f44 small trashy coil?

dca2

Jan 5, 2015
NW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
EQX600; Fisher f44, f2; Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at getting a Nel sharp, snake, or sharpshooter. I have a Fisher f44 with the stock 11" concentric coil. I also have a f2 with the fisher 4" coil but my son uses that machine and I want a sniper for the f44. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have been hunting VERY trashy curb strips where stately Victorian mansions once stood ~1870-1930. The strips are full of screw caps and broken pint bottles --run down part of town, all but 5 homes gone, shotgun houses for 50 years, now empty lots. I have found a 1916 barber in curb strip but it was tough. I'm pretty sure there's more.

Elsewhere, I am mainly coin shooting yards and parks and am about to get some swing time on a cw campsite.

Thanks,
Dave

Digger27 told me of the 4" fisher coil for $49 so:

Do the small NEL coils warrant twice the money and if so which one looks better for my hunting? I understand they are DD but I have only used concentrics.

Thanks for any and all help,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F-75 and the stock 11" coil, a NEL Sharpshooter and a Fisher 6.5" oval/concentric.

I leave the NEL on most of the time. The little concentric is VERY nice in trashy parks and picnic grounds for shooting in among the junk. But the NEL is my overall favorite. It does well in trash provided you "X" around a bit if you get a semi-solid hit. The Sharpshooter seems every bit as deep as my ''" coil but is substantially smaller.

Here it is next to a 10" DD.

DSCN1554_zpst87asojq.jpg

bghok

Greenie
Aug 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a 7" that comes on the F11 for a small coil to use with my F44, seems to work good and not very expensive either.

OP
OP
dca2

dca2

Jan 5, 2015
NW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
EQX600; Fisher f44, f2; Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn't pass up the price for the new Fisher 4" concentric. We shall see how it goes..................

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't pass up the price for the new Fisher 4" concentric. We shall see how it goes..................

How is that 4" concentric working on your F44?

I wonder if anyone has tried it on an F5?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
How is that 4" concentric working on your F44?

I wonder if anyone has tried it on an F5?

It will fit on one.
I have only used factory sniper coils so I can't speak about how much better any after market brands would be compared to stock but I know this...
The 5" DD coil on my F70 is great, blows me away at the separation and the fact that it seems to get surprisingly deep and I mean past 10" even up to 12" or more under the right conditions.

This cheaper coil's depth, like most others, is probably all related to the tool you mount it on.
On the F44 or the F5 it might go pretty far but I have not heard of anyone using that combo yet on either unit.

On my F2 this similar coil, ($15 when bundled in the 2 coil package), was not particularly deep on that one but plenty deep enough...down to the 6"+ area.
Most of my targets usually hid not much deeper than that so I was fine with it.
This thing found coins galore in trashy sites that I thought I cleaned out well with bigger coils, lots of silver and an amazing amount of gold for me.
I thought it was kind of a joke at first, for 18 months I just used bigger coils and then one day threw it on my F2 just as a lark.
From the first hunt I realized I should have done this long before and it pretty much stayed on there for the next 1.5 years I used that detector.
Helped me find close to 10X's the price of the whole F2 package.

I have never owned any accessory that produced so much vs. the cost as that F2 sniper coil.

Attachments

• fisher4coil.jpg
    fisher4coil.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 175
  • teknetics4coil.jpg
    teknetics4coil.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread