Greenie
Jul 11, 2019
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75+ /w 11" DD & Magic 5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Been playing around with the new F75 as much as time allows and been curious about how you more experienced detectors use the detector coil to pinpoint. So...

1) Do you use the "pinpoint" function on the detector or do you use a different technique moving the coil around?

2) When you use the pinpoint function on the detector, WHERE is the object actually...right below the post or centered on the coil?

Thanks...

Grant

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I "X" the object while watching the ground under the coil and dig where the perpendicular swings intersect.

With the pinpoint feature I believe the target is just ahead of the post.

OP
OP
G

GrantT

Greenie
Jul 11, 2019
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75+ /w 11" DD & Magic 5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...so just so I understand, you sweep North/South (for lack of better terms) to center, and then turn 90 degrees and sweep East/West and where the intersection is should be the target?

I've seen some sweep across the target (left/right), and then either pull back or push forward the coil to the point where the sound stops.

Then there is the pinpointing function in the detector, which seems to be a bit erratic.

Does any method seem more accurate?

So, there is at least three ways to pinpoint with the coil...no wonder this hobby intrigues! Sorry for the remedial questions....never had a detector previously so I am sure what seems to some of you very simple concepts are still very new to me.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the same method as Charlie, it's just how I learned with a machine that did not have this option. I mainly use the pinpoint function to gage depth.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks...so just so I understand, you sweep North/South (for lack of better terms) to center, and then turn 90 degrees and sweep East/West and where the intersection is should be the target?

Yes. Look through the coil as it passes and keep your eyes focused on the ground. The pass from other directions and focus on the spot of ground where it beeps. You can practice with a coin on the surface. I also "X" while lifting the coil. Trash will usually break up and the TDI jump around while coins keep a smoother signal that just stops and the TDI keeps within a numbers. Gold chains and jewelry - they can also give jumpy signals.

Can't recommend highly enough that you bury a few coins and items in the yard (mark them with wood or plastic golf tees) and practice over them.

One of the best accessories I got for my F-75 was a Sunray FX-1 probe. It is like a 1" coil that uses the detectors' headphones and display. Sadly I think they stopped making them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread