F2 with cors scout coil

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my scout coil from cors today, and my thoughts so far are this.
Depth increased, not as much as i had hoped but better than the stock 8" concentric.
Separation is still to be determined.
Coverage is much better than before, however i noticed much more chatter, so much that i had to decrease sensitivity.

What are your thoughts, i was thinking it would go way deeper, to about a foot like the coil does on the garret 250 ace. Would it excel better on a machine with manual ground balance? Or is the f2 underpowered for it?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the cors 8.5 x 12.5 coil on my minelab explorer se and it stays on there , I love it- :icon_thumright:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to go deeper, buy a deeper detector. In addition to ground balance, the more expensive detectors have higher gain, just all around better electronics in them.

Seriously, been there, done that. I have an F2 and many other detectors. I have extra coils for all of them laying around. You can buy all the coils you want, the F2 or any other inexpensive detector will still be an inexpensive detector. Maybe you can add a couple of inches with a bigger coil but then you lose sensitivity with smaller targets.

If you combine the price of the F2 and say two new coils, you could have bought a detector that goes almost twice as deep. In addition the coil you just bought won't work on anything other than an F2 or an F4.

Btw, from the same company, I just picked up the Teknetics Liberator. Unbelievable for $219, the price of adding a couple of coils to the F2. Hits a silver quarter at 10-12 inches, a mens class ring at over a foot in my tests. I also have an F70 I paid over $600 for, the Teknetics Patriot is the same machine for $400.
jmho

But the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the trip.

:occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F2 that I swing on occasion, but mainly got it as a back-up/loaner. I am not a fan of concentric coils, and being a frugal guy I wanted a DD coil for it. I was not going to buy a new stock DD since I consider them expensive so I ended up buying a nel sharpshooter. Just know that the F2 runs at 5.9 khz which is a great frequency for coins, but will miss small items. I swung the F4 for about 6 months before buying my used F75LTD back in 2014 which runs at 13 khz. I thought of getting a large coil for the F4, but came to realize getting a more powerful machine would be a better use of my money. The processor is faster and more powerful and at 13 khz, it can find smaller targets deeper than the 5.9 khz platform. Putting a bigger aftermarket coil on the F2 is like installing some fat slicks on a VW. It looks cool, but does not give much more performance. Here in Ohio most of the soils are rich loam and not as mineralized as your NC soils. I do recommend you get a machine that can be ground balanced. Heck when I wanted to upgrade to the F75LTD they retailed for about a grand. I now see some F75s selling for as low as $350 and the new F75+ package is a great deal for the price. In my mind I would have saved the cash that you put out for the coil and sold the F2 to get a used F75. The 4" coil on the F2 may get 4 to 5 inches on a quarter where the F75 5" DD can hit a quarter at 8" easily. One of the things I liked about the upgrade was that the F75 Target ID scale is the same as the F2.

If you are really into the hobby you should get a higher end machine that runs at a higher freq. I consider the 13khz as the best overall KHZ since it is higher than the F2 and lower than the F19 & gold bug which runs at 19khz. Now if I was a primarily a jewelry hunter I would go with the 19khz machine. I am a coin shooter that appreciates some bling and cool relics.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go out back in your yard and take 4 quarters and bury one at 6" one at 8", another at 10" and finally the last one at 12". Now swing your coil over each one. Do this with both your coils and you will see what your true depth gain is for the new coil vs the stock coil. Also take note of the target ID numbers on each of the 4 targets. How much lower does target ID register on the 10" and 12" quarters?

OP
OP
Slowtaknow

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the scout came off. Back with the eight inch and now a back up/loaner.

OP
OP
Slowtaknow

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that last note, if i come across a f4 for dirt cheap, the coil would go on it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The F75 limited has dropped in price no doubt mainly because in my opinion because of the multi.freq machines coming out. But the F75 series is a good machine. I've found a lot of good targets with my 75 LTD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread