verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I just worked a ton of overtime and decided to spend some hard earned cash on something to find some hard to find coins.

I've mostly used Bounty Hunter detectors over the years and really wanted to step up my detector. I thought about changing brands and buying something new. After much reading, research, consideration and shopping for a fantastic deal, I finally settled on a Fisher F75 SE, with 5" and 11" factory coils, a NEL Hunter and a Sunray Probe. It was a pleasant eBay transaction and I was chomping at the bit for the mailman to get here.

I worked a 12 hour day the day the detector arrived and I put it together in the evening. I turned it on and it went ballistic! Bad detector I thought at first and got burned on eBay!

Turns out that the new LED street lamps make night time detecting in my yard impossible due to the EMI they give off. I fired up the F75 the very next morning and it was oh so quiet and it took me another evening to realize that it was the new street lights.

My first experience was a learning one. I managed to find a 1962 nickel and get to know the F75. I took it out to the fields that I detect and really played with it. I didn't find anything spectacular, 2 more foil condom coin packs for a total of 9 and a few bullets. I really plan on putting some time in on the machine in the next few days.

Thanks for posting and sharing your F75 experiences here, it has been a very big help!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the F75. Did you try changing the channel to quieten it down? Does it have DST and is it on? Did you turn sensitivity down? All these things help if its noisy. Im not sure what your primary targets are. In the park I find that some screw on bottle caps are annoyingly close on the VDI to coins. There are many versions of the F75. Does it have cache and boost mode in the process menu?
My go to tone now is DP, its probably one of the more difficult to learn but once you know it....its awesome.
Generally any high tone (high 90s vdi) plus a grunt mean its rubbish.
The factory default setting is actually very good.
Remember that anything under 29 on sensitivity is considered 'low' sensitivity.
Battery life on these units is excellent.

Chub

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I just worked a ton of overtime and decided to spend some hard earned cash on something to find some hard to find coins.

I've mostly used Bounty Hunter detectors over the years and really wanted to step up my detector. I thought about changing brands and buying something new. After much reading, research, consideration and shopping for a fantastic deal, I finally settled on a Fisher F75 SE, with 5" and 11" factory coils, a NEL Hunter and a Sunray Probe. It was a pleasant eBay transaction and I was chomping at the bit for the mailman to get here.

I worked a 12 hour day the day the detector arrived and I put it together in the evening. I turned it on and it went ballistic! Bad detector I thought at first and got burned on eBay!

Turns out that the new LED street lamps make night time detecting in my yard impossible due to the EMI they give off. I fired up the F75 the very next morning and it was oh so quiet and it took me another evening to realize that it was the new street lights.

My first experience was a learning one. I managed to find a 1962 nickel and get to know the F75. I took it out to the fields that I detect and really played with it. I didn't find anything spectacular, 2 more foil condom coin packs for a total of 9 and a few bullets. I really plan on putting some time in on the machine in the next few days.

Thanks for posting and sharing your F75 experiences here, it has been a very big help!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the F75. If your's has the FA process it has the DST upgrade. I use FA in trashy areas with small coils, FA is the process that is the most susceptible to EMI. Most of the time I run in DE mode and disc 1-6 to 1-9 depending on the site. PF mode is great in rutty soil since it decreases the amount of falsing in case you have a fast sweep speed like me. In town I run sensitivity between 65 & 75 and up to 90 in rural areas. I never max it out. This thing goes deep even at 65%. I never used bc mode and rarely use JE even though they say it's the deepest on the standard model. I also have a probe, but am so used to using a pin pointer that I should sell it. It does use the same discrimination as your detector though. Make sure that when you get to a new site, that you go zero disc and find a silent patch of ground and do your ground grab. If your detector is chatty due to EMI, flip through the 7 freqs until you find a quiet one.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chub....There was NOOOOOO quieting it down. Anywhere in my front yard at night and the LED streetlamp makes the F75 go ballistic. I turned everything off! haha! Thanks for your input Chub and Loco Digger. I played with the 5" coil in my front yard today. I pulled more clad and even a 36 wheat. I was running 50 Sens, 15 Disc, and in DE mode with 2L Tones. When that thing hits a coin, you KNOW its a coin. I did chase a few false signals today in some soil that was compacted clay, with red dog and hot rocks in it. I also had a few "AWWW MAN! I thought that was a coin!" hits.
I am seriously impressed with the power of the F75. I went to my buddy Dave's house and we hit his back alley that is really a dirt road. I pulled 2 quarters and penny out of there, then he kinda got frustrated because he was just digging junk and he showed me an old bottle/trash dump not far from his house and real close to the river. I was swung the F75 around in that rich river silt and hit a big piece of aluminum pie pan at about 17". My Sens was only at 40, 6 Disc, DE mode. He was impressed. Then I pulled a smashed aluminum can at 15". He could hardly believe it.

Now if I can only find the location of Braddock's gold..... There's this walnut tree on the Youghiogheny river near a creek....

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DP? do you mean BP??

Yes DP is delta pitch in tones. BP is boost process ( my machine does not have this) in the process menu. I have posted elsewhere that I am now using Delta pitch most of the time. Digger 27 wrote an excellent review of DP on the F70.

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub....There was NOOOOOO quieting it down. Anywhere in my front yard at night and the LED streetlamp makes the F75 go ballistic. I turned everything off! haha! Thanks for your input Chub and Loco Digger. I played with the 5" coil in my front yard today. I pulled more clad and even a 36 wheat. I was running 50 Sens, 15 Disc, and in DE mode with 2L Tones. When that thing hits a coin, you KNOW its a coin. I did chase a few false signals today in some soil that was compacted clay, with red dog and hot rocks in it. I also had a few "AWWW MAN! I thought that was a coin!" hits.
I am seriously impressed with the power of the F75. I went to my buddy Dave's house and we hit his back alley that is really a dirt road. I pulled 2 quarters and penny out of there, then he kinda got frustrated because he was just digging junk and he showed me an old bottle/trash dump not far from his house and real close to the river. I was swung the F75 around in that rich river silt and hit a big piece of aluminum pie pan at about 17". My Sens was only at 40, 6 Disc, DE mode. He was impressed. Then I pulled a smashed aluminum can at 15". He could hardly believe it.

Now if I can only find the location of Braddock's gold..... There's this walnut tree on the Youghiogheny river near a creek....

Yeah, I feel the sensitivity is more closely related to threshold than an actual gain control.....the lower sensitivity still goes crazy deep....higher sensitivity seems to read every bit of magnetite etc without vast increase in depth. Its a great machine.

chub

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the same model you got verbious. I absolutely love mine still......even after trying out my new tejon.

I just feel like once you learn the f75 well with a few hundred hours of use and if you pay attention to the subtle things in the signals you can become super efficient with them!

I love my tejon so far, but to be honest, IMO the f75 is a superior machine. It just has so many tools and repeatable behavior to not be successful with it.

Then, when I load up my tejon with batteries I need 8.....which is good for 30+ hours where my f75 takes 4 and to be honest that 40 hours claim is light. I get LOTS of time out of my batteries! Plus, it's light, comfy, lightning fast recovery, deep, accurate, easy to set up. Things I think could be better. Depth readings always read deeper than they are, stock coil can be tricky to pinpoint at times. Power/volume knob was definitely put where it is to make us cuss. Will tend to false on deep nails, giving a signal that resembles a deep silver dime....kind of.

Few other goods and bads but it is my first machine I would grab if something had to be found. So many ways to set them up and hunt just about anywhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of batteries, I've been scouring the manual for the F75. What kind of batteries are you all running? alkalines get about 40 hours, Nickel oxyhydroxide batteries up to 80 hours and lithium iron disulfide batteries up to 65 hours.

It's a beautiful day here. I'm gonna go swing the F75 in my yard some more.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sams club duracell bulk pack. 16bucks. If you go through all them you're retired and detector all day, every day....lol.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm new in the f75 club also ,in fact I know the detector you got I considered
Bidding on it, then opted for the new one. Are you using the hunter coil? Hard
To tell relative performance when you
Have little time in on a detector.
My favorite settings so far is no discrim. Sensitivity 60-80, De mode and delta pitch. I've had only minimal problems with emi so far.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new in the f75 club also ,in fact I know the detector you got I considered
Bidding on it, then opted for the new one. Are you using the hunter coil?

Once I saw the F75 listed, I knew I wanted it so I just made an offer, got a counter off, then I counter offered. My counter offer was accepted! I've gotten some fantastic deals by Making an Offer when the item is Bid, Buy It Now, or Best Offer.

Since you are also new to the F75, you know what a powerhouse this thing is. I found it very simple to use and at the same time the power is a little overwhelming. I've also found that I really like the FeTones.

I played around with the Hunter coil and I have to say, I need more time on the machine. I've used the 5" more and I really like it. I've used other NEL coils and I have to say that the Tornado is amazing on my Bounty Hunter Platinum.

The more I use the Sunray FX1, the more I like it.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I've got more time in the F75 and I wonder where this detector has been all my detecting life! I decided to get a 50 minute hunt in at a park nearby that I am sure it's hunted to death. I walked down the hill to one of the earliest parts of the park and was running the 5" coil. After digging some pull tabs I decided to call it and dig one more target. I skipped over several pull tab VDI and found a Target that was just barely different than a tab. I dug a 2" wide hole with my screw driver and got down about 3 inches and stuffed the sunray in the hole. Turns out that there were 2 targets in the sidewalls opposite each other. One was a 1958 wheat and the other was a gold ring pull that made my heart stop for a second. I am blown away by the capabilities of this detector!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Well I've got more time in the F75 and I wonder where this detector has been all my detecting life! I decided to get a 50 minute hunt in at a park nearby that I am sure it's hunted to death. I walked down the hill to one of the earliest parts of the park and was running the 5" coil. After digging some pull tabs I decided to call it and dig one more target. I skipped over several pull tab VDI and found a Target that was just barely different than a tab. I dug a 2" wide hole with my screw driver and got down about 3 inches and stuffed the sunray in the hole. Turns out that there were 2 targets in the sidewalls opposite each other. One was a 1958 wheat and the other was a gold ring pull that made my heart stop for a second. I am blown away by the capabilities of this detector!

Amazing, isn't it?
The language can be straightforward in normal great dirt and clean sites or much more obtuse in mineralization and heavy iron, trash and other high masking scenarios...especially deep, but even in the worst conditions there is still a language there that you can learn to understand.
I have hunted in great soil out west, extreme iron infestation in some of that dirt, mineralized soil back here in the SE. and mostly in sites with tons of iron and trash.
There was a different language and target behavior patterns in all of them plus extra depending on target depth from shallow to deeper to really deep.
My job was to learn to observe and recognize all these different languages and indicators and somehow find different settings to make each of those different languages clearer and more understandable at every different kind of site...something I have somewhat succeeded at doing but not 100% perfectly by any means.
I will never hit that 100% number, there will always be extremely masked targets I probably won't find but I keep trying new settings to raise that success percentage as high as I can.
Still, I have been able to pull a surprising amount of shockingly quality treasure from many very difficult sites that have long been considered hunted out but actually were nowhere near that.
My skills have grown with experience but it is the tool I use that has made most of this possible, my F70.
I believe that.
I have found too many great things at too many totally scoured sites, by myself with a few other detectors and by countless others, to dismiss this as a coincidence.

Lots of fine, great detectors and brands out there but I consider myself lucky I eventually came across this Fisher line and spent enough time with them and formed a close enough bond with them to push me to try to understand them at a deeper level.
For me that journey has been fun...and highly productive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing, isn't it?
The language can be straightforward in normal great dirt and clean sites or much more obtuse in mineralization and heavy iron, trash and other high masking scenarios...especially deep, but even in the worst conditions there is still a language there that you can learn to understand.
I have hunted in great soil out west, extreme iron infestation in some of that dirt, mineralized soil back here in the SE. and mostly in sites with tons of iron and trash.
There was a different language and target behavior patterns in all of them plus extra depending on depth from shallow to deeper to really deep.
My job was to learn to observe and recognize all these different languages and indicators and somehow find different settings to make each of those different languages clearer and more understandable at every different kind of site...something I have somewhat succeeded at doing but not 100% perfectly by any means.
I will never hit that 100% number, there will always be extremely masked targets I probably won't find but I keep trying new settings to raise that success setting percentage as high as I can.
Still, I have been able to pull a surprising amount of shockingly quality treasure from many very difficult sites that have long been considered hunted out but actually were nowhere near that.
My skills have grown with experience but it is the tool I use that has made most of this possible, my F70.
I believe that.
I have found too many great things at too many totally scoured sites, by myself with a few other detectors and by countless others, to dismiss this as a coincidence.

Lots of fine, great detectors and brands out there but I consider myself lucky I eventually came across this Fisher line and spent enough time with them and formed a close enough bond with them to push me to try to understand them at a deeper level.
For me that journey has been fun...and highly productive.
The journey it's what it's all about!!!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait till you flip that baby over to the AM side. Crank up the sens. And watch how many targets you swiped over in disc. In the past.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait till you flip that baby over to the AM side. Crank up the sens. And watch how many targets you swiped over in disc. In the past.
I'm gonna try it tonight!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had mine for 10 years. Sent it back for upgrades (bless Fisher for offering to do that!) and it still pleases me regularly. Light, fast and it finds good stuff!

I also have a Sunray on mine. GREAT combination.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna try it tonight!!

It's very busy, but once you get used to it you won't want to go back to disc. Other than to give your ears a break. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread