F75 Big Coil

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey good folks TNet! I have a Camo editon F75, I have a couple of sites which I'm probably guessing might have the potential to have deep targets. I have the stock 11" DD and 5" coils. Which coil do u recommend that can reach a coin at 16+ inches? NEL, just to mention a brand, has some huge coils. I would love to have a coil not bigger than 14". Iv'e heard those 15"+ coils are heavy as a brick!

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a coin at 16in in any soil with any size coil is not going to happen I would say. Possibly a jar of them though. This is depending if your soul is decent or not also.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any coil over 15" might not notice single coins at even 10". Depends on your soil and other factors.

If I knew of a coil that would find all coins at up to 16" I'd have one. But where I hunt I often do better with smaller coils to shoot through the trash and scrap. I've been running a NEL Sharpshooter (DD) on my F-75. So far 10" is about the limit on coins. About the same as the stock flounder skeleton coil.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the NEL 12 x 15 butterfly coil. It does add weight and if I plan on swinging it for more than an hour I use a make-shift harness to null the weight. Big coils are great in target sparse areas, but do not work well in trashy areas.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a coin at 16in in any soil with any size coil is not going to happen I would say. Possibly a jar of them though. This is depending if your soul is decent or not also.

Yes I know what u mean. Typically our soil here is good and not highly mineralized. The reason is that the majority of the sites o go to have been highly altered. What I mean is that our vegetation is very agressive (it grows very fast) and the majority of the land owners tend to use heavy machinery to clean up their properties and move 1-3' of the top soil to other places and stuff like that. When I see the ground of sites that hold a lot of history say 100-200 years and look down you don't see, glass, pieces of old pottery ect. and when u swing your detector theres hardly any iron signal. There are spots within the property that are littered with iron signals but you can tell is because the top layer of soil has been bulldozed or plowed and taken to near or far areas. Ive dug wheaties 8" down while I found an 1870 copper spanish coin just lying on top! Both coins where found a couple of meters between them! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496683737.381042.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496683756.124461.jpg
This can only be explained by the situation of the grounds being worked by heavy machinery! Thats why I want to get a big coil just to make sure I can go pretty deep to get stuff that could probably got deeper by any circumstance it might of faced.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
16 inches? Makes me laugh when people claim to find coins at depths like these. I guess an open field would be the best luck with that since masking will be pretty much minimal. I've dug a big flat button at 10+ inches with my f75 without bp. Still rang up fairly strong, and the vdi was right there. Also dug a barber quarter at closer to 12" and that signal was definitely faint! Still a solid visual display though. Both were with the stock DD coil. I've used my 15" coil on it recently. Wasn't too bad for about an hour then my shoulder felt like mush. Definitely seemed deep though. Especially for the smaller targets.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, a deep coin say 12"-14" will sound like iron? Perhaps a high tone mixed with an iron tone? I'm just looking for all the help and info I can get...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not necessarily. A coin should give a high tone. Iron a low tone. The F-75 has all kinds of settings and several display sections. The Fe3O4 scale will let you know if iron or iron oxide is under the coil. You may just get a faint sound, but the target scale is on a separate circuit (like a second detector) and a higher reading indicated coin metals.

Here is a scale of the display for common US coins and some odder ones.
F75TDIScale.jpg

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug a few deeper silver dimes that gave out an occasional iron grunt in between swings. One thing I noticed on those targets were the vdi numbers never dropped....just the audio. I've been digging all my deeper signals lately just to try and learn more about my machines tendencies. VERY rarely will a deep falsing nail stay up high in the visual numbers. I usually see 70's, and 80's on the screen, then every 3 swings back and forth a 20 something pops up and there's a few iron grunts in the mix. My silvers never dropped.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gains of large coils (say above 10 inches or so), are marginal on coin-sized objects. In highly mineralized soil sometimes larger coils get less depth. The real gains to be had with large coils are in cache hunting, where the target is bigger. Your best bet for getting deeper coins is using the all-metal mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread