EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone get an F5 yet? I'm dying for reviews. Might get one. N/T

Ed, i bet in your hands it would be beond steller. I think it has everything your looking for.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

EZrider said:
Ed, i bet in your hands it would be beond steller. I think it has everything your looking for.
Hi Ezrider: It looks like this detector could be the cat's meow, dig? 8)

Your message just reminded me that I want to call Fisher and speak to someone about a couple of features that I deem important but the only large photo of the display found on some websites lacks clarity and I'm referring to the icon for a dime which the display doesn't seem to show. Fisher put too much emphasis on the lower targets when it should be concentrating on the coins that we usually find. Such as separation between pre-1982 cents and dimes as my old Teknetics Mark I Ltd was able to do.

I just passed on a Minelab X-Terra 70 at a great price 'cause something came up but I was leaning towards the F5 because of all of those knobs allowing flexibility plus the newness of digital electronics. It could turn out to the best of both worlds. I wonder what's holding it up since it was supposed to be released in March. Perhaps they're still working out the bugs, if any.

Good to hear from you man, take it EZ!

Edward

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ed, i took a look at it on Cabelas website "zoom feature". It has the zinc and dime mark. Although i understand what your saying about the pre 82s and dimes. Ill tell you this though. If the VID is on the money like my 75. The pre 82s will read 70-72 and dimes will read in the 75-80s depending on if its clad or silver. One thing i did or didnt notice is that if it is a single tone machine, much like the delta pitch on mine.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

EZrider said:
Ed, i took a look at it on Cabelas website "zoom feature". It has the zinc and dime mark. Although i understand what your saying about the pre 82s and dimes. Ill tell you this though. If the VID is on the money like my 75. The pre 82s will read 70-72 and dimes will read in the 75-80s depending on if its clad or silver. One thing i did or didnt notice is that if it is a single tone machine, much like the delta pitch on mine.
You're right, EZ, Cabela's is a clearer photo and the zoom is almost ideal except for some reason, after I zoomed the image, I tried to magnify it with my browser's magnifying feature which zooms from -50% to +400% but it wouldn't magnify the image further than Cabela's zoom!

Anyway, the controls were easier to read and I can't wait for a review of the thing. It does have the touchpad for TONES but I don't know what that triggers. And you're right again in that the VDI will eventually replace the need for identifying coins other than DIME, QUARTERS, and HALVES. I'm also happy to see a THRESHOLD knob as I used to a "reassuring" threshold on my Tek. The knob for GAIN is an unknown as GAIN usually applies to a preamp and I've read of settings for preamps in some detectors.

Anyway, all in all it might be worth the wait but I'm also being tugged at by a Teknetics Mark I on eBay and I'd hate to retrograde but even though it's from the 1980s, sligthly heavy and uses 14 AA batteries, it was one hell of a machine; I gotta be strong and maybe pass on it.

I called Fisher today but they're so arrogant that they've never answered my emails and they don't have an 800# although their industrial branches do. I called on my dime and had to leave a message for some guy to call me back but I doubt if he will. We'll see. My first question will be: "Is the DISCRIMINATION control on the F5 a REAL discrimination or will the machine continue to sound off on a coin after one rotates the control to max?" Let's see what the answer will be 'cause it would be a sin if the machine does not feature a REAL disc feature.

Edward

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So far from what i have gathered is that the F5 has diffrent tones. The discrimination is like that of the 75, it will go up to 65 "zinc". I don't know if its independent of the notch. I think its going to be one nice machine in the right hands. Although the F70 that just came out if going to kill it somewhat. I really don't see to much in the way of a review as the F5 has a small target audience. I wouldn't expect to get to much out of Fisher atm because of there transition and the fact dealers do not have this machine on stock yet.

mag

Jun 8, 2007

I'm too very interested in the F5 as a backup to my Tejon. Or who know, it may go the other way around...

EZrider said:
So far from what i have gathered is that the F5 has diffrent tones. The discrimination is like that of the 75, it will go up to 65 "zinc". I don't know if its independent of the notch. I think its going to be one nice machine in the right hands. Although the F70 that just came out if going to kill it somewhat. I really don't see to much in the way of a review as the F5 has a small target audience. I wouldn't expect to get to much out of Fisher atm because of there transition and the fact dealers do not have this machine on stock yet.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...

Silver Fox said:
EZrider said:
Hi Ezrider: It looks like this detector could be the cat's meow, dig? 8)

Your message just reminded me that I want to call Fisher and speak to someone about a couple of features that I deem important but the only large photo of the display found on some websites lacks clarity and I'm referring to the icon for a dime which the display doesn't seem to show. Fisher put too much emphasis on the lower targets when it should be concentrating on the coins that we usually find. Such as separation between pre-1982 cents and dimes as my old Teknetics Mark I Ltd was able to do.

I just passed on a Minelab X-Terra 70 at a great price 'cause something came up but I was leaning towards the F5 because of all of those knobs allowing flexibility plus the newness of digital electronics. It could turn out to the best of both worlds. I wonder what's holding it up since it was supposed to be released in March. Perhaps they're still working out the bugs, if any.

Good to hear from you man, take it EZ!

Edward

I got the F5 and have already logged about 30+ hours on it, and so far it's a great detector (already found two mercury dimes, five wheats, and one 14K gold ring, plus a pile of clad and a nice mission ear relic). It has an icon for dimes. See my review I just posted, it has a close-up of the display panel, which is excellent. The user interface is brilliant. It has four tone settings depending on what type of hunting you do. It also has four user selectable tone settings in all-metal mode.

HH,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread