Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ones for cz21 fit very tight - try to get one off is usually the prob for me - youll never get a long used one off
in one piece - i have worn thru more than a couple and had to replace - i hunt waters with lots of rocks (ones in fla. and carib. with lots of coral)
you need a coil cover or you will wear thru your actual coil in places like this - even just sand does a job on then if you hunt often
(I own 3 CZ21s)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you go to youtube and search
Casper metal detecting you will see some slide shows with finds made with CZ21s
Over last 6 yrs

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"CASPER", you just gave me a thought. Bear with me on this. In the construction industry, we would run beads of weld of a harder metal on
the "vulnerable for wear" surfaces of our excavating machine's buckets. (backhoes, front-end loaders etc.). It was known as "hard surfacing". This protected the "factory stock" buckets from wear.
I used to use White's PI 1000's for underwater work in the Carib & in ponds, lakes & The Atlantic Ocean around New England. Never had covers.
Yes, the coil could get beat up & be vulnerable to damage. Now, on my land & shallow water machines, White's 6000 D's & Di's, I did have coil covers but as an added precaution, I ran beads of "GE Silicone Seal" around the seam between the coil & the cover just to be sure no water or sand got in there. I also siliconed where the cord goes into the top of the coils as an added precaution.
Those machines are still usable to this day & the silicone is still stuck to the coil & cover as tight as a drum. This after 30 to 40 years.
I mentioned "GE" because I trust the brand & use their silicone seal for many things. I've even patched holes in car & truck mufflers with it & it works great even with the hot metal.
Now, I never tried doing this on the bottoms or perimeters on my PI 1000's coils, but I did silicone the crap out of the top of the coil where the cord meets the coil. Those machines go back to 1985 & the silicone is still stuck like it was put there yesterday. It will take an experiment and it wouldn't add significant weight & shouldn't interfere with the coils performance. I'm guessing that it might stick well to the coils of the newer machines also. It is something to consider trying on the perimeter & the bottom of the coil. A thin surface of silicone might be just as good as a cover, & if it wears over time, just fill in the gaps as needed with new silicone. Just something to ponder & maybe test on an older machine you have kicking around. At Home Depot a tube for a caulking gun is about 6 or 7 bucks. I've only land detected once in the last 18 months & haven't done any water work since 1998, but the silicone still looks good on all my machines.
Happy hunting & thanks for all your great posts. CHEERS !! J.T.G.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread