My Fisher F22 will not pick up IHP's in coin mode.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It will pick them up in artifact mode. It does pickup wheaties though. I wonder if there other detectors do this in coin mode?

It is acting perfectly.
Look at the table in late 16 of the manual online.
In coin mode zinc is in but the next level down, (#4, aluminum), is a bass tone...guess where the Indians are coming in?
If you are listening for an aluminum, zinc or higher tone in coin mode swinging over one of these you will be out of luck.
That area that says aluminum is just a general reference, the composition of the Indians come in here too and they ain't made of aluminum.
Any other programs like relic or jewelry the coin, all coins, will be noticed.
Wheaties come in high like copper cents and dimes so all modes pick them up.

Me, I used an F2 and rarely notched out anything but iron...take no chances, I say.
I might not dig everything all the time but I want to know about most everything I am swinging over so I can make that choice.
Found a ton of coins and a shocking amount of silver and gold jewelry with the thing hunting that way.

You need to learn about what metals come in where a little better.
look at the positions, this should give you a good idea.

Attachments

• photostudio_1550520009626.jpg
    photostudio_1550520009626.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1st coin I found with my F22 was an Indian. If your hunting in a spot that could produce old coins I would recommend using either jewelry or Artifact mode. The Jewelry is a little hotter IMO on coins or better yet Artifact mode in the iron and dig anything that jumps into the coin/gold range or better yet use your Mojave in the iron it will be way better at unmasking good targets.

I can't remember the VDI on Indians on the F22 but they have always been a little strange. (Other have documented this as well) It may hit in the zinc range or lower. I remember the few I found at an old site were right on the surface so It was pretty easy for me.

OP
OP
Mojave1

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1st coin I found with my F22 was an Indian. If your hunting in a spot that could produce old coins I would recommend using either jewelry or Artifact mode. The Jewelry is a little hotter IMO on coins or better yet Artifact mode in the iron and dig anything that jumps into the coin/gold range or better yet use your Mojave in the iron it will be way better at unmasking good targets.

I can't remember the VDI on Indians on the F22 but they have always been a little strange. (Other have documented this as well) It may hit in the zinc range or lower. I remember the few I found at an old site were right on the surface so It was pretty easy for me.

They are showing at 48-49 on F22

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The IH penny I found with my X-Terra 505 ID'ed as a zinc penny. Maybe coin mode notches out zincolns on the F22?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug a few Indians with my AT Pro and they ring up as Wheaties......sometimes the same as and sometimes one number less than copper pennies.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my F22 IHP's ring in anywhere in the 44 - 49 range. To get IHP's in coin mode just notch in target icon 4, which is notched out from the factory, while in coin mode.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't trust "modes" - even in my F-75. And none of the icons in any detector. They'd need a thousand different icons for all the buried bits in the soil. Hang around on the "What Is It?" forum to see what is out there.

The presets and modes adjust the parameters to respond to typical coin sizes, shapes, and compositions. Old bronze Flying-Eagle and IH Cents, small fractional silvers, and other non-standard coins are outside those parameters. I like to search with no mask or notch and just a hair of iron discrimination and see what the TDI says.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread