Fisher F75 in route!

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went round and round with which metal detector I wanted. The Tesoro Compadre being the first metal detector to bring me worthwhile finds, I figured I'd stick with Tesoro and soon upgrade to the Outlaw.

Then I watched lots of videos and read lots of posts and decided, maybe a display screen and multi tones wouldn't be such a bad thing!

I really liked the Nokta fors CoRe and Relic. From the info out there on these two I don't think you could go wrong with them but with so many good detectors made right here in the USA I just couldn't do it.

So after much research I decided on the F75 and an extra 5""DD coil. Just the F75, not LTD or SE. I realize stepping into this one from the Compadre there will be a steep learning curve but I've read the online manual, most every You-tube video I could find and read every post with F75 in the title thread for the first 3 pages of this forum. Now all that's left is too start swinging and learning.

I did my research, I made my choice, I sincerely hope I can bond with this thing now. Lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give it time. If you don't have one already bury a few coins and items in a spot previously checked to be metal-free as a "test garden" in the yard so you can practice and get to know the detector.

Don't be afraid to set the sensitivity down. It's not depth, it's signal gain. The best setting may be 60 in some areas. I think folks tend to run too high and then complain the detector falses.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I got a little bit of a test garden going now.

Quarter at 4"
Quarter at 8"
Dime at 4"
Dime at 7"
Copper penny at 5"
Zinc penny at 5"

I'm hoping to bring my previous hunting sights back to life by gaining a little more depth. After running the little Compadre through I'm now more confident than ever in that goal!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Welcome to the Fisher Fold!
Many have hated these, pre DST anyway, but the ones that learned to understand them no matter what model old or new have no regrets and we are a rabid bunch.
How can you ever regret using a tool that does so much, finds so much and in just about any situation or site condition?

Mine has found me more than I ever thought possible at depths I have never been before, at sites that were so filled with trash and/or iron that others ran screaming into the night.
I stayed and learned and many bucket list items are in my treasure collection now, older rarer coins plus not to mention the silver and gold and clad.
Before I knew what I was doing with mine, even though I had about 1000 hours with an F2 and knew the Fisher language more than well, the power of this one still sent me back to school learning on day one but I still found silver on my first hunt, gold on my fourth in an extremely trashy picnic site and much, much more as I got better and better and gained knowledge and understanding.

Factory settings are great to start with, using that small coil will make it easier, too.
As you get comfortable I can tell you there is a language this one has and then another that is a bit more hidden with different behaviors and indicators that I have learned over time, you can learn as much or as little as you like on your own terms and timetable because these tools seem to be able to find most everything at almost every different setting you can think of.
Learn to tweak them a bit at extremely difficult sites and nothing is beyond your reach.

You mentioned you live in an area that might be pretty mineralized, if so there is something these things are programmed to do that might be very helpful to know about...up-averaging around iron.
That would be in iron infested sites, targets near iron or even in mineralized soil like my red clay we hunt in here which is red because of iron oxide.

For techniques I use hunting in iron filled mineralized soil or heavy iron infested sites and some of my theories about settings here is a lot of information.
Also an explanation about that up-averaging stuff that I learned to use to my advantage.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/techniques/482069-mineralized-ground.html#post5197458

Don't worry about it now, just spend time using yours on normal settings and get used to it...in the future start reading it a bit and learn but there is some really advanced stuff in there so right now it will do you more harm then good and confuse you.
What you need to learn now is the basics, time enough in the future to get into the high end stuff if you even want to go there at all because as I said on most any setting in most normal sites these things don't seem to have much trouble finding treasure.

One more thing, prepare to have a bunch of fun, some shocking experiences and probably have your jaw drop...a lot.

Just learn and have fun doing it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Fisher F75. By reading all the post's you claim to have you already, you have one up on me when I got mine. Glad to see you also bought the 5"DD coil, it get's crazy depth for it's size and it alone will allow you to find more treasures in your older hunting grounds due to it's size and target separation capabilities..

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Digger27 and Loco-Digger. I have read what I claimed I have and the two of you authored much of the information I found:icon_thumleft:

I think the most confusing thing about the F75 so far has been the evolution, updates and different models of the F75! For someone new to all this that hasn't been keeping up for the last few years it really was a lot to wade through.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Fisher family. I will purchase a new Fisher 75 in April or May when it gets warmer in Connecticut. Good hunting and good luck with your new detector.

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, got the F75 (thanks Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, great guy to deal with) and even though the ground is mostly frozen I still had too at least go swing it around in my yard. Tried default and jewlery modes. Settled on 3H tone for now. Done several ground grabs in different areas and was between 56 and 62 on ground balance.

It is a busy machine! I got a bunch of good tone signals seemingly at random with sensitivity at different places between 60 and 99. Most would turn into an low tone on the next sweep or would still be a good tone with a low tone on the ends. My yard is trashy though and switching to the 5" coil made things some better.

It's going to take a while to master this one although I did find 2 pennies a dime and 2 quarters. Not exactly enough to pay for the detector yet haha but finding some clad did help in distinquishing a good signal from the chatter.

Will try Fast mode in the trash as soon as I can feel my fingers again, it's cold out!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure you read the manual so you know how to do a factory reset if needed and also read how to switch through the 7 freqs. If mine is a little chatty I flip through the freqs to get the quietest one. I normally hunt with sensetivity between 65 & 75 in town and higher in the fields. To optimize hunting with the 5"DD I use FA mode.

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I figured out the factory reset and the frequency shift but I didn't learn how to shift frequencies until after I was back in. Got all the functions figured out now I think, just got to get out there and figure out which ones too use and when.

I do remember reading in a couple places to factory reset often. Any particular reason for that?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I reset mine every day I go out. It is easy, and also easy to set to what the day requires.

The reason I do the reset is to start clean. I don't want to find at the end of the day I have accidentally notched out potential good jewelry finds because last time out I was avoiding trash.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't reset all that often but if it ever starts acting wonky I do and that brings it into line.
Some have said resetting at sites with real high EMI can stabilize it pretty well.

The best use for resetting is if you set a notch, even if you accidentally or inadvertently go from 1 to 2 on the notch setting, just reversing the process does not always get rid of the notch.
Every indication on the screen will tell you the notch or notches are gone but don't believe them...reversing out of notches doesn't always work correctly.
Some kind of glitch in the programming.
I suspect many of these were sold in the past because someone set a notch and reversed out of it but it never worked right after so they thought it was broke and they dumped it cheap.
New owners just do a reset and everything comes back into line again.

You do know how notch works on this one, don't you?
It is not quite the same as others so don't mess with that feature unless you know what is happening and if you do always reset after using the notch feature.
I think it is pretty cool even though I rarely use notches.

With disc low every area above you set a notch will be notched out like normal.
With disc set high all areas you notch below that number will be notched back in.
Unlike my F70 you can notch out half ranges like upper or lower range of tabs, nickel, zinc and so on.
Mine gets rid of the entire range no matter where in that range I set the notch but I wish mine worked like yours instead.

Once I was hunting in a trashy park and I was tired and didn't have much patience on that hunt.
Around a picnic pavilion there were many double hole sta-tabs but way more higher number beaver tail tabs I didn't feel like dealing with or even seeing.
I knocked out the entire range which bothered me, the dedicated gold hunter that I am, but if I could have gotten rid of the beaver tail signals and kept the stay-tabs in for at least a shot at gold I would have been happier and less frustrated.

Hunting in busy public areas with lots of zincolns?
With disc set somewhere below the entire zinc range set a notch to get rid of them in the upper half of of zinc but keep the lower half in.
Why?
It's not because you want to dig up lots of can slaw and other junk that comes in at that level but for a much better reason.
I have dug 5 10k gold class rings in my time, one a woman's that was not huge but still pretty big and 4 that were large men's types from over 10 up to one that was huge at 18 grams.
Every one of them came in between 48-52...low zinc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the F-75 struck silver today. It wasn't the deep silver I was hoping to find but a Murcury dime an inch deep, just under the grass roots! In a spot I had some dozer work done. Ol well, I'm still happy with the very unexpected gift.

I have found some deeper clad that I had previously missed so maybe just a matter of time.

I tried switching through the frequencies and it did help but I'm still getting plenty of false signals. I have came to the realization that it's just something I will have too deal with to some extent in the very trashy areas. Just slowing down my swing speed and slowing my search altogether has helped with distinquishing chatter from a solid signal.

Digger27, I "think" I know how the notch works on this thing but I havn't tried it yet.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a F-75 search slow but swing fast.

That is, lots of sweeps close together or from various angles. But it prefers a fast sweep for better definition (not intuitive but true).

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the F-75 struck silver today. It wasn't the deep silver I was hoping to find but a Murcury dime an inch deep, just under the grass roots! In a spot I had some dozer work done. Ol well, I'm still happy with the very unexpected gift.

I have found some deeper clad that I had previously missed so maybe just a matter of time.

I tried switching through the frequencies and it did help but I'm still getting plenty of false signals. I have came to the realization that it's just something I will have too deal with to some extent in the very trashy areas. Just slowing down my swing speed and slowing my search altogether has helped with distinquishing chatter from a solid signal.

Digger27, I "think" I know how the notch works on this thing but I havn't tried it yet.

How do you set yours up? I only disc out the lower half of iron, run sensitivity between 65-75 most places in town and run 4H tones in DE mode. I switch to FA mode when I install my 5"DD coil.

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you set yours up? I only disc out the lower half of iron, run sensitivity between 65-75 most places in town and run 4H tones in DE mode. I switch to FA mode when I install my 5"DD coil.

I'm still not set on anything yet. I went out for a couple today and dug four wheat pennies and a strange piece of women's jewelry that came in at 40 but was so consistent I had too dig.

I was running in 3 tone and discriminating out everything below zinc thinking this would help in trashy areas. Today I ran disc at 15 on 4tone. I think this was working better by getting a more complete story of what was happening under the coil, so to speak.

I used the word falsing. I don't think that was the right word. I suppose high tone chatter would be a better description. Running with lower discrimination has showed me more of what's going on.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thought out and good choice. One of the best all around detectors out there for the money.

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thought out and good choice. One of the best all around detectors out there for the money.

Thanks! I'm set on taking the time to learn the F75. I know I will be better off for it!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you get the hang of it. The other thing I like about the Fisher is that you have a great selection of affordable OEM and third party specialty coils to compliment your stock coil. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread