My CZ21

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
just a little info on My CZ21..iv had it for about 4 weeks now and used it about 15 times,all on the salt beach.it is just like my CZ20 but the pinpoint button is now a touch pad,not a "click" or hold in button.tap it and you are in pinpoint,tap it again and its back to normal.this is a very good improvement over the old button! the battery door gasket is not flat like the CZ20 or 1280X ,it has a ridge around it that fits in a grove on the batt door,makes for easy alignment.now for the performance...CZ21 w/8" coil.operation was easy,GB was a snap..then go! the salt sand was no problem even with sen set wide open..dry sand ,wet sand made no diff.you could go from one to the other and NO falsing! i think it is a very well made detector,as the 1280X and CZ20 were.the only problem i had was with the ID.it worked as it should on everything but heavily crusted pennies.about 1/2 of them would tone as pull tab/gold.it is good on depth,about 12" max on dimes.the deepest detector iv ever owned was a Sovereign GT with S12 Sun Ray coil..dimes @ 15" were common..but you just cant take it into the water and run the risk of dropping it or a wave take you off your feet.keep in mind,your location or beach results may very from beach to beach depending on conditions.over all if you liked the CZ20 you will love the CZ21 .hope you all find GOLD! DD

Attachments

• CZ21-2.jpg
    CZ21-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • CZ21-2.jpg
    CZ21-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 991

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Dixie digger.I have the cz-20 and really love it.I found a Spanish 1/2 reale at about 10 inches with it and have been real happy with it's depth capabilities.The pinpoint button hasn't worked on mine since soon after I got it but other than that she has been very good to me. I hope to get the 21 onea these days. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post on the CZ21 Dixie Digger.

Dan, as good as the CZ21 is, it can't find a gold ring under a piece of iron that is discriminated out like the Excal. Small point, but you'll see.

rande10700

Jan 20, 2008
Re: My CZ21 does not like wet sand

I have had a CZ20 for the last 5 years and love it. It is in for repair, but has been a workhorse. I bought the CZ21 recently and was very disappointed. I have had to return it for a new one twice. I am on my third. The CZ21 does not seem stable in water/wet sand. When using the CZ21 at the shoreline or in the water, it is very chattery when waves go by (when discrimination is in all metal mode.) It drives me crazy and I am probably missing faint targets due to the chatter. When trying to ground balance (in all metal mode) on wet sand, it immediately sounds off.

Also when on wet sand or in the water and when discrimination is on 1 or higher, you tend get false signals unless you lower sensitivity to 3 or 4 . This is similar to the CZ20, but a little more erratic. On dry sand, it works better and very similar to the CZ20.

I dont seem to be able to guess my targets as well as I did with the CZ20 and dont think this will improve much. I am digging more foil, bottle caps and pennies than I did with the CZ20.

I spoke to a Technician (Daniel 1-915-633-8354) at the First Texas repair lab and he said it should not be acting like this. He said he would look into this.

As much as I like and would recommend the CZ20, I would highly recommend not purchasing the CZ21 until they figure out what is wrong and fix it. I had high hopes for the CZ21 and if only it was just as good as the CZ20, I would have been OK with this but the CZ21 is a step backward. They took forever to release this model and I think it is still not ready.

The third machine is acting just like the first 2. I hunt in South Florida and there is no mineralization here, so this problem should not be happening.

If you have had a similar experience, please let me know.

OP
OP
Dixie Digger

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
sorry to here your problems.i do know the same detector will act crazy on one beach and fine on another.on my beach here in Ga i can run sensitivity wide open and no falsing from dry sand to waste deep in the water.i run GB on 5 and run in disc set on 1 so i dont here all the iron tones,sensitivity on 10.i have run in auto tune also and works fine.depth is about 12" on a dime .hope they get your problem fixed.the only time it went crazy was when i accidentally touched the pinpoint tap button,i thought i had a broken coil wire till i touched the button again and things were fine. DD

rande10700

Jan 20, 2008
Dixie

Have you tried to operate in auto tone (all metal) (in wet sand and water) and still have the same results? As this is when I have the problem.

Rick Anderson
South Florida Hunter

OP
OP
Dixie Digger

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
auto tune works fine on wet/dry sand but have not tried it in the water in auto tune..i always hunt in disc and i set it at 1 to take out iron tone and dig all the rest.the only advantage i see to use auto tune is the whole coil is activated instead of just the center.iv tried it both ways and see no loss in depth in disc,so why not run it there? but if you want iron relics i can see the need but just put disc on 0 and you will here the iron tone along with the rest.

rande10700

Jan 20, 2008
Dixie: Autotone will find targets deeper and what I do is to set it to autotone in areas that are not trashy and when I get a hit, turn it to 0 to see what type of target it is. I have had very good results in doing this, again in non trashy areas. If there is a lot of trash or iron, I too will set it to 1. I have also found that when you find a mid tone target on 1, I then go to 0 and flip the coil, sort of rotating your wrist and the target may change sounds. Any time your target changes sounds it usually is not a good target. I avoid digging a lot of penny's and bottle caps this way. You can try this and still dig the targets to see if it works for you.

Attached is a photo of some gold and platinum finds, one of which is a 6 1/2 gold chain and cross.

Rick from Sunrise

Attachments

• Jewelry (4).jpg
    Jewelry (4).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 958
OP
OP
Dixie Digger

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
good Lord! you could have found that chain with a Radio Shack Detector LOL.thats a whopper and nice collection.man you going to wear out that knob.

rande10700

Jan 20, 2008
Your right about the knob, that is why it is in for repair after 4 years of hard use. As far as the radio shack you are sort of right, if the radio shack worked under water it would have found it. New photo attachment is of a .6 oz platinum womans ring with 33 diamonds I found around 4 months ago in Miami. The chain and ring are my best two finds and both were found within the last 6 months. My best year yet. All the finds were with the CZ20. I dont think there will be another year as good as this. I am seeing so many hunters lately that pickins are really getting slim. But it is still a good day at the beach!

Attachments

• DSCF0096.jpg
    DSCF0096.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 937
OP
OP
Dixie Digger

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
totally awsome finds! my best was last year i found a womans 2C diamond dinner ring,with a Tiger Shark .wifey has the ring on now and it will not come off..(right).

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Makes me want to buy a water machine!!!

tautog69

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
CZ20-21
I had the same problem as Rande. I sent in my CZ20 (less then a year and a half old) in for a bad coil wire, and when I got it back, Fisher had transformed it into a CZ21. Before the transformation and repair it worked fine in the the surf wash ( I work in autotone and wear it on my hip), after as Rande said the noise was terrible. I sent it back and they were able to readjust the machine and it was a lot better.

Last week the coil wire went bad again,I think the wire is breaking or coming loose near where the wire goes into the unit. I talked to the tech and asked if all the movement from the wire swinging was the problem. He said it may be and suggested that I get one of those spring type wire covers to slow the movement. I had also heard that you could tape the first foot or so to the unit and stop the stress on the wire junction. Anyone else having this problem or have a different solution?

Although I have had these problems, I would like to point out that the personnel at Fisher are very friendly and have no problem answering your questions and helping you all they can.

OP
OP
Dixie Digger

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
i had a problem with my CZ5 coil wire comming unsoldered at the conector,caused by the swinging back and fourth as i hip mount every thing.the coil wire is plenty long enough that this shouldnt happen.but i did rout the wire back up the box and duct tape it to the box and had no problems.iv noticed a few times i drop the shaft and it jerks on the wire at the box,the tape took care of that.no more problems.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im thinking of buying a cz21 but I don't know now after reading these posts . Sounds like the Md still has a few bugs they need to work out .... Guzz1

OP
OP
Dixie Digger

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
iv owned over 30 Fisher's ,from the 520D TR to the last being a CZ5,CZ7,CZ20 and a CZ21.the only problem iv had was on the CZ5 coil wire came unsolder ed..that's it! in over 40 years iv never had to send one back for anything,that's not bad! the CZ21 i got Xmas works just like the CZ20 did.no problems in or out of the salt water.I'm sure you will have a few problems with ALL detector brands.and iv owned them all over the years.I'm not loyal to any brand as today i own a Sovereign GT,Tesoro Umax and a CZ21.i like each one for diff reasons.they all have there plus and minus.if you do your homework you can weed out the problem prone company's and there are a couple of them out there. DD

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently bought the CZ-21 and have no problems what so ever with it so far. It is just like using the CZ-20 I had only now I have the larger coil and love it.

Steve

Silver Dollar

Jun 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280, Ace 250, Compass Gold Scanner
I bought a cz21 a couple of months ago, the first time in the water it quite working. Sent it in, and Fisher repaired it. I don't think it is working like it should still. Dosen't seem to get the depth I thought it would. I was just in the back yard and dug a hole to 6 inches and it wouldn't pickup a quarter in it. I ground balanced it and had the senitivity up to 7. Couldn't even pickup a nickel at 4 inches, but my 1280 would. Any thoughts?

Thanks Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread