Why buy a Detector brand name coil vs. after market coil ?

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E2EF3288-A8F9-4828-9A49-D3C0ABA5EA02.jpeg I was doing some window shopping & ran across the 15” fisher coil it’s a pricy one.Just wondering why would someone purchase this over a after market.:dontknow:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used to think the manufacturers knew their machines better than anyone so they must make the best most optimum and tuned coils for their own products.
Then I got a Nel Sharpshooter and I was shocked...This thing was quality made and worked fantastically well, definitely as well as my Fisher sniper coil comparing all the good stuff, depth, sensitivity, recovery and separation.
I say as well but I mean in many areas maybe better.
The thing was way more stable and quieter with extra shielding they say they put in, which I believe.
If shielding makes such a noticeable difference I wonder why FTP can't do it for their coils and if they can, why don't they?

I got a Cors Cannon coil when I wanted a larger coil, that 15" Fisher wasn't even in the race when I chose.
Same deal, shielded better, light, capable...a better choice for me than that 15" Fisher and a lot less expensive.

Many Fisher and FTP coils are very popular and are a good value in price and great at what they do but this particular one isn't.
That coil you picked out to highlight here is actually an anomaly, it is a rare misfire in the FTP lineup...comparing it overall to the rest of the Fisher coil lineup isn't exactly fair and not representative of their entire class of coils.
Like saying Ford doesn't make good, popular cars and you drive out an Edsel to prove your point ignoring the Mustangs and other, better, products.

That 15" coil isn't cheap and it weighs a ton, so much so owners report their rods bending and maneuverability problems.
At Christmas in 2017 they gave them away in F75 packages so a few reviewed them, I don't think I have ever read a review from someone that actually bought one at regular retail.
They made them, they still have them, they might for awhile still but it seems to me they just made a ton and are stuck with piles of them so they will slowly sell them or give them away until they are gone and then start over and design a newer, better and more competitive big coil when that happens.
I don't think they are much in a hurry to do it, anyway....the revenue they receive from selling non standard or odd coils not included in packages is a teeny tiny drop in the bucket compared to everything else they make money on and they don't seem to be inclined to drop the price to clear them out, either.
They are big in the hobby side of metal detecting, sure, but I believe they make more money from their industrial products and night vision technology.
They are huge in the night vision business.

So to answer your question nobody in their right mind would buy that big coil at retail price if they had any common sense at all and spent just a little time researching.
Even discounted this coil is up against some heavy, big coil competition out there, price isn't the only consideration.
Most would conclude there are several better choices out there than this particular white elephant.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get the factory 15 coils for dirt cheap now but I wouldn't take one for free! Had one for about a month. Swung it twice and sold it off for a NEL Tornado and never looked back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread