Entry level, is an F75 too much detector?

BIGD.

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2018
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start off by saying I am interested in searching my property and surrounding areas for civil war relics as well as coins and jewelry. Recently my Australian shepherds have dug up some old nails and it has intrigued me to do a search around the immediate area where they have been digging. I had a super cheap detector 25 years ago that was entertainment but never found anything. On to my question, Is the F75 suitable or too much detector for a beginner? I don't mind spending the money, but I really don't know what to look at. Researching has provided me more headache than reward as there are a ridiculous number of detectors out there. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Bigd.

rusty nail.JPG

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it. If you want simple and you buy a new one, it is already set up for you as a turn on and go machine. The only decision you might want to make is the amount of discrimination you want. If it is a little chatty when you turn it on you can flip through the 7 frequencies to find a quiet one. It's definitely a machine you can grow into. I have swung one since late 2014 and have yet to use all the features.

If you are seriously thinking about getting one, I'd wait until the F75+ deal becomes available.

OP
OP
B

BIGD.

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2018
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, yeah the f75+ looks like a WAAAY better deal!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Let me start off by saying I am interested in searching my property and surrounding areas for civil war relics as well as coins and jewelry. Recently my Australian shepherds have dug up some old nails and it has intrigued me to do a search around the immediate area where they have been digging. I had a super cheap detector 25 years ago that was entertainment but never found anything. On to my question, Is the F75 suitable or too much detector for a beginner? I don't mind spending the money, but I really don't know what to look at. Researching has provided me more headache than reward as there are a ridiculous number of detectors out there. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Bigd.

View attachment 1547925

The F75 is a good machine. Like was said in a previous post if it gets a little chatty just lower the sensitivity or discrimination so it runs quite. Make sure to ground balance as well as possible and if possible stay away from power lines. If it does start running a little erratic you can try changing frequency as the F75 is little sensitive to outside interference.you'll get the hang of it in no time.Good luck and good hunting. Side note: You can go with the 4" sniper coil a little later to get better separation from unwanted targets.:thumb_up:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks,
Bigd.

View attachment 1547925
I have constantly upgraded my detector and the last one was an F75. The nice thing about the machine is that you can set it up with some "beginner" settings and detect your yard. The F75 is very adjustable and you can swing it for years before you fully master it. The F75+ deal is pretty awesome. It's the F75 plus their new pinpointer.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 was my second detector and i would have no problem recommending it to someone just starting out. I love mine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key is to decide on your BUDGET.

Contact the dealers that are SPONSORS here on T-Net Supporting Vendors

Talk over YOUR needs, area, soils, and what the dealer has available to you.

Ask about warranty, and after-sale service and help.

Stay with the Top Five: Minelab; Whites; Tesoro; Garrett; Fisher :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BIGD.

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2018
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received an email reply from Fisher Labs and he indicated the 75+ pkg would be available next week :thumbsup:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome machine. Easy to navigate/set up, very descriptive tones, great features even for an 11 year old platform, tons of coil options, super comfy to swing.

Just starting out with it I'd recommend sens at 50-70, 3 tones, PF process to keep EMI to a minimum while learning it. Many think you need to swing the F75 a million miles an hour to get good depth but if your spot is trashy you need to go slow! It will still punch down deep and unlock those goodies in between the iron.

Good luck!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I think it is. The last thing you want to do is get discouraged. An Ace 250 is a great beginner detector.

OP
OP
B

BIGD.

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2018
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is. The last thing you want to do is get discouraged. An Ace 250 is a great beginner detector.

1. Do you own this model?
2. please advise based on your opinion what is the downfall of this detector in the hands of an inexperienced user?

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Do you own this model?
2. please advise based on your opinion what is the downfall of this detector in the hands of an inexperienced user?

ace 250 will cause you to quit metal detecting

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ace 250 will cause you to quit metal detecting

^ This. In comparison to a F75....there is ZERO comparison.

Like stated by others...the F75 can take a person from beginner...to intermediate...to advanced.

The Ace 250 will keep you in the beginner bracket with little to no room for growth.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace 250 will keep you in the beginner bracket with little to no room for growth.

Honestly, if you are basically starting from scratch, you are going to have to learn a machine anyways, why not spend that time learning just one machine?? If you have the budget to buy the F75, you will have it for many years and you can spend all your time learning just one machine and all of its vast capabilities instead of leaving an entry level machine and then upgrading and relearning. There are many users in these forums to guide you to the best "beginner" settings.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 is one of the best balanced and intuitive detectors I have ever used. Great user interface and ergonomics. Great accessory coil selection too that will keep you swinging it confidently for years. And now the price is low enough that it even makes sense for a beginner who might not stick with the hobby long term to make the investment. Easy enough to be productive right out of the box, sophisticated enough to take you into a number of different metal detecting scenarios, including the relic hunting you want to start out with. It is not perfect, what detector is except the one that has not been released yet. Here are a couple of things to consider on the "cons" side, I don't consider them to be showstoppers: It is not a watertight design. You will need to take care of it in severe weather and you will not want to be using it where you risk dropping it in the water. It is a little long in the tooth, but still capable. But it's technology is a tad dated and that is causing it's price to continue to be suppressed. A good thing when seeking one out, not so good if you want to trade it in on a newer technology wonder like the newly released Minelab Equinox line. In fact, Equinox may be responsible for suppressing used and new detector prices across the board as Minelab has introduced a new detecting technology (Multi IQ) and all-around capable detector at a very affordable price point. The Equinox is a unicorn at present and will not be available to the masses until all the preorders have been filled over the next several weeks. Why am I talking about the Equinox here? Because I am getting an Equinox, selling a number of my old detectors as a result, but intend to still hang on to my F75, so I hope that tells you something.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of Luck to you in the choice of your new M.D.. Utu be, watch Utube videos on makes and models you are most interested in. A Great research tool.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want an Ace 250 set the F75 to a sens. Setting of 30 and you can try one with 100 times better recovery in the iron nails you want to hunt in.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the F75 - when in doubt do a full (factory) reset and start over. I do it after I have changed any settings when I next turn mine on so I don't accidentally leave it set for something unintentional.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread