New f75 and a couple questions - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New f75 and a couple questions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Sovereign GT.
    782 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    I dig all targets with a tight TID above iron. If the ID is jumpy, unless it's a slow day, I don't dig. JE mode is the hottest and FA is the best for target rich sites or trashy sites. I think you give a little depth, but gain fast audio/faster for better target separation. I have not had the need to use bc mode since I have not hunted a bottle cap ladden site.
    Hi Loco; I really like your observations with the F75, particularly the point of obtaining quiet ground with zero discrimination before fast grab balance! Something that I have over looked but makes complete sense to get the most efficient ground balance.

Not sure I understand "Tight TID above iron", please simplify for me as I can be thick as a brick.

As a relic digger I was always using Bp since it was explained that it gives greater depth, however the motion needs to be slowed down and I notice if it isn't I always seem to be rewarded with a false tone particularly as I'm reaching my left swing point and snapping back to the right (not a coil connection issue as this does not happen in De). So I have gone back to De mode and saving Bp for thick ground cover. You are the 3rd digger to mention using Je. How would you compare with your experiences Je with De modes?

Recently I switched from 2f tones to Dp tones per the recommendations of another digger but when I got into an area with a lot of square nails (while using De mode) it was as if my machine was having a difficult time determining which tone to give me and so it was giving me multiple but not repeatable tones. I switched back to 2f and immediately acquired a repeatable tone that was a small button that I would have likely missed if left in Dp tone. Any idea what was going on here?
    Cleaning up the country side, one shotgun shell at a time.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17255 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    The term tight target ID would be one that rings in and shows a Target ID number that only varies 1 number either way (higher or lower), example a reading of 71,72. If it's jumpy i am meaning it rings in at a range that jumps between 66 through 74 example. Since you are a relic guy I assume you dig everything above iron, I am a coin shooter and am more picky as to what I dig unless it is an old site or I an field hunting.

I mainly use BP mode in getting a better ID on a deep target. BP runs hot like the JE mode and can give more false signals. I didn not know you had boost process that is why I mentioned the JE mode. I normally quiet my detector down by switching through the 7 freq's after I ground balance and I run sensitivity between 65 & 75. I have never used DP (delta pitch) so I can't comment on it. When you are in a nail patch I'd switch to the FA process to get better target separation.
    Dug likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1357 View Post
    I own a lot of detectors. All of my Teknetics and Fishers are very close in depth estimation except the F75. It was horribly wrong when I got it new, and it's still horribly wrong after this last upgrade.

I think it's an F75 software issue. I mentioned it before but received some jibberish back that there was no way to fix it.

Mine runs 3-5 inches off. Targets are always shallower than display says.
    See, that's the strange part. I'll pinpoint what seems to be a smaller target at around 5 inches. Cut a plug about that deep, and then I'm digging to china. Obviously this leads me to believe it's a bigger object than I thought. The depth reading is fooling me though. Other than that, I'm liking this thing. It's like anything else I'm guessing. Takes time. Got my headphones working. Right side wasn't working before. Now I can hear the signals so much crisper. I was in a very trashy site this morning and was able to feel out a penny in a hole with a few 22 shells, and a dime in between trash. Getting better. I'm going to do a test bed I think to get an idea on a deeper coin hit.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    May 2011
    3004 times
    In a supposedly hunted out park near the edge that had more EMI problems than any site I had ever been to before or since I rolled over this coin spill that was reported to be 7-8" in depth but at least one or two of these coins were closer to 9-10".
    4H, sense on 80, -1 on the thresh using the F75 DD coil I got a pretty jumpy signal because of that EMI, ( no DST on mine), but most of the numbers stayed high and I kept hearing a repeatable sweet high tone as I maneuvered the coil around the area.
    The deep depth and good tone made me curious so I opened a hole and found these coins spread around about a one foot square area.
    A 1915 wheat and three injuns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user10659_pic62557_1416343867.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1416032

In that same area on another hunts still with that huge amount of EMI and that coil I also found a very masked merc in the entrance to this 100 year old park which was filled with a huge amount of trash.
    I did it by turning down the sense to about 30 as I mentioned and this thing sang out loud and clear and repeated at about 5-6" like it had a red flag over it that said dig me printed on it.

On another hunt in that same problem area I found a gold ring sitting nice and pretty between a deep piece of iron on the right an inch or two away and a smaller rusty iron nail on the left also about an inch or two away.
    I got a mixed jumpy signal from high to low because my coil was over all three targets at the same time but as I swept the coil over the area from left to right and back I realized after pinpointing there were three targets here but the middle one gave me a nice tone and repeated some 51-53 numbers, they were fleeting but kept repeating so I decided to dig it despite thinking it was going to be trash.
    Surprised the heck out of me when a gold ring popped up and I was lucky I hit it from this angle where the superior target separation Fishers possess alerted me.
    If I hit these three from a 90 degree angle I think I would have gotten a whole different signal so never discount luck in this business.

Name:	P1020054 (1).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	1416036

This is important so take note...this ring out of the ground dropped a full 10 numbers to a solid 41 and this is because Fishers are programmed to do something that you can use to your advantage if you understand what us happening.
    They up-average all targets around iron in infested sites or on deeper targets if you hunt in mineralized ferris oxide infested soil like the red clay I have in my neck of the woods.
    I mean they can soar on gold, silver, tabs, coins...everything.
    Remember this if you hunt in iron.

In a site so infested with iron in good Kansas soil where many tried but nobody made any headway, including me, and most gave up and looked for easier sites to hunt I stayed and hunted it many times looking for any way to unlock this iron puzzle and get to hidden and masked targets we all suspected were there but couldn't find.
    It took hours of experimenting but finally I hit on some settings and noticed behavior that helped me figure it out and that up-averaging effect was a big reason I was able to find all this.

Here is just some of the bigger stuff I had to deal with, I don't have a picture of the million nails, nuts bolts wire and everything else that were here.

Name:	iron2 (1).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	1416037

Here are the better targets ultimately came out of this very difficult site.

Name:	farm stuff (2).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	1416038

In my current SE. Alabama devil dirt I have been able to find several great targets from some scoured sites long ago given up on and declared hunted out but I found out they weren't...this up averaging thing helped me find these things that were severely masked from the 4-8" depth level.
    They were here the whole time but it took my up-averaging Fisher to find them especially the deeper ones.
    Nickels here, you know the 31-33 VDI signal will actually come in at the 50's-60's zinc area if at about 4"...I have dug buffs, older Washintons and a V nickel here from the 6-8" depth area and every one came in from the high 80's to low 90's.
    Like I said around iron signals can and will soar high.

The absolute deepest target I ever dug was a thumb ringer off of an old bicycle bell.
    In disc with maxed out sense, (and thresh which I can do on the F70 but you don't have that option), I got a solid signal in 1F from several directions and good tones plus pretty accurate VDI numbers which is unusual for something this deep...an actual measured 15".

Name:	P1040955 (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	1416039

At the very fringe of the detecting field you might hear a tone but the screen will usually go blank.
    This is normal on super deep targets and when I got the good tone AND the screen info and a 14-15" depth reading I had to dig it just to see if anything was actually down there...and there was.
    Not a great target but still shocked me that it could see it and tell me it was there.
    Last edited by digger27; Feb 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Currently hunting with an F70, and a Mojave.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Digger, those are some nice finds for sure! So have you ever had a depth reading of 4-6 inches, and it ended up being more like 10"+? Sometimes I wonder if it is picking up really large targets that are very deep.

us
    May 2011
    3004 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John4John4cam View Post
    Digger, those are some nice finds for sure! So have you ever had a depth reading of 4-6 inches, and it ended up being more like 10"+? Sometimes I wonder if it is picking up really large targets that are very deep.
    Sure....
    Large items like cans or big iron regularly show up as 3" or so but can be way deeper, small targets can show several inches deep but are actually shallow.
    This is just physics and the same on all detectors.
    Use your pinpointing feature to paint the area to get a good idea on size of targets, coins and rings show small but many things like smashed cans will show way bigger.
    Swing high over loud suspected bigger targets, if you can get the coil extra high it ain't something you usually want to dig unless you are a relic hunter.
    There are exceptions...In a park I hunt I avoided digging a for sure big flat can signal buried many times.
    A friend came to hunt this park, got the same signal and dug it and that turned out to be an old inscribed silver cigarette case from the early 1900's.
    Lesson learned.

If you have good soil the F75 just lives at a way deeper level than that F2...way deeper.
    You just have to get used to that because this thing can easily pick up targets up to that 10"+ area fairly easily.
    Definitely several inches further than the F2, anyway.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by digger27 View Post
    Sure....
    Large items like cans or big iron regularly show up as 3" or so but can be way deeper, small targets can show several inches deep but are actually shallow.
    This is just physics and the same on all detectors.
    Use your pinpointing feature to paint the area to get a good idea on size of targets, coins and rings show small but many things like smashed cans will show way bigger.
    Swing high over loud suspected bigger targets, if you can get the coil extra high it ain't something you usually want to dig unless you are a relic hunter.
    There are exceptions...In a park I hunt I avoided digging a for sure big flat can signal buried many times.
    A friend came to hunt this park, got the same signal and dug it and that turned out to be an old inscribed silver cigarette case from the early 1900's.
    Lesson learned.

If you have good soil the F75 just lives at a way deeper level than that F2...way deeper.
    You just have to get used to that because this thing can easily pick up targets up to that 10"+ area fairly easily.
    Definitely several inches further than the F2, anyway.
    I think I am going to do a test bed to get a feel for tones, and the pinpointing a smaller target. Might not be a bad idea to smash a can and bury that a couple inches too. Maybe even bury a couple coins with nails to see what happens. Can say this thing sets up quick and runs smooth. Very stable. If I get under power lines or anything a little less sens. And it's ready to roll.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    May 2013
    Arkansas
    Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
    405 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by John4John4cam View Post
    See, that's the strange part. I'll pinpoint what seems to be a smaller target at around 5 inches. Cut a plug about that deep, and then I'm digging to china. Obviously this leads me to believe it's a bigger object than I thought. The depth reading is fooling me though. Other than that, I'm liking this thing. It's like anything else I'm guessing. Takes time. Got my headphones working. Right side wasn't working before. Now I can hear the signals so much crisper. I was in a very trashy site this morning and was able to feel out a penny in a hole with a few 22 shells, and a dime in between trash. Getting better. I'm going to do a test bed I think to get an idea on a deeper coin hit.
    Detectors' depth is calibrated for coin sized objects. What did you find at the bottom or you gave up?

I run my F75 and F70 down in the 60s for sensitivity a lot. Try it on a test, I don't think you'll give up that much depth. Get some enjoyment, confidence under your belt before you get discouraged.

Get the smaller coil if you're hitting a lot of crap.

The other hard fact I learned, the F70/F75 is a hot detector. Leave your metal and cellphones in you vehicle if you can. And watch where you carry your pinpointer. Want to get a laugh, take your Garrett pinpointer and turn it off. Hold it above your detector's coil and see how far it will pick it up. Your F75 will pick up your pinpointer 4-6 feet away.....

us
    May 2011
    3004 times
    Ok, to preface this information I have to tell you I am pretty weird when it comes to some of my theories and methods I have used with great success in both cleaner, open sites but especially in extreme trash and iron...eventually I discovered it works in heavy mineralization too.
    Some can't believe some of the settings I use and have posted about but the results most can't argue with.
    I love to experiment and tweak and always attempt to understand my tools at the deepest level possible and even beyond plus hunting in many sites that I can say are usually much more than just challenging I had to adapt and find new ways of hunting that might not seem logical or the norm but some produced so much positive results so consistently in many different sites it just can't be a fluke.
    This is advanced stuff for hunting in heavy iron or mineralized soil and it works in trash also but it took several hours to fully develop and understand and some practice and experience to fully utilize...that pic with all the good stuff that came from that site with all that iron were all found using this which I call the blast through method.
    All metal, sense and thresh maxed out, using that up-averaging effect and learning new behavior and clues to unmask very hidden non ferrous targets in an ocean of iron.
    Don't worry about it now and I mean that, it is not necessary for your level of understanding or needs now and you are just at the the beginning of your learning curve getting comfortable with your fine tool so just keep tracking the way you are going but bookmark and read it someday and if you ever find yourself in an old home site with a million nails or other similar conditions if you spend some time learning this method it could be very, very productive.
    I have other methods, more normal ways using low disc, high disc and others that work well also but this method still seems to work the best for me.
    I consider the work I put into discovering, learning and getting good at this one of the most important things I have ever added to my skill set.
    It should pay me dividends for as long as I am able to get out and swing a detector.

Mineralized ground
    Last edited by digger27; Feb 19, 2017 at 08:16 AM.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks all you guys who are giving all the awesome info. This is why forums are amazing. Look what I found today. The silvers were from a 1930's house I could hit with a rock from my house. Along with the musket ball, skeleton key, and 1910 boy scout token!

Then another couple blocks overy an 1800's building that got torn down produced the 1869 indian, and 1838 large cent!!!! I'm all giddy!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170219_163607.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	1416787  
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Got a bunch of clad too. 2f was working well for me.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Jan 2017
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    WOW! That's awesome!

Maybe you should be giving advice instead of receiving it
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM70 View Post
    WOW! That's awesome!

Maybe you should be giving advice instead of receiving it
    LOL! No way. That mention of luck before was in power today. Haha.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    4210 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1357 View Post
    Detectors' depth is calibrated for coin sized objects. What did you find at the bottom or you gave up?

I run my F75 and F70 down in the 60s for sensitivity a lot. Try it on a test, I don't think you'll give up that much depth. Get some enjoyment, confidence under your belt before you get discouraged.

Get the smaller coil if you're hitting a lot of crap.

The other hard fact I learned, the F70/F75 is a hot detector. Leave your metal and cellphones in you vehicle if you can. And watch where you carry your pinpointer. Want to get a laugh, take your Garrett pinpointer and turn it off. Hold it above your detector's coil and see how far it will pick it up. Your F75 will pick up your pinpointer 4-6 feet away.....
    Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, a few I about threw my digger over the hill. Just felt like I was digging for nothing. Today I went down about 10 inches, and hit what looked like a big piece of coil stock aluminum. The indian was deep. Under some tree roots and close to a tree. Most things I dug had iron in the hole with it. The large cent rang a steady 82, I pinpointed and it read 6 inches deep. I thought for sure it would be my first silver quarter. Got a pleasant surprise. I gotta go back. Had a nice hit and ran into more roots. Might go over with my mini sledge, and chisel. Got a feeling that's another indian. I'm getting better at knowing a small target vs a larger one.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links