JConis

Greenie
Mar 10, 2017
Pilot Mound, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 &F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been so hot and dry for the last several weeks the ground is like concrete until you break it up then it's like sand. Temps in the 90s so this morning I was at the new park with the F70 to finish up the last section behind the stage at 5:30 am. It was already 71 degrees and humid as all get out.

The first signal of the day was a dime at 3" like everything else I've found in this park. Second signal was mixed up but good high tone. VDI was bouncy from 44 -81 but the high number kept showing up. The F70 said it was 4"-5" deep and wouldn't lock on to a number. Seemed odd so may as well dig a bit. At 3" I pulled out a newer pull tabs. I swept the coil over the hole and the high tone and number was still there. I maxed out the carrot and got a weak hit at the bottom of the hole. I dug out another 3" of dirt and the pinpointer said I was close. 2" more dirt came out and my last scoop I had the target in my hand. Moved the dirt around a bit and there it was ..... A freaking Barber dime!!!!!! 1901, not in the best shape but it's MINE!!!

IMG_20170709_095111.jpg

IMG_20170709_095025.jpg

I can't wait for some rain so I can return to look for the deeper stuff. I gotta say I am definitely gaining faith in the F70. Settings today were disc=21, sens=75, thresh=-1, speed=de, notch=1, tone=3H. Thanks for looking.

GL/HH

Jeff

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Jeff. You are becoming one with that F70. Keep it up man...this is just the beginning!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barber Dime is one of the first silvers I ever found! First find was a rosie. Not nearly as cool as this! Keep on swingin

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Great save!
Screen info and tones are great to utilize but sometimes it is all about instinct...and in this hobby instinct is not inherent but something we slowly learn.
I usually avoid most non stable signals nowadays but still on many something in that signal made me stop and dig and I was surprised and rewarded with great treasure.
If all of this was easy and obvious there would be a ton more hunters in this hobby and a lot less treasure buried for us to find.
Luckily the universe messes with us out there in the world...a lot.

The easy obvious targets are great to find but these are the kinds of recoveries that make us proud and glad that we spent time learning our tools so well.
Somehow the rewards seem sweeter when we have to work for them a little more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JConis

JConis

Greenie
Mar 10, 2017
Pilot Mound, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 &F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!! I'm really starting to like this F70.
HH
Jeff

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice save! That f70 is a workhorse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread