Coil recommendations for Patriot/F70

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for some recommendations on sniper coils for my Patriot. I'm posting this here because it is a F70 clone and I'd rather get some answers from experienced users and the Patriot is fairly new. I'm considering the Fisher, NEL and CORS 5" DD's. Also Considering the CORS shrew and NEL snake. I opted away from the Fisher 6.5x3 because it is a concentric coil and I'd prefer a little more depth and separation that the DD's have. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am super please with the Fisher 5" DD Coil, it gets amazing depth for it's size. I have 4 coils for my F75, both the stock and 5"DD, a nel sharpshooter, and a nel 12" x 15" coil.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I found tons with the 5" DD but I worked out a trade and got a Nel Sharpshooter just for the heck of it.
I was going for the snake but changed my mind and I am very glad I did.
Great sensitivity, depth, separation, a sniper but in a slightly bigger package that I like....learning to love, actually.
Also quieter than the Fisher coils on most settings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys think there is an advantage to aftermarket or factory coils?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

I never used to, can't tell you how much great treasure I have found with my Fisher coils....silver, gold and more.
But the Nels advertise theirs to be a bit better shielded so maybe quieter in many sites and I believe I have experienced this.
I hunt with settings from low and dead silent to maxed out and insane that is not quiet at all so not a huge deal but a quieter coil can have some advantages on these units without DST noise reduction.
One, more pumped up settings I can use and still hunt fairly quietly and two, sometimes a quieter environment overall can help me notice a few good targets better in my already, jumpy, crazy, mineralized soil.

In great dirt and at sites without much EMI it might not matter in the slightest but since using this Nel I have found several great targets I missed in sites I have hunted uncountable times before.
The area of the country I hunt in has some of the worst dirt and conditions possible in many areas so I thought if I got this coil it would be a crapshoot but it might help me eke out a few more heavily masked and hidden targets...and it seems to be doing just that.
Nothing miraculous but just different and sometimes different can be better.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/f...-my-new-nel-sharpshooter-coil-f70-review.html

Also some report more depth with aftermarket coils but my factory coils always got me surprisingly deep in all kinds of dirt from bad to great so a non issue for me.

Last edited:

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I have ordered the regular Fisher 10 inch CC for my Patriot to ring and jewelry hunt with. The Minnesota digger videos on You Tube have convinced me to give it a try. I like the 11 inch coil DD real well, and it will have a place in those deep volley ball courts, but for all around hunting I think the 5 x 10 will be good for my style of hunting. One thing about the Patriot as hot as is, it can be controlled better off the edge of the coil better than the gamma, omega,outlaw,vaquero,m6 and xterra. This kills you up close on metal structures. Good luck and HH!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have ordered the regular Fisher 10 inch CC for my Patriot to ring and jewelry hunt with. The Minnesota digger videos on You Tube have convinced me to give it a try. I like the 11 inch coil DD real well, and it will have a place in those deep volley ball courts, but for all around hunting I think the 5 x 10 will be good for my style of hunting. One thing about the Patriot as hot as is, it can be controlled better off the edge of the coil better than the gamma, omega,outlaw,vaquero,m6 and xterra. This kills you up close on metal structures. Good luck and HH!

Good choice...As a jewelry hunter I can't tell you how many superpowers this one has...

Google this.
The 10" elliptical coil...a marvel!

OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after reading digger27's review of the NEL sharpshooter, I think I may have decided to go that way. I like the idea of a sniper type coil in a slightly bigger package. I had a 4 inch concentric for my last detector and was able to get great separation with the cost of only having a 4 inch swing path. I truly hate only getting 4 or 5 inches of ground with each swing. One more question for digger 27, Is it different enough from the factory 11"DD to warrant spending the money? Is the separation that good??

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, after reading digger27's review of the NEL sharpshooter, I think I may have decided to go that way. I like the idea of a sniper type coil in a slightly bigger package. I had a 4 inch concentric for my last detector and was able to get great separation with the cost of only having a 4 inch swing path. I truly hate only getting 4 or 5 inches of ground with each swing. One more question for digger 27, Is it different enough from the factory 11"DD to warrant spending the money? Is the separation that good??

I love my fisher 5" DD, but like you mentioned, it takes an eternity to cover any ground......but...I've found some damn deep coins with it considering it's size.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

The 11"DD is your deep coil, in great soil I hit as far as 15", definitely 8-12" easy and it covers a lot of real estate with that wide scanning field so it's hard to miss much.
In a pinch by lowering your gain down to below 40 you can fool that big coil into thinking it's a sniper coil and hunt in some real trashy sites very successfully.
I have even used it in insane iron infested sites on max power in disc and all metal and learned to find great non ferrous targets
In great soil I also used that 10" elliptical concentric a lot, learned to love that one too, but more often then not I used that 5" DD because I aim for the trashiest kinds of like picnic areas, basketball and volleyball court perimeters and more because I am a dedicated jewelry at my core.
In some areas that 5"DD got way deep too, shockingly deep, and even though most of my deepest targets average 6-8" there were a few that were deeper and I could hit those with the sniper too plus I got really deep depth readings using that thing from time to time like 11-12 and even 13-14" on a few but never dug them...too deep to go after them in the public parks I usually hunt.
I got into snipers after finding 3X's the great treasure with my 4" coil mounted on my old F2 than I ever did using bigger coils.
I became a believer after that experience.
I also made sure I had snipers for my Vaq and F70 too because of that plus I also own a 7" coil Compadre and a Mojave with the same size coil and those cover decent sized areas but also work extremely well just like snipers in trash and masking iron on Tesoros as far as I am concerned.

Moving to the SE. I now hunt in horrible mineralized dirt with insane amounts of iron in most of my public sites because of the history of this city and on my F70 I have put in many hours using all three of my coils, the 5" DD, the concentric and the 11" DD.
They all work well but here it is an even playing field regarding depth, all will hit the 8" area, the two DD's will anyway, which is fine for me as most of my oldest targets still average 4-6" anyway.
The deepest I ever got on a target around here is about 8"...could have been 9", and that was with the 5" DD on an 1800's V nickel that was worn thin as a dime.
I could hardly believe it but a friend I was hunting with who owns an E Trac really was shocked.
He held the coin in his hand, saw the still open hole it came out of and the small coil that found it and just kept shaking his head.
He has never come close to this depth in the bad stuff with his rig around here and he mostly uses an SEF coil about the same size as this one.

Because of all the trash and iron I deal with I still used that 5" more than the others and since it worked so well when a chance came up to trade away my Vaq which I don't use much anymore to a dealer and get some new toys with no out of pocket money spent my first thought was to try a different kind of sniper coil.
Didn't think I needed it but I was curious and I figured if it didn't work any better than my 5" DD no harm no foul but if it worked even a tiny bit better here, got even an inch deeper or unmasked any targets a little better it was worth trying.
When I got that Nel coil a few a few weeks ago I mounted it and haven't taken it off since.
It is doing everything that DD 5" was doing, just about as well too from what I can see and not sure about the max depth yet but I am hitting the range I need to be at easily and I did hit a 10" nickel in volleyball sand that still GB'd at 59-60.
Plus that quieter thing, I like to use higher settings a lot so this is a pretty big deal to me in certain sites where a quieter environment even on higher gain and thresh might be helping me to notice masked targets even better.
Also that little larger frame seems to make it feel like I am hunting with a bigger coil than it is and covering ground efficiently even when I wander into wide open less trashy areas.
It's not really huge but it feels like it is definitely bigger than that 5" round DD, in my head anyway.
The Snake would probably have worked fine but the dealer would have had to order it and he carried the Sharpshooter in stock so I went for that instead and I am now glad I did.
Serendipity.

I have bigger coils and use them but I don't feel my arsenal or any detector I swing is complete unless I have a sniper coil to utilize so yea, I think it is different enough to have both the big DD and a sniper at the ready.
That would be anywhere in good soil or bad but if you hunt in very trashy or iron infested sites a lot like I do a sniper coil is a must...or at the very least it makes everything easier.

Hunting in mostly public parks my F70 paid for itself very quickly in the clad and silver and gold it found...just a few months, and went on to do it at least three times more at least after that....maybe more.
Just the gold I found with it in the last three years at melt has got to be somewhere around $1000, add in the $200 to $250 worth of clad I averaged in the last few years and the silver jewelry on top of that.
The great old coins I have found with it I don't really count but there are silver dimes, silver halves and even a Peace dollar among a ton of others so just icing on the cake.
Each of those coils I used did their share and each paid for itself too along the way.

We are literally in a hobby that pays for itself if we get good enough at it and hunt the right spots, paying a little bit for tools that can make our job easier, more productive and fun is a no-brainer decision to me.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You can't go wrong with a factory coil. But there may be an aftermarket that is different enough to be useful to you for your specific needs.

OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on my soil ground balancing around 70, the amount of iron in the ground and the swipe path, I've decided on the NEL Sharpshooter. I expect it to work well. If not, it'll be in the classifieds or ebay and on to the smaller coils. Thank you, everyone, for your advice.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be aware of the weight ! A heavy aftermarket can make the machine seem heavy and out of balance. the little 10 inch eliptical concentric was my go to coil on the F5, light,deep and small. and pinpoint is amazing
chub

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
be aware of the weight ! A heavy aftermarket can make the machine seem heavy and out of balance. the little 10 inch eliptical concentric was my go to coil on the F5, light,deep and small. and pinpoint is amazing
chub

The 5" DD felt like nothing was on the end of my rod, the Sharpshooter feels exactly the same.
The 10" concentric never felt much different to me and there is more weight with the 11" DD but no big deal really and most Fishers are so ergonomic and balanced so well in their design that I can still swing that coil all day.
Now the 15" Fisher coil supposedly is a monster, some say it actually can bend your bottom rod and can be a bear to maneuver around in the woods and other situations.
The F75 was designed with the 11"DD in mind, the big one supposedly throws the dynamics out of whack big time.
The 11" Fisher DD got me as deep as I ever wanted to go but if I was the type that wanted to use one of those bigger coils that is where some of the large aftermarket coils might have some advantages because a few are lighter due to their construction.
Even an ounce might make a difference when swinging these things for an extended length of time.

OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the sharpshooter and used it for an hour last night. It swings nicer and I got a few coins, gonna see what it can really do today. I'm headed out shortly.

OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put some time in with the NEL Sharpshooter and I didn't think it was much different than the 11"DD at first. I did find my first IHP (1888) and a 61 quarter along with a lot of clad in areas that I've covered with the factory coil and my previous detector. I decided to switch back to the factory coil to cover a neighbor's yard a little faster. I saw the difference immediately. The NEL is much quieter in the same settings and conditions and the separation is great. It is really nice not having all that chatter distracting me. I did a little air testing to see how it stacked up against the factory coil and the results were very close even though the Sharpshooter is two inches shorter. It swings better than the factory coil, in fact, I have been trying to devise a way to center mount the big 11 incher. I like it so much that I've been contemplating trying a coil similar to the factory size for a replacement. I'm also debating on buying one of the NEL Sharp coils, but I'm not sure if I need another small coil after swinging the Sharpshooter. I really appreciate all the recommendations and as for anyone considering this coil for their Patriot/F70, feel free to ask any questions. By the way, did I mention how much I like the quietness of this coil!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I think I mentioned a few times that maybe the best feature of this thing is it seems to be quieter than the factory products.
Supposedly better shielding out of the factory, maybe the cord is too.
Also on their website it states it is better in mineralized soil than others and i believe this might also be true.
A little anyway.
I definitely noticed the quiet thing right away.
Depth for me in the real world seems excellent also.

I loved the 5" Fisher sniper but this is my go-to sniper coil now.

OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger27, Are your depth readings accurate. Mine seems to read a little deeper than the target, off by about two inches. It may have been due to other items in the ground, but I was pinpointing very accurately and reading 5 inches. I dig the penny and find it at 2-3 inches.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Petty accurate all the way around on mine, then again mine has always been no matter what coil.
I have read this is not always the case on all F70's and F75's out of the factory...some kind of programming quirk I suppose.
Do a reset after switching coils always, this might bring it back into line.

I have dug targets at shallow to 1-3 inches and it is right about there, from 4" on up mine has always been surprisingly correct....maybe a .5 to 1" difference from the real deep ones past 7".

Some targets are off but not the good ones, for me iron from small to large is usually screwed up at least a little but I don't go after that much.

OP
OP
H

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some reading in the NEL instructions. I had my sens. Way up when I ground balanced. They recommend GB around 50. I'll see if that helps too. Thanks for the reply. I'll post if I get better results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread