Gold Bug 2 or Minelab Goldmonster 1000

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not even close - Goldmonster all day long!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Rick4570

Rick4570

Jun 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab 800 Equinox, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is that what you use Terry?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard good things about the Gold Bug, but haven't tried either. Is there a dealer you can test drive both machines? After numerous machine "mistakes", that's what I like to do.

OP
OP
Rick4570

Rick4570

Jun 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab 800 Equinox, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do either of you think of the nox 800 with the 6 inch coil for gold?

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick, take a look at the White's TDI its a pulse induction machine, or their new Goldmaster 24K both are dedicated gold machines.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what do either of you think of the nox 800 with the 6 inch coil for gold?

Great Machine! But if you want a dedicated nugget shooter, go with the Goldmonster

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick, take a look at the White's TDI its a pulse induction machine, or their new Goldmaster 24K both are dedicated gold machines.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

My advice and opinion? DON'T get either of these overpriced retreads. EVERY nuggetshooter I know has been disappointed by both.:skullflag:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but I heard the XP ORX is supposed to be good. Some guy in Australia you tube video said it will beat the GM 1000. I don't know.

Peter Buckles

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard 2 negatives about the mine lab 1000 if you want to call them that. I have not tested one, so I can't say if the information is correct.
1 It's top-heavy and falls over when you set it down.
2 It loses its GB if the coil stops moving.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have heard 2 negatives about the mine lab 1000 if you want to call them that. I have not tested one, so I can't say if the information is correct.
1 It's top-heavy and falls over when you set it down.
2 It loses its GB if the coil stops moving.
I actually just recently sold my GM 1000 (Gold Monster) for the very reasons you just mentioned, you have to stay on the ground balance constantly, if you raised the coil to high you had to re GB, if you sat it down to retrieve a target you had to re GB, it was very very top heavy every time you sat it down to retrieve a target if there was any slight slope it fell over a lot of times if it was on level ground it would fall over, and please do not take my comments as saying it was a bad nugget detector because it was not, it was very very hot on small gold nuggets there were just things that for me personally were very very frustrating
like I said I recently sold my GM 1000 because of the things I mentioned and replaced it with the Garrett 24K which I have four different coils for it, the 24K is just as hot, on small gold as the GM1000 in my opinion, the 24K has features and settings that the GM 1000 lacked, like a true threshold, and SAT (self adjusting threshold)
the GM 1000 is a silent search nugget detector which is the other reason I sold the GM 1000, i just never could get accustomed to the no threshold on the GM 1000
the one thing I did like about the GM 1000 is it did come with two coils and the Garrett 24K only came with one coil which is a 5 or 6 by 10 you can find the 6 inch round for the 24K
also the coils for the Whites GMX sport which is the same detector as the Garrett and Whites 24K except the GMX sport is submersible under water the 24K and GM 1000 are only rain proof to an extent
they made two coils for the GMX sport a 4x6 and a 6 inch round, there was a forth coil also which will work on the Garrett 24K, Whites 24K and GMX sport that coil is a 14x8
like I said I have all four coils for the Garrett 24K and Whites 24K and GMX sport the 4x6 and the 14x8 are like trying to locate a needle in a hay field but can be found with a lot of persistence and internet searches
all the things I have mentioned are reasons I like the 24K much much more than I did the GM 1000
the GM 1000 only has two coils available for use on the GM 1000 still to this date a 6 inch round and a 5x10 coil
the 24K has four coils available for use on it, having that ability to switch to that many different coil options make the 24K way more versatile than the GM1000 in my opinion.

hope this all helps in your decision

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread