Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. Not "needed". But they definitely increase your audio sensitivity and decrease the attraction of bystanders who hear the "beeps".

Detector Pro Black Widows are OUTSTANDING. I mostly use a single earpiece Detector Pro Rattler so I can also keep a situational awareness of the sounds around me with my other ear.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey KJ it's a personal preference to use head phones with the F75 or not. Using headphones does increase the battery life. I use a cheap $5 pair in the hot months and in areas where I need to stay alert to my surroundings. I use the black widows in the colder months and when I am hunting near busy railroads. You might want to check into some wireless options. I got a Deteknix transmitter and receiver set up (for Xmas) that can be used with all standard headphones, they last for about 6 hours per charge. They also have a nice headphone and transmitter set-up that lasts 10 hours. I hear good things about the Garret wireless setup which may give 30 hours between charging. Once you get used to not being tethered to the machine via a cord you will find it hard to go back to plugging in a standard headphone.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect with my F75 in the woods and where people won't be nosey without headphones !! But, when I do use them in the woods, I only put on 1 ear, that way I can hear someone sneaking up on me.. lol

But, like Loco-Digger said, they do save on your battery ...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I hate hunting without headphones anywhere for several reasons.
Also if you do it is one thing when a speaker is mounted on a faceplate pointing right at you like my two Tesoros...quite another when the speaker is in the battery compartment down near your elbow on the top end Fishers.
I really don't like that.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I know of someone who got kicked out of a park, apparently for not wearing headphones. Also when I tried detecting without phones once, a guy became very threatening, claiming metal detecting is illegal. I said people don't buy metal detectors to just use them in their own yard. Then he said just because it's legal to own a gun, doesn't mean murder is legal.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect with my F75 in the woods and where people won't be nosey without headphones !! But, when I do use them in the woods, I only put on 1 ear, that way I can hear someone sneaking up on me.. lol

But, like Loco-Digger said, they do save on your battery ...
That includes snakes and wild animals. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
K

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of someone who got kicked out of a park, apparently for not wearing headphones. Also when I tried detecting without phones once, a guy became very threatening, claiming metal detecting is illegal. I said people don't buy metal detectors to just use them in their own yard. Then he said just because it's legal to own a gun, doesn't mean murder is legal.

That's when you pull out your legal concealed carry gun a say "like this one?" [emoji83]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just make sure you're in a spot where "brandishing" won't get you in trouble.

I'd say a metal detector is more like a car - both are to be used in public places. Parks are like streets; playgrounds like parking lots.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab I had didn't "need" headphones and neither does my Tesoro Silver uMax ... can easily detect without them. Probably miss the deeper targets but can get by without them.

On an F75 - do you need to have headphones on when detecting with it?

If so what would be some good headphones?

Thanks

Yes, the F75 and F70 and F5 and F2 come with a speaker!

Sondog

Greenie
Feb 19, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta Fors Relic, Makro Red Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that my F75 SE, has the lowest volume of any Detector I own. Maybe it's location, but even maxed out, it's not very loud. I always use phones, but I also always have to try it without them, LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread