New year, thought big for 2018

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Go big or go home they say, to that end I got me a new friend to hunt with this year.
A Cors Cannon coil, cousin to the Nel Thunder.
Seems well balanced, not all that heavy and a bit noisy on my higher settings I tend to use but I have not wandered away from my noisy, EMI filled front lawn...yet.

photostudio_1515607926702.jpg

Will it work at all in my devil dirt and infested sites, can I actually get to a deeper level unknown to me up to this point?
Can I still make sense of things from shallow to deeper and separate targets well enough even in all this ridiculous iron?
How will the F70 get along with it, what settings can be used to coax the best performance out of it without driving me crazy?
Will the language and behavior be the same as what I already know with all of my other coils or will there be even more to notice and learn to get to even deeper levels?
I have no clue but it will sure be fun trying out different settings and experimenting to find answers to all these questions.

I will still be using my Sharpshooter coil a lot, the 10" elliptical will spend time with me too because it is such a great and fun coil to use and I might still throw the 5" DD on there once in awhile but for now I need to swing his thing for a bit in order to learn to understand this beast.
That 11" DD in the pic was the biggest coil I have ever swung up till now so I am looking forward to seeing what can happen...especially in many of the same sites that have been scoured so many times before by myself and others.

All of this is new territory, nobody I know, hunted with or heard of around here uses a Fisher or even any Teknetics unit with any coil besides me so I guess I will be blazing some new trails...right up my ally because you guys know I love to do that.
I have about half a dozen favorite settings I will try first and then I am sure I will get into exploring others as time goes on.
Very excited, not a new detector but the next best thing and as you know on these Fishers just changing a coil or a setting or two can and might change these things into a totally different animal.

Right now I feel like Lewis or Clark...you never know what new or surprising discovery might be up ahead right around the next bend in the river.
I will be reporting back on my impressions, insights, observations and discoveries on this new journey as time goes on because, well, I can't help myself and that is just what I do.
Hopefully this will be another surprising, shocking and treasure filled year but I expect nothing less because they all have been so far.

The temps have risen a bit, we have some rain in the area that hopefully will clear out for a bit today so me and my new buddy can get out and start getting to know each other better.
I think it might go well.

Stay tuned.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go big or go home they say, to that end I got me a new friend to hunt with this year.
A Cors Cannon coil, cousin to the Nel Thunder.
Seems well balanced, not all that heavy and a bit noisy on my higher settings I tend to use but I have not wandered away from my noisy, EMI filled front lawn...yet.

View attachment 1535798

Will it work at all in my devil dirt and infested sites, can I actually get to a deeper level unknown to me up to this point?
Can I still make sense of things from shallow to deeper and separate targets well enough even in all this ridiculous iron?
How will the F70 get along with it, what settings can be used to coax the best performance out of it without driving me crazy?
Will the language and behavior be the same as what I already know with all of my other coils or will there be even more to notice and learn to get to even deeper levels?
I have no clue but it will sure be fun trying out different settings and experimenting to find answers to all these questions.

I will still be using my Sharpshooter coil a lot, the 10" elliptical will spend time with me too because it is such a great and fun coil to use and I might still throw the 5" DD on there once in awhile but for now I need to swing his thing for a bit in order to learn to understand this beast.
That 11" DD in the pic was the biggest coil I have ever swung up till now so I am looking forward to seeing what can happen...especially in many of the same sites that have been scoured so many times before by myself and others.

All of this is new territory, nobody I know, hunted with or heard of around here uses a Fisher or even any Teknetics unit with any coil besides me so I guess I will be blazing some new trails...right up my ally because you guys know I love to do that.
I have about half a dozen favorite settings I will try first and then I am sure I will get into exploring others as time goes on.
Very excited, not a new detector but the next best thing and as you know on these Fishers just changing a coil or a setting or two can and might change these things into a totally different animal.

Right now I feel like Lewis or Clark...you never know what new or surprising discovery might be up ahead right around the next bend in the river.
I will be reporting back on my impressions, insights, observations and discoveries on this new journey as time goes on because, well, I can't help myself and that is just what I do.
Hopefully this will be another surprising, shocking and treasure filled year but I expect nothing less because they all have been so far.

The temps have risen a bit, we have some rain in the area that hopefully will clear out for a bit today so me and my new buddy can get out and start getting to know each other better.
I think it might go well.

Stay tuned.
I look forward to your digs!!

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be following this one! That'd be my choice of large coils if I feel the need, but for now I'm still working with the NEL Hunter. I'd love to get that on some of my local farm land and see what's hidden down deep. Good luck, hope it finds many silvers and gold's for you!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also looking forward to the results. Is it on backwards though? Or was it just a quick pic for comparison?

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Also looking forward to the results. Is it on backwards though? Or was it just a quick pic for comparison?

Backwards?
No directions, seems to fit both ways.
It has a ridge I assume to be used as a stopper for too much rotation but it doesn't affect anything at the angle I use it.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Backwards?
No directions, seems to fit both ways.
It has a ridge I assume to be used as a stopper for too much rotation but it doesn't affect anything at the angle I use it.

Gotcha. Yeah I put mine with the stop up front so my coil would lay all the way flat while machine is laying on the ground.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck with your new coil digger27
I'll be looking for your posts. Only coil I use on my f75 is the stock so interesting for possible future coil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digger27, I know how you feel. I'm using a Deus in the land of White's and Garretts. I'm not sure there is much of a true advantage, I mean you really do have to get the loop over the target and decide to dig it, I wish you the best. When I went big with my larger coil on my Tesoro Lobo I really cleaned up.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new coil. I can swing my large coil for about an hour without my harness. If I plan on swinging it all day I definitely use my harness. I am still looking for my 1st 12-14" deep coin. My deepest coin was a large silver French 5 Frans at 10-10.5 inches and I pulled it using the stock coil at a rain drenched permission.

20150702_164627.jpg

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I know how you feel. Purchased an attack coil for my AT, and can't wait to swing it over area's that I've already covered. Good Luck to ya:icon_thumleft:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks awesome. Did you practice pin pointing yet? Also interested if you experience any fatigue.

chub

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It actually is on backwards. You won't be able to swivel it fully if you are steep terrains.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks all...got out for a couple of hours a few days ago but then the cold weather returned so I probably won't get out again to get a decent hunt in again till next weekend although a friend just asked me to get out for a few hours at an old park this morning and I am thinking king about it...but it is so cold.
Still I have a few initial impressions I can share.

It is big and not light, definitely heavier than the Fisher 11"DD which I can swing all day effortlessly but it is still well balanced on my Fisher.
This one I definitely know I am swinging but it isn't all that bad and I can still probably do it all day if needed.
It glides along soft ground easily so that helps.

It deals with bottle caps the same as the rest of my DD coils, the wiggle and pull back method causes a drop down to lower numbers as the front edge if the coil passes over this kind of target.
Using the same technique makes pinpointing pretty effortless and the usual way I pinpoint most of my targets and when using the pinpoint button the target shows up in the center of the coil at all depths so all that is great.

I only picked up three coins on this hunt but I learned a couple of things on each one.
The first was a common copper memorial cent that was not deep but was in an area I had been over a hundred times before and never saw it once.
This area is also problematic being in a site that is surrounded by wires on all sides, right next to a building with WiFi and never has been a quiet place to hunt but even though it was still jumping a bit in tones and numbers as always my F70 quieted down and gave me some solid 72-73 numbers and great tones as I swung the coil over it.
As far as noise my Sharpshooter coil is unusually quiet in this same area, much quieter than my Fisher coils so I can actually bump the sense up a bit higher than usual.
Using this coil and settings of disc 6, thresh at -2, I was surprised to be able to push the sense up to 95-99 without a whole lot of chatter.
Usually I can't get much past 80-85 here if even that so it was nice to see this one handle the EMI so well...that was unexpected for such a big coil.

The other two coins were quarters in a different area of the park.
One was laying right on the surface under some leaves and again a solid non jumpy dead on 85 with no overload even though the coil was right on top of it.
The other quarter was also shallow, maybe an inch deep at the most but the cool thing about this one was I believe it was standing completely vertical and this coil still picked up on it from at least two ways perfectly.
All three coins pinpointed perfectly using both the wiggle and pull back method and the pinpoint button.

I didn't dig a ton of targets but on the ones I did the ID's seemed pretty good and normal for around here.
Different sized pieces of can slaw ranged from foil up to nickel, iron came in either as dead on iron or falsed high up into the high ranges on sweeps.
Those that did false acted with behavior I know well in that it either changed to iron from 90 degrees or hit high from one way and dropped to iron on the return sweep.
Every piece of iron I called iron, none were surprise good targets but most that act like this rarely are although I still dig many signals like these just in case.
Large pieces of can slaw from thick bottoms or tops to crushed or flattened full cans came in normally in the dime area and swinging way high over them still came in solid so I could tell what they were, coins don't act this way around here.

Depth...the real reason I decided to get this coil.
It does seem deeper, I got depth readings at the 5, 6, 7 and even up to 8-9" on a couple even though I didn't dig them because they jumped a bit too much.
On this hunt I was concentrating on mostly the more solid stable targets but I will get into digging more on future hunts.
I can't say for sure yet but I think this one possibly might live at a bit deeper level than all my other coils.
I hoped even an inch or two would be great and this might be doing just that but I have to try it at other sites and a larger gangs if dirt to get more data.
Man, if I can get to the 8"+ level consistently, my dream is 9-10" if possible, I suspect there might be a whole lot more great targets down there that nobody around here has been able to reach or make sense of ever in this strange dirt.

All of this was fun, I love exploring these things with a new coil and hopefully I will be surprised or even shocked as my season goes on but I am happy with my short experience so far and makes me think this might have been a great decision to take a shot on getting this beast but much more data to gather so we will see.

More to come.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It actually is on backwards. You won't be able to swivel it fully if you are steep terrains.

I am not a mountain goat so I don't hit those kind if areas much but I might today.
I still don't need to get it flat even at these kind of sites but we will see.
If it is a problem I will change it.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Congrats on your new coil. I can swing my large coil for about an hour without my harness. If I plan on swinging it all day I definitely use my harness. I am still looking for my 1st 12-14" deep coin. My deepest coin was a large silver French 5 Frans at 10-10.5 inches and I pulled it using the stock coil at a rain drenched permission.

View attachment 1537006

I was looking at the Tornado coil but I liked the shape of this one a little better.
Also the Thunder and this Cannon coil came out after the Tornado so maybe they learned a few things and improved them with more depth.
Maybe not but nice to think this is a possibility.
A friend uses a Thunder coil on his AT Pro and now the new Max he recently upgraded to and he says it goes a bit deeper than his standard coil so I have no reason to believe this one won't at least work as well...hopefully even better would be nice.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not a mountain goat so I don't hit those kind if areas much but I might today.
I still don't need to get it flat even at these kind of sites but we will see.
If it is a problem I will change it.
Hehe. I found out the hard way with my NEL. I look forward to your finds and your experience with the new coil!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at the Tornado coil but I liked the shape of this one a little better.
Also the Thunder and this Cannon coil came out after the Tornado so maybe they learned a few things and improved them with more depth.
Maybe not but nice to think this is a possibility.
A friend uses a Thunder coil on his AT Pro and now the new Max he recently upgraded to and he says it goes a bit deeper than his standard coil so I have no reason to believe this one won't at least work as well...hopefully even better would be nice.

I love the Tornado so far. I did notice that coil you bought would cover more ground. If it's close in weight it would be better in the fields IMO.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a big coil! Should be a lot of fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions