Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New f75 and a couple questions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2,394
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting

    New f75 and a couple questions

    Hello, I'm just getting back into the hobby after 20 years away. I bought myself an f2 on the cheap to see if i would stick with it this time. I'm officially hooked once again.

    I just received my f75 and have a couple questions. I still haven't even been able to put the batteries in the machine yet. Been too busy. Anyways, The manual seems kinda all over the place as far as setting up the machine. Is there a standard format for what you set, and when? For instance, do you always ground balance last? Set discrimnation 1st? Does it even matter?

    Now, for the display screen. If you run in all metals, is everything on the left side of screen NOT being used?

    I really need to get out and just use it and start the learning curve. Thanks for any info.

    *EDIT* I almost forgot. would you guys go back over the previously hunted with f2 sites with the f75 since the depth is probably double?
    Last edited by HighVDI; Feb 17, 2017 at 06:35 AM.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  2. #2
    Dug
    Dug is offline
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Sovereign GT.
    811
    690 times
    Relic Hunting
    Have you gone to You Tube and looked for F75 videos? A lot of them out there that will answer your questions. The manual may seem all over since you are new to it, but once you are used to the machine you will realize how well the manual was put together.

    You have not mentioned what type of detecting you will be doing. The type set up you will need depends on the type of detecting you will be doing.

    Example I'm in SC with good soil and relic dig in the countryside. I use about about 85 sensitivity, 13 Discrimination, 1 notch, 2F tones, DE for process unless I am in brush then I switch to Bp but have to slow my swings. I use the fast grab to ground balance which is pushing forward on the trigger and pumping the coil to the ground a few times.

    It does not matter what order you make changes to on the menu. I use the left side because I discriminate hunt.

    With the exception of the Frequency shifting (which you will unlikely use that much) your machine will remember your last settings after you turn it off. If you have completely bungled the settings, Reset is your friend. Follow the procedures and the machine will return to a factory preset. In my older manual it is on page 10.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    Cleaning up the country side, one shotgun shell at a time.

  3. #3
    us
    May 2011
    1,343
    2758 times
    Lol!

    This is great, I also had an F2 and pushed it to its limit and loved it, found more than I or many other people thought possible.
    Then I got an F70 and it could do things, more things in not only normal sites but some of the most difficult imaginable...easily.
    Not due to only the extra power, which you need to experience, understand and learn to control, but all those settings possible.
    Run the numbers, there are so many combinations but on these upper end Fishers almost every way you want to set it works...it is a very forgiving and capable tool.
    The engineers knew what they were doing when they set up the factory start up defaults, many use them and find much and if you tweak them a bit for difficult conditions, on your timetable, your jaw will drop...further.


    Most GB in all metal then switch to disc if they hunt that way but I do it in both and it seems to work fine.
    Using all metal the tone, the modulation regarding depth, the numbers on the screen and how they act are all that matters to me, some use the confidence meter, I rarely look at it.
    In disc this thing is deep, some use nothing else and some use both disc and all metal.
    Going from the F2 to this is like going from a Corolla to a Lamborghini, go slow and learn at your own pace.
    I started in 4 tones when I got my F70 because it was so like my F2 and that was comfortable for me, 4H actually which helped me find more nickels and ever before and nickel area gold on my fourth hunt...since then I have tried many more and settled into a few favorites many not like when I was using the F2 at all.
    It just takes time, GB, use default start up settings and go from there.
    Ask questions at any time.

    Going over old sites...yea, I would do that.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

    Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

  4. #4

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2,394
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Have you gone to You Tube and looked for F75 videos? A lot of them out there that will answer your questions. The manual may seem all over since you are new to it, but once you are used to the machine you will realize how well the manual was put together.

    You have not mentioned what type of detecting you will be doing. The type set up you will need depends on the type of detecting you will be doing.

    Example I'm in SC with good soil and relic dig in the countryside. I use about about 85 sensitivity, 13 Discrimination, 1 notch, 2F tones, DE for process unless I am in brush then I switch to Bp but have to slow my swings. I use the fast grab to ground balance which is pushing forward on the trigger and pumping the coil to the ground a few times.

    It does not matter what order you make changes to on the menu. I use the left side because I discriminate hunt.

    With the exception of the Frequency shifting (which you will unlikely use that much) your machine will remember your last settings after you turn it off. If you have completely bungled the settings, Reset is your friend. Follow the procedures and the machine will return to a factory preset. In my older manual it is on page 10.
    I fished (no pun intended) around on you tube a little. I know they made changes to the f75, so i didn't want to watch the older vids and get even more confused since all of the upgrades, changes, and different models are confusing enough. I am primarily going to search old farm fields, old homesteads, parks, yards, and the woods.....in no particular order, and I love finding old coins! Relics are always cool too.

    Quote Originally Posted by digger27 View Post
    Lol!

    This is great, I also had an F2 and pushed it to its limit and loved it, found more than I or many other people thought possible.
    Then I got an F70 and it could do things, more things in not only normal sites but some of the most difficult imaginable...easily.
    Not due to only the extra power, which you need to experience, understand and learn to control, but all those settings possible.
    Run the numbers, there are so many combinations but on these upper end Fishers almost every way you want to set it works...it is a very forgiving and capable tool.
    The engineers knew what they were doing when they set up the factory start up defaults, many use them and find much and if you tweak them a bit for difficult conditions, on your timetable, your jaw will drop...further.


    Most GB in all metal then switch to disc if they hunt that way but I do it in both and it seems to work fine.
    Using all metal the tone, the modulation regarding depth, the numbers on the screen and how they act are all that matters to me, some use the confidence meter, I rarely look at it.
    In disc this thing is deep, some use nothing else and some use both disc and all metal.
    Going from the F2 to this is like going from a Corolla to a Lamborghini, go slow and learn at your own pace.
    I started in 4 tones when I got my F70 because it was so like my F2 and that was comfortable for me, 4H actually which helped me find more nickels and ever before and nickel area gold on my fourth hunt...since then I have tried many more and settled into a few favorites many not like when I was using the F2 at all.
    It just takes time, GB, use default start up settings and go from there.
    Ask questions at any time.

    Going over old sites...yea, I would do that.
    Hahaha. It really is crazy how much I have found with a $200.00 machine in a short time. Lol at the Corolla vs Lambo! I guess i'd be lying if I said I wasn't intimidated by all the features. Last time I did this was the mid 90's while a teen and not very educated on the tech part of it all. Things have come a long ways too. I just started "listening" vs screen readings and also digging solid two way signals vs only strong 4 way signals, and wow, I was for sure leaving good stuff behind!

    Thanks for the info. I need all I can get.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  5. #5
    us
    May 2011
    1,343
    2758 times
    The features are there to use as you will...or not.
    Don't be intimidated because it wants to be your friend...really.
    Some stay with default, some tweak a bit and just adjust the basics or play with a few tones, some like me explore every possibility and setting combination I can think of but I don't think I will live long enough to try everything possible and I don't even have as many as you do.
    Like I said most everything works from default to insane...you just swing and dig.
    In most normal situations most will do fine, the so many options really come into play in really difficult sites but you have plenty of time to explore those.
    Eventually you will find your own favorites.

    A couple of tips...
    The sense, (gain), is not like some other brands in that most everything is way higher than you might think.
    Some keep the gain high, some turn it down halfway some go lower and you will be surprised at the depth at all levels...even at 10 and under.
    Many use sense at 40-30 or below and still get deep and in those parks in heavy trash sites if you are using the big DD coil and no sniper option turn the sense down to the 30-40 area and watch how it seems to turn that big coil into something else...it will seem like a laser-like scalpel.

    Don't mess with the notches unless you fully understand how that feature works and if you do always do a reset after, reversing out of notches does not always seem to work but a reset always clears them out.

    Try the different tones, there might be one you like more than the others.

    It is just a tool...you can use it as a basic one or get as heavy into the settings and programs as you want when you want or if you want and still find great stuff all along the way.
    Last edited by digger27; Feb 17, 2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

    Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

  6. #6

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2,394
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by digger27 View Post
    The features are there to use as you will...or not.
    Don't be intimidated because it wants to be your friend...really.
    Some stay with default, some tweak a bit and just adjust the basics or play with a few tones, some like me explore every possibility and setting combination I can think of but I don't think I will live long enough to try everything possible and I don't even have as many as you do.
    Like I said most everything works from default to insane...you just swing and dig.
    In most normal situations most will do fine, the so many options really come into play in really difficult sites but you have plenty of time to explore those.
    Eventually you will find your own favorites.

    A couple of tips...
    The sense, (gain), is not like some other brands in that most everything is way higher than you might think.
    Some keep the gain high, some turn it down halfway some go lower and you will be surprised at the depth at all levels...even at 10 and under.
    Many use sense at 40-30 or below and still get deep and in those parks in heavy trash sites if you are using the big DD coil and no sniper option turn the sense down to the 30-40 area and watch how it seems to turn that big coil into something else...it will seem like a laser-like scalpel.

    Don't mess with the notches unless you fully understand how that feature works and if you do always do a reset after, reversing out of notches does not always seem to work but a reset always clears them out.

    Try the different tones, there might be one you like more than the others.

    It is just a tool...you can use it as a basic one or get as heavy into the settings and programs as you want when you want or if you want and still find great stuff all along the way.
    Thanks for all the info! I really do appreciate it. I get what you mean. In other words, I can go with DE mode, and run lower sensitivity, and still find more, and deeper targets than my entry level machine.....which sounds amazing. My first test will be this afternoon. I will get back this evening and update.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    you've been given plenty of good advice, I also recommend that you look through the Fisher Research Labs Forum and read older posts about the F75. How did you run your F2? Did you discriminate out much and did you notch some target ranges back in?

    I recommend you start out is DE mode and start by discriminating out the iron 1-15. Run sensitivity between 65 & 75, select 3H or 4H tones so nickels will ring in as a high tone. Did you also get the 5"DD coil? if yes, use this on the trashier sites you've already hunted with the F2.

    Make sure you have no discrimination on when you get to a site, sweep the coil until you find a quiet spot and then do your ground grab. After you are ground balanced then you can change your discrimination from zero to whatever you want.
    Last edited by Loco-Digger; Feb 17, 2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  8. #8
    us
    Sir

    Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    6,172
    2927 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks to Loco-Digger advice, I will purchase a new Fisher F-75 in April or May when it gets warmer in Connecticut. Good hunting and good luck.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  9. #9

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2,394
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    Loco, thank you as well. This is all the kind of info I was looking for! At first, using the f2 I was disc. happy, not realizing that totally hid targets, and robbed depth. I found 6 wheats, and a rosie dime my last hunt with it on no disc. And they were fairly deep targets. Sounds crazy I'm sure, but I don't want to set the f2 down after learning it's ways. This I'm sure will be a very temporary thing, haha. I was going to do exactly what you said set up wise, but with the 2 tones. You say this hides nickels in a way? I got the 15 inch boat anchor in the kit I got. To be honest, what I paid for the detector wouldn't have paid for all the other extras I got. After reading here, I'm going to get that 5" inch coil. Sounds like a total winner on trashy areas.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by John4John4cam View Post
    Loco, thank you as well. This is all the kind of info I was looking for! At first, using the f2 I was disc. happy, not realizing that totally hid targets, and robbed depth. I found 6 wheats, and a rosie dime my last hunt with it on no disc. And they were fairly deep targets. Sounds crazy I'm sure, but I don't want to set the f2 down after learning it's ways. This I'm sure will be a very temporary thing, haha. I was going to do exactly what you said set up wise, but with the 2 tones. You say this hides nickels in a way? I got the 15 inch boat anchor in the kit I got. To be honest, what I paid for the detector wouldn't have paid for all the other extras I got. After reading here, I'm going to get that 5" inch coil. Sounds like a total winner on trashy areas.
    2 tone will not hide nickels, but I am used to 3 tones at least since I used to swing the F4. Iron low tones, foil thru zinc will be mid tones and copper/silver will ring in as a high tone. I only use 2 tone when I hunt fields. 3H & 4H will just allow the likely nickel target to ring in as a high tone. Either way you go the nickels will still ring in. What coil did your F2 have? I fell in love with the DD when I was using the F4, I am not a big concentric fan. I have a 15" Nel coil and if I plan on swinging it for the day, I used a makeshift harness, they add weight to the detector. You will feel the difference in weight going from the F2 to the F75 with the stock coil mounted.
    Charlie P. (NY) likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  11. #11

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2,394
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    2 tone will not hide nickels, but I am used to 3 tones at least since I used to swing the F4. Iron low tones, foil thru zinc will be mid tones and copper/silver will ring in as a high tone. I only use 2 tone when I hunt fields. 3H & 4H will just allow the likely nickel target to ring in as a high tone. Either way you go the nickels will still ring in. What coil did your F2 have? I fell in love with the DD when I was using the F4, I am not a big concentric fan. I have a 15" Nel coil and if I plan on swinging it for the day, I used a makeshift harness, they add weight to the detector. You will feel the difference in weight going from the F2 to the F75 with the stock coil mounted.

    Yes indeed, first thing I noticed tonight was how light the f2 is. To be honest, I am amazed at that cheap machine. It will work perfect for my little boy, or the wife to use to come out and hunt. It still has the stock 8" on it. Well, I spent a couple hours with it this evening. went to the spot i was finding all the wheats the other day. Must have missed a couple clad dimes in there (I'm sure others too). So, i like the stout feel of the f75, and it swings smooth. Set up was super simple when using the DE mode, and I listened to your procedure for ground balancing. It was quiet as a mouse! I did notice this machine is BUSY. Def. picked up more deep targets than the f2. I kept getting fooled by the depth readings.....with bigger targets. Some even pinpointed like they were smaller objects. To be honest, I was hunting a neighbors business and I quit digging around 10 inches. Didn't want to have a mound of dirt there and someone come out. Had a bunch of targets like that. Then moved to the woods close to my house where there is an abandoned early 1900's home that burned down, and foundation is left. I was able to find a 37 wheat from that site. wasn't there too long before it got dark on me. Found a nice deer antler shed while in the woods, lol. I sifted that home site a couple times with the f2, and only found one other wheat there. 5 minutes there with the f75 I found the 37. All and all it seems like a very stable machine. The headphones that came with it are complete junk.

    On the deep targets that pinpoint say 6-8 inches and you're digging down a foot. Must be something big?

    How deep have you guys seen coins recovered?

    How deep can you get a clean, crisp signal on a coin?

    I was digging a lot of iffy signals just to see what they might be and try to begin learning the machine. I've never used the dd coil before, so thats a learning curve too. Really, all and all each spot wasn't really the ideal spot to learn on....but they were quick and easy to access today. I have a neighbor with a big 1920's home I got permission to hunt. I will go there tomorrow, and see what the f75 can do there. Any more info anyone has I am all ears!

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    The deepest coin I dug was a large silver at 10-10.5 inches, the deepest target dug was an old piece of lead pipe while field hunting at 14 inches. The target IDs should be the same or very similar to those on the F2. My F75LTD2's depth meter is always off by 2 inches. If it shows 5 inches I find the target at 3. I dig many deep iffy signals myself and have been rewarded a few times. I dig all targets with a tight TID above iron. If the ID is jumpy, unless it's a slow day, I don't dig. JE mode is the hottest and FA is the best for target rich sites or trashy sites. I think you give a little depth, but gain fast audio/faster for better target separation. I have not had the need to use bc mode since I have not hunted a bottle cap ladden site.
    Dug likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  13. #13
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10,760
    11309 times
    Metal Detecting
    Deepest coin I have dug was 10". A friggin 1986 Roosevelt dime.
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

  14. #14
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10,760
    11309 times
    Metal Detecting
    Note that detectors are notoriously bad at depth readings. Those are based (I believe) on a silver quarter. So dimes, cents, nickles that have different conductivity are near guesses.

    I find it better to lift the coil while swinging. If you have the coil 2" over the ground and it reads 6" deep, what does it read with the coil 6" over the ground? If it is still reading it may be shallower and larger. If it stops reading it may be deeper and/or smaller.

    "X" ing the target also helps. Does it read consistently aide-to-side and front-to-back? More clues.

    Note that a detector that runs at 7KHz to 14KHz has a 26 to 13 mile long wavelength. And we're asking it to be accurate to inches.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Feb 17, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

  15. #15
    us
    May 2013
    Arkansas
    Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
    924
    388 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I own a lot of detectors. All of my Teknetics and Fishers are very close in depth estimation except the F75. It was horribly wrong when I got it new, and it's still horribly wrong after this last upgrade.

    I think it's an F75 software issue. I mentioned it before but received some jibberish back that there was no way to fix it.

    Mine runs 3-5 inches off. Targets are always shallower than display says.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov 18, 2016, 07:08 AM
  2. I got a couple of questions about a couple of rocks
    By coosakid in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov 17, 2016, 11:17 AM
  3. A Couple Bottles,A Couple Questions
    By deershed in forum Bottles & Glass
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov 19, 2013, 10:06 PM
  4. Couple of questions...
    By Fenway in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Feb 23, 2013, 08:07 PM
  5. Couple of Questions
    By tnfishdaddy in forum Paper Currencies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 02, 2009, 12:59 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0