F2 oddity?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I was out hunting today with my F2 in my backyard. There's a good deal of trash so I ramp up the discrimination all the way. I notice that I will sometimes hear the high pitch beep on the outer portion of my swing, whether it's to the far right or far left. But when I go back and check out it to figure out the exact spot, my F2 picks up nothing. I'll spend a few minutes scanning the area from multiple angles, but I can never repeat the high pitched beep.

What's going on (or what am I doing wrong)?

TrippinBilly

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice that sometimes on my F75 if I don't keep the coil parallel to the ground at the end of my swing, when I start rushing. Not sure if this is the same on the F2

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like more of a coil control issue than anything.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty new, so it very well could be a control issue. If it was, how does pointing my coil off to the side create false signals?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I'm pretty new, so it very well could be a control issue. If it was, how does pointing my coil off to the side create false signals?

You just need more experience, it will all make sense in time.

If your coil connector is not fully tight that could cause false signals on the end of your swing.
Don't kill it but I always tightened it up finger tight then used a pliers to give it one more tiny twist.
Also wrap the wire around the lower for all the way up, don't let it dangle loose near the coil.

Are you keeping your coil level at the end of your swing or do you sweep up a bit?
If you are lifting up and You have a lot of iron in your ground that lifting motion can be caused by iron falsing...little high tone tones here and there.
It can happen moving around areas with your coil flat too, but it happens more if you upsweep.
Now this is when you probably want to ask exactly why your detector will false on iron or even be affected by iron at all if you turned the discrimination up to get rid of it?

Life lesson...using disc means you are telling the detector you don't want to know about iron or the things you are discing out and nothing else...however the F2 still is still being affected by all metals within its range.

If the iron is big enough it will bleed right through your disc and squeak as a high tone.

It will affect and up-average targets near iron with the disc high or low, most Fishers do.

It will false near iron, small pieces in camp and moist soil, large pieces and even deep chunks if they are big enough.
Bigger pieces deep and not even under your coil can false too.

You are new so you can't tell get but there is a difference in those tones, the good ones you hear when you swing over targets and the slightly different weaker sounding iron falsing ones...I might say squeakier sound of iron falsing.
This skill comes in handy because as I remember my F2 falsed a lot in my mineralized, iron infested dirt.
This means all that time you spend searching for nothing is kinda wasteful but necessary as you learn and it doesn't take long to learn it.
Those falsing high tones don't repeat in the exact same place so another clue, close maybe but not exact.

Here is a vid I made about that bleed through iron stuff, listen for the high squeaks but I finally nailed it as iron.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread