CZ3D

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Me too! I have a Tejon and a DFX and I was also looking at the CZ3d - to me it seems like a unique machine. Have you read this yet? http://www.thetreasureleague.com/CZ3D_Tips.htm

This is a very interesting read.

Based upon everything I've read, I still want to get one - some people seem to hate it - some love it - and the rest seem to be die hard CZ5 users and have no interest in the 3d. I've never used a Fisher before and want to try one out.

Ian

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided to get a CZ3D from Tom Dankowski. He's the guy who came up with the platform for the detector. He's going to insure that it's tuned and set up properly, so I should be getting a CZ-3D that's set and works the way Tom intended in his orginal design.

Thank all.

Ken

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt exclusively with a CZ3D, It takes a little getting used to...like any other detector.It should primarily be used where old coins are. though...and very little trash. In a relative new area....there is just too much chatter....But I am impressed with the depth...and the "solid, soft, round signal" that the machine makes when over a coin. Once you get the knack of it, i think that you will like it. But it should not be your only detector...Steve

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Cool, a perfect opportunity for me to ask a few questions also. :)
Lately, I've been debating between buying a used CZ-5 or 6, or getting a new CZ-3D.
Based on what I've been reading lately, I think I'm leaning towards the CZ-5 or 6, because I mainly coin-hunt on old properties that DO also have a good amount of trash on them, (unless I'm out in the woods), and I don't think I'd like the CZ-3D bringing up deep trash as a high tone.
Most of the time, I hunt with very low discrimination, and dig all those very faint, deep signals that I can pinpoint as being directly under my coil.
BTW, I LOVE the 8-inch spider coil, and can pinpoint perfectly with it.
So here's my questions.
Do the CZ-5, CZ-6, CZ-6A, and the CZ-3D all get about the same depth? Obviously, they're all of the same design.
Would I be better off with the CZ-5, 6, or 6A, since I'm going to be digging most of those deep whisper signals anyways?
Any advice from the expert CZ users would be greatly appreciated.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard King said:
Cool, a perfect opportunity for me to ask a few questions also. :)
Lately, I've been debating between buying a used CZ-5 or 6, or getting a new CZ-3D.
Based on what I've been reading lately, I think I'm leaning towards the CZ-5 or 6, because I mainly coin-hunt on old properties that DO also have a good amount of trash on them, (unless I'm out in the woods), and I don't think I'd like the CZ-3D bringing up deep trash as a high tone.
Most of the time, I hunt with very low discrimination, and dig all those very faint, deep signals that I can pinpoint as being directly under my coil.
BTW, I LOVE the 8-inch spider coil, and can pinpoint perfectly with it.
So here's my questions.
Do the CZ-5, CZ-6, CZ-6A, and the CZ-3D all get about the same depth? Obviously, they're all of the same design.
Would I be better off with the CZ-5, 6, or 6A, since I'm going to be digging most of those deep whisper signals anyways?
Any advice from the expert CZ users would be greatly appreciated.
I also have a CZ6A...If it was working now....I would probably use it more than my CZ3D. I have never used a CZ5 but I have read a lot of positive posts on that machine. I really believe that all of the CZ'S get about the same depth....Some just have more bells and whistles than others. If I were you I would be looking for a good used CZ5. They are a long proven dependable detector....Steve

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
steve - I have a couple of questions, if you have a second or two ;D -

My favorite place to hunt is this 10 acre park from 1870 that has been in use since then. There are lots of old deep coins about, but there is new aluminum trash down to 4 inches or so. Trash is not heavy in all areas, in fact, some areas have a pulltab only every three feet or so. So, would the CZ3d be your first choice there? You indicate that you exlusively hunt with the CZ3d, but that it shouldn't be your only detector. Do you mean that for trashy areas you should use something else? I've heard that you can just switch over to salt mode and it handles trash like any other CZ is this true in your experience? Is there any situation where you have a relatively trash free place with old coins where you WOULD NOT use the CZ3d and opt for a different detector?

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaginawIan said:
steve - I have a couple of questions, if you have a second or two ;D -

My favorite place to hunt is this 10 acre park from 1870 that has been in use since then. There are lots of old deep coins about, but there is new aluminum trash down to 4 inches or so. Trash is not heavy in all areas, in fact, some areas have a pulltab only every three feet or so. So, would the CZ3d be your first choice there? You indicate that you exlusively hunt with the CZ3d, but that it shouldn't be your only detector. Do you mean that for trashy areas you should use something else? I've heard that you can just switch over to salt mode and it handles trash like any other CZ is this true in your experience? Is there any situation where you have a relatively trash free place with old coins where you WOULD NOT use the CZ3d and opt for a different detector?
For trashy areas I would definitely use something else....Just because I dont like all of the noise....Now you can pinpoint and by checking the depth meter....only dig the deep signals....I wish that it would have a masking feature where you could bypass all targets in the first 5-6 inches. To be honest I have never used the detector in the salt mode. Another option is to use the smaller coil in trashy areas....I have found that the small coil gets good depth and you can get between the trash. If I had a place that was relatively free of trash and had old coins the CZ would be my first. choice...because I am comfortable with it.have hunted with others who use whites, and minelabs and we all find signals that are approximately at the same depth.....For me the Fisher is more user friendly than say the minelab.....I bought one when they first came out and I just did not have the patience it took to master the machine....And most of the guys around here in the club use Whites.....I am one ofthose that don't like to have what everyone else has....Fisher has been good to me over the years....I would be glad to answer anymore questions that you may have....Steve

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Steve.

I have a DFX also. But in all honesty, even with the DFX cranked up it isn't all that deep in my opinion. A coin at 7" is about max detectable target. From all I've read about the CZ-3D, it will id deeper target better
than some of the other high end machines. I tested a CZ-3D at a dealers in his test garden. Used my DFX, his CZ-3D and a EXP se. The CZ gave the best signal on the deepest targets. The DFX couldn't even find the Dime at 10" Expl gave an iffy sig, and the CZ was solid sig no doubter.

It sold me. Also, it was a clean test garden no trash, and I understand that about the CZ-3D. But I have old sites that are fairly clean to hunt. From my short experience it pulls the coins up from deep and lets you know that they're there. If you don't know you can't dig them.

One question Steve. On the volume. Do you leave it below five so you can hear the deep coin whispers, or turn it above five so everthing sounds loud?

Thanks, Ken

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kas said:
Thanks for the info, Steve.

I have a DFX also. But in all honesty, even with the DFX cranked up it isn't all that deep in my opinion. A coin at 7" is about max detectable target. From all I've read about the CZ-3D, it will id deeper target better
than some of the other high end machines. I tested a CZ-3D at a dealers in his test garden. Used my DFX, his CZ-3D and a EXP se. The CZ gave the best signal on the deepest targets. The DFX couldn't even find the Dime at 10" Expl gave an iffy sig, and the CZ was solid sig no doubter.

It sold me. Also, it was a clean test garden no trash, and I understand that about the CZ-3D. But I have old sites that are fairly clean to hunt. From my short experience it pulls the coins up from deep and lets you know that they're there. If you don't know you can't dig them.

One question Steve. On the volume. Do you leave it below five so you can hear the deep coin whispers, or turn it above five so everthing sounds loud?

Thanks, Ken
Ken....That is the one question that I struggle with.....I have bad hearing.....So I am used to listening for the weak signals.... Because of my hearing...I put the volume above five....and then i look at the meter for the depth of the object....I have to admit I miss the days that the whisper would speak to me...If I were you i would keep the volume down below five.... In my opinion the best trait of the fishers....is that that there are very few iffy signals...I dig the iffy ones anyway...and they are always trash.....You are asking all of the right questions....Steve

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ3D is very similar to the CZ5 and I have hundreds of hours on a CZ5 .It is an outstanding detector.Once you learn one well it is hard to beat. I switched to Tesoro mainly due to the weight but the CZ5 was the deepest machine I have ever owned. The 3D is sopposed to be engineered for older coins. The CZ5 did love iron though .I have dug many times a foot down for a fairly rusty nail. I have also dug deep coins with it. Great machine .

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I'm buying a CZ-3D from the guy that invented the platform, he sells them too, he is fine tuning it.

Anyone thinking of getting a Fisher should get one from him. He'll make sure that it works like it was intended, do to NO MORE LOS BANOS detectors, if you know what I mean. ;)

Ken

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kas said:
Since I'm buying a CZ-3D from the guy that invented the platform, he sells them too, he is fine tuning it.

Anyone thinking of getting a Fisher should get one from him. He'll make sure that it works like it was intended, do to NO MORE LOS BANOS detectors, if you know what I mean. ;)

Ken
I am curious what he will do to finetune it...Also ask him for his DVD...If he wants to sell it to you....Dont buy..I will loan you mine...Steve

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevesno said:
Kas said:

Ken
I am curious what he will do to finetune it...Also ask him for his DVD...If he wants to sell it to you....Dont buy..I will loan you mine...Steve

Already have the DVD, Steve. But thanks.

I don't know what he will do to make it work as he intended in his original design. The Los Banos Fishers were closest to his specs.

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've started hunting with my CZ3D, and I really like it.

By the way, a CZ3D in Salt mode is a CZ-5.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread