it wound up in a "sleeper" market niche. In terms of basic performance it's comparable to the F75LTD. User interface is more user-friendly, and the discrimination system has some secret sauce that helps it run a little quieter and more predictably on trashy sites. Between the two I actually prefer the F70."

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F70 has no DST, less filters and programs that could limit depth, chatty if I turn it up but super hot on all targets at most setting combinations.
Even maxed out and noisy it will find a way to tell you it is swinging over something good once you learn the language.
A rat rod, the definition of the word sleeper and even Dave Johnson has stated the marketing dept. at FTP never wants anyone to find out exactly how good and capable this thing really is.
In great soil in Kansas the big DD F75 coil on this one got me deeper than I usually wanted to dig in my public parks...in disc, easily to 12" but even up to a measured 15".
Using the sniper DD the depth can shock you.
10", no problem in good soil, even past that to 12"+ but on those you might get audio but no screen info, common using Fishers on extremely deep ones.

In the most heavily iron infested site I have ever hunted, one that sent other hunters screaming into the night, I used this one and the sniper coil plus some out of the box thinking on settings to become jaw dropping shockingly successful.
Some newer units are supposedly great in iron, these top end Fishers have had a rep for being one of the best tools on the planet to use in those situations for longer than these new types have been around and it is easy to do, again, once you learn to understand them.

I moved to Birmingham Alabama and use it now.
High mineralization, at least as high as yours if not more plus an extra helping of an unusually large amount of iron in my soil because of this city's history and geographic location.
Not to mention the usual amount of garbage iron you find left over in public parks where old neighborhoods that used to stand are knocked down.

Here, in the bad stuff, it is unusual to hear of any detectors from most brands get past 5" in depth.
To be precise we can get further but past that in most places the soil skews the numbers and signals into unrecognizable areas that most never understood or dug.
I have discovered a new language using my Fisher, one that can tell me very accurately about the deeper targets and I have found old coins, flat buttons and more going back to between 100-200 years in range at up to the 8" depth level so far in public sites that have been long abandoned by most other hunters around here because they have been declared hunted out.
They weren't, others just couldn't figure out the clues and indicators on the deeper targets like I learned how to do with my Fisher.
Most of these deeper targets were found with the sniper coil also as all three coils I use seem to be able to get to the same depth around here in this devil dirt but the sniper just makes it easier.
That 8" Mark might not be the limit either, I am always working to get deep as possible here and learn new behavior, indicators and more parts of this new language to make that possible even though there is a rich layer of targets in that 6-8" area that most others never knew existed.

The F75, the T2 and the F70 are all built on the same platform so have similar abilities but I love my raw version F70.
Way more than enough settings to conquer any site, and yes it has boost but regular speed can get you deeper than you might believe possible so not really needed.
It is all about raw power with this one, power to penetrate, power to see and give you data on targets no matter how deep and the superior speed and target separation abilities all Fishers are known for.

I don't need DST, mine works just fine even in areas surrounded by power lines and WiFi, I don't need those programs I would probably never use anyway, I much prefer to use my own settings and on this one you can adjust the threshold in disc which could possibly make a difference in some sites...you can't do that on the flagship units.
Dave J. has also mentioned the interface and hands on setting adjustability of this model is different enough that it might just be an extra edge for those that know how to take advantage of them...something I strive to do on every hunt.

I can see why the older no DST unit was recommended for its sparkier, hotter nature.
Many have it, upgraded to it and saw a decrease in performance, not all but some.
In my mind the prehistoric F70 is the hottest of all precisely because it has less of what I don't need but a huge amount of what I do.

I concur...a sparky F75 can be a bit noisy but that is part of the language and easily understood and dealt with.
An F70 has most of what this one would have, all you would need and at a much lower price, too.
I bought mine second hand but pretty much new for $400, it was never outside or had seen dirt before I got it.
One of the best purchases I have ever made in this hobby for me so far.
Three years with mine and despite all the jaw dropping experiences in both great and horrible soil and all the bucket list items it has found in some incredibly difficult sites I have barely touched the surface if what it can really do as far as I am concerned.

Just a couple of posts from Dave J...woof on the forums.
If I am not mistaken John Gardiner was the lead engineer on the F70, I think the original F75 was Dave's and John's together so at the very least he has his stamp and DNA on both designs so if you want some true information straight from the source start here.

"The F70 was the product of a mission-- to come up with a less expensive adaptation of the F75, while incorporating things we had learned meanwhile. Without "dumbing it down". Because the F70 was advertised for a lot less money than the F75, marketing dept. didn't quite dare to say how good the damn thing really was. Some of the secret sauce we put into the F70 eventually made its way into later revisions of the F75 group of machines, as well as into the Teknetics "Fratbros" series and most other new beeps introduced after the F70.

As the top of the Fisher lineup, the F75 including its revisions got all the attention. That's how the F70 became a "sleeper". Guys like Mudpuppy will never have to wonder if they should have gotten an F75 instead.

F70 owners never have to wonder if they should "upgrade" to an F75.

The F70 has a very good reputation to the extent that it's got one at all. It's just not very well known because it wound up in a "sleeper" market niche. In terms of basic performance it's comparable to the F75LTD. User interface is more user-friendly, and the discrimination system has some secret sauce that helps it run a little quieter and more predictably on trashy sites. Between the two I actually prefer the F70."

What I find amazing is the new F75 with DST is cheaper than the F70 from the Vendors.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yes, a fantastic deal.
I started a sub forum social club for F70 users on another forum so we can share settings, theories and tips and a couple of new anniversary F75 edition owners showed up too.
From what they tell me and what I can gather from what they are experiencing this thing is phenomenally quiet and extremely capable...and deep.
Boost is nice but as I have learned, even though I have it, and others have found not really needed since they are being pleasantly shocked on the depth they are getting on pretty deep targets on DE...in low sense settings.

Like most newbies a few are in the beginning of the learning curve and are just learning to get a handle on all this power and the huge amount of settings possible.
Even going from great mid range units to this one that sheer power and all those settings can be like going from a bicycle with training wheels straight to a Harley...you need a little time to acclimate and understand it all.
Time invested doing this is time well invested and can pay dividends forever if you can.
Once you do the sky is the limit with these top end Fishers, all of them.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rumor has it that they are working on a waterproof F75. Wont that be great! :) I love my F75SE DST w/Boost, etc. etc. Its very fast and very deep and it is great in iron infested areas.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a 6.5" elliptical and a NEL Sharpshooter on my old "chatty" F75 that I sent back to upgrade to an LTD2 version.

I didn't mind the "chat" because I just lowered the sensitivity. It still had depth. My belief is that many users believe "Sensitivity" and "Depth" and "POWER" are interchangeable. There is a best sensitivity setting and it may not be wide open. Just like the gas pedal on your car. Go full throttle and you will learn that it may not be the best in all conditions. They should call it "Gain".

The Boost is kind of nice. I haven't played in Cache mode. If you can get a good deal on an older F-75 I wouldn't shy away from it. But the upgraded version does have added features and does seem to be quieter . . . though certain areas still get "busy".

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FedEx just dropped off a F70 for review 2 days ago...and so far it seems amazing. My T2 Classic has absolutely been replaced when it comes to coin shooting. I'll keep her for relic sites probably as I JUST bought a dust cover a 5x10 DD.

Wish it had the single dial and button setup like the T2 and F75...and the trigger...but I do be in love all the same.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
FedEx just dropped off a F70 for review 2 days ago...and so far it seems amazing. My T2 Classic has absolutely been replaced when it comes to coin shooting. I'll keep her for relic sites probably as I JUST bought a dust cover a 5x10 DD.

Wish it had the single dial and button setup like the T2 and F75...and the trigger...but I do be in love all the same.

Just wait.
I found tiny silver on my first hunt with mine at 6" deep swinging that coil way too fast.

P1040843_zpsqz0kplni.jpg

I found a large 14k gold ring on my fourth hunt surrounded by trash thanks to that 4H tone choice that changes nickels to high tones.
Within a week this find paid for about half of my detector at melt...more than that at retail prices.
Despite this I think I am going to have it cleaned, buffed out and probably keep it for myself.

P1040874%202_zpspn4xrtfv.jpg

Tons of other great stuff early on and I didn't really know what I was doing at the time...didn't really have a handle on it yet.
As I progressed the treasure kept coming, deep, super trashy or sites filled with ridiculous amounts of iron, even extremely high EMI won't stop it...it can always tell you when it senses something good in the ground.
It works well with any coil but add different ones and some situations can become even easier to deal with.
The standard concentric can pick up everything but for jewelry hunting it is supreme.
It sounds different, responds different on targets than DD's...extra sweet is the only way I can describe it.
The big DD can go deeper than you might want to dig, turn the sense down to 30 or so and you will think that big coil turned into a small laser like sniper coil if you wander into heavy trash.
The sniper coil can almost match the big one in depth and you will see how it works in trash and iron if you try one and aftermarket coils are reported to be extremely good on these top end units.
Complete control over all settings in both disc and all metal including the threshold, having two completely different programs you can switch to at the press of a button is fantastically helpful to me as I hunt in one and use the other as a check system...usually disc on one and all metal on program 2.
Like using two detectors in one in your hand on every hunt and it unbelievably efficient and fast to gather data on all targets but especially the deep or severely masked ones.
I can't tell you how many bucket list items I have dug using it this way.
This can be used as many different detectors in one anyway, just changing the settings slightly can be like totally changing detectors.
The 40 number range of iron on the T2 I suppose might be helpful to dedicated relic hunters to help tell the difference between so many tiny bits of small iron but 15 for me is just the perfect amount.
I can still hunt for relics pretty easily, telling the difference between problem nails and other garbage but still digging old rusted pocket knives, a favorite target of mine, is fairly easy.
These were all taken from a site with more iron than I ever encounterd before plus about a million nails of all sizes.
I avoided most of the iron and still targeted and dug these that all also came in at iron.

P1050313_zpspsq6ib9a.jpg

Being a mostly coin and jewelry hunter the less compressed upper end is fantastic for IDing those type of targets and avoiding a lot of trash especially those in the foil, nickel and tab areas.

My jaw started to drop on my first hunt and has never stopped in 3 seasons.
Mine paid for itself within the first few months I had it then it kept paying off in old coins, clad and silver and more gold jewelry.
One of the best kept secrets in this hobby until you learn to use one, then you wonder why others don't know and talk about it more.
Have fun!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread