Error In Fisher F22 Manual?

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received my new F22 the other day from Kellyco and I am very pleased. (It arrived in only 2 days!) I have been over the manual several times and, under the sub-section Battery Life in the Battery section it says: "Backlight increases power consumption and decreases battery life, with significant power drain at maximum brightness." So, they are suggesting to use a lower backlight setting to increase or extend the battery life BUT, they do not tell you how to do this.

In my research online I see that the Fisher F44 has an adjustable backlight setting with an icon right on the display but, this manual I received with my F22 is not for both models, only the F22 so...am I correct that there is indeed an error here? Or, am I just an idiot who can not figure out how to lower my backlight settings?

This is a wonderful machine and I am very happy with both Fisher and Kellyco, I just want to know if I am an idiot or not.

Bill

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say the manual is a print error, and probably worth tons, being an error and all. Sell it on ebay!:D

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say the manual is a print error, and probably worth tons, being an error and all. Sell it on ebay!:D

Maybe I could get a higher price at auction? Ha ha.

Bill

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received my new F22 the other day from Kellyco and I am very pleased. (It arrived in only 2 days!) I have been over the manual several times and, under the sub-section Battery Life in the Battery section it says: "Backlight increases power consumption and decreases battery life, with significant power drain at maximum brightness." So, they are suggesting to use a lower backlight setting to increase or extend the battery life BUT, they do not tell you how to do this.

In my research online I see that the Fisher F44 has an adjustable backlight setting with an icon right on the display but, this manual I received with my F22 is not for both models, only the F22 so...am I correct that there is indeed an error here? Or, am I just an idiot who can not figure out how to lower my backlight settings?

This is a wonderful machine and I am very happy with both Fisher and Kellyco, I just want to know if I am an idiot or not.

Bill

I was browsing the Fisher site earlier so had the window open.
That line is in the PDF file as well so it wont fetch much on Fle Bay.... sorry.
It doesn't look like you can go to a brightness section to adjust so I would say don't worry too much about it. If you can turn it off during the day, go for it as it will help conserve your batteries.
Enjoy and good luck!

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was browsing the Fisher site earlier so had the window open.
That line is in the PDF file as well so it wont fetch much on Fle Bay.... sorry.
It doesn't look like you can go to a brightness section to adjust so I would say don't worry too much about it. If you can turn it off during the day, go for it as it will help conserve your batteries.
Enjoy and good luck!

There is NO WAY to control it at all, which is my point about the manual being wrong. You can not turn it down, nor up. It is not in the software. I would think the good folks at Fisher would know this. It is not that big of a deal. If I want to control it I can just solder in a variable resitor in line and adjust in manually. I was simply wondering why this was in the manual when it should not be?

Bill

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't worry about adjusting the backlight much.
It appears you don't have a backlight feature on the F22.
They copied the F44 manual and took out what the F22 lacks but it looks like they forgot to delete one feature.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/metal-detecting/fisher-f22-metal-detector-review/#tab-con-8

Thank you Digger, I assumed it was something like that. The fact that it runs on 2 AA batteries is just great, and I wanted to make sure I was not draining them more than was required.

Thank you for your reply and the link.

Bill

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if Fisher knows about this error?

Bill

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I wonder if Fisher knows about this error?

Bill

If they did they won't fix it till they run out of their current supply of printed manuals.
I doubt they will have somebody fix them by hand and white out or cover the error in each manual either.
Both will take money that they probably won't want to spend so people will need to live with it.

There is an easy way to alert people.
You can make up a stamp to say anything nowadays...images, several lines of text you name it.
If they made a few and put a few lines in telling people about the error and the F22 actually does not have a backlight so disregard they could have one for every person that packs these units up in the factory and just tell them to stamp the front of each manual before it is inserted into the box or the clear bag that most paperwork comes in nowadays.
This would cost very little, it would take an extra 2 seconds to stamp each one and people will not get confused anymore from here on...except for the ones that buy the many that are already packed.

Let's see if someone over there thinks of this but I bet you are not the only one that will bring this up in the future.

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger, I agree with what you have posted. One thing that puzzles me a bit is that this detector has been out since, I believe, 2016? Has no one mentioned this to them since then? Yes, I get that if you print 1 million manuals you do not toss them out and make new ones. You correct the error for the next printing. My simple guess is that Fisher does not know about this at all. Maybe no one ever bothered to ask/tell them about this? I have no idea. I really love my F22 though so I am one happy camper. No worries.

Bill

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The operators manual for my Whites MX Sport says nothing about ground balancing which is very important.Seems like most electronic devices today (computers,smart phones,printers) come with minimal printed instructions and kinda throws us older generation an unnecessary problem.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will pass it up the chain of command for correction. As you say...probably not a priority but assume it will be fixed on future prints. :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will pass it up the chain of command for correction. As you say...probably not a priority but assume it will be fixed on future prints. :occasion14:

Excellent! I really enjoy your detector reviews and learn a lot from them.

Bill

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The operators manual for my Whites MX Sport says nothing about ground balancing which is very important.Seems like most electronic devices today (computers,smart phones,printers) come with minimal printed instructions and kinda throws us older generation an unnecessary problem.

The Compadre comes with one sheet of instructions which is a joke...barely mentions the basics.There is a million more things owners know about that language, tone, manipulating the coil to figure out targets but we all had to learn them by trial and error or from others on these forums.

My F70 has much more info in their manual because there are so many more features and settings but again just the basics...so much more I discovered while using it.

They can't put everything in this paperwork but making glaring errors and confusing customers is quite another thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread