The F-75 Trashy Areas and Digging Bouncing Signals=Good Results!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing allot of experimentation with the F-75 in trashy areas, and I am getting some nice results. The last two or three weeks I have been paying particular attention to signals that give low number response on the initial swing and then a coin type signal on the back swing or visa versa. For example on the initial swing I get a low 20's and on the return swing I get a 75. This type of signal I Will dig, and I will probably pull out a piece of foil and then a silver dime within a couple of inches of it.

I have been digging these types of signals and am consistently rewarded. One reward was a mint 1916-S Barber a couple of days ago and today I dug a mint 1917-D Mercury dime, which I will be soon posting in Today's Finds. Pulling two 100. +/- dollar coins in one week is pretty good, and doing it in trash is even better. On top of this I have dug several Indian Head cents, lots of wheaties and some other silver, all using this technique. You will also dig more pocket spills.

One important thing to remember is if you are used to turning 90 degrees to your target and rescanning this technique is not going to work as well, this is because of the way the coil is designed and you will either get a solid trash or solid coin signal depending on which is bigger.

FYI I am using only the stock coil, sensitivity 50-65, Disc 15, notch 1, DE mode, ground 68, Tones 3H. Now these are results I am getting in Ohio soil, yours may differ. I hope others will try this method and report back, hopefully with good success.

Good Hunting!
Steve

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats because any other detector will "null" over the target. This is were the 75 shines. Most of my good finds were mixed with other targets. The trash seperation of the stock coil is supurb.

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZrider said:
Thats because any other detector will "null" over the target. This is were the 75 shines. Most of my good finds were mixed with other targets. The trash seperation of the stock coil is supurb.

You are exactly right, and every time I go out the F-75 continues to amaze me!

Steve

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utah hunter said:
What is the strategy on "notch 1" for a setting?

I will have to get back to you on that, I honestly don't remember :icon_scratch: , I read it somewhere and it works for me. I will let you know when I find it again.

Steve

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve,
Denny Morrison here or Ringfinder on Treasure Net. I also have a F75 and am trying to get used to it. I have been hunting all year with mine, as I got it in February and started hunting with it in April as soon as the weather got ok to get out.

I live near Lima, Ohio. Just wondered if we could meet sometime and you could give me some pointers on the F75.

I have found some pretty good finds with my detector this year. I think I have over 25 silver dimes already, 2 walking half dollars, a bunch of wheaties and some silver quarters. I've also dug some jewelry, rings and bracelets. I think I've dug 7 or 8 knives also.

I guess my problem is, I'm going to Diggin in Va. In October to hunt a Civil War site and have to get used to hunting in all metal. I tried it the other day and it worked ok, but man was it noisy. I did turn down the sensitivity and the seemed to help some. I was still able to figure out the good signals from the bad.

Be fun to come up to Sandusky and hunt with you and you could show me some things I'm doing wrong.

Best Regards,
Denny Morrison
Ringfinder

P.S. Any of you have any info for me, I'd appreciate it.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are right a silent detector is a detector not getting the full depth, when I get a deep bouncy signal I did it to at least see what a stable reading is. I have 7 detectors right now and I am testing them all and will give a depth and use report on them all. I can tell you I can pick up signals with the F75 that the others don't respond to at all. All the talk about instability is bunk, they try to run the sens at wide open and expect the detector to be stable. I can tell you I have run mine down to 60 and still dig 10" deep coins. Look for more post on the F2, F5, F75, 1266x, whites DFX 300, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Nautilus DMCIIBa, as soon as I get all the results I will post.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
ReidMan said:
You are right a silent detector is a detector not getting the full depth, when I get a deep bouncy signal I did it to at least see what a stable reading is. I have 7 detectors right now and I am testing them all and will give a depth and use report on them all. I can tell you I can pick up signals with the F75 that the others don't respond to at all. All the talk about instability is bunk, they try to run the sens at wide open and expect the detector to be stable. I can tell you I have run mine down to 60 and still dig 10" deep coins. Look for more post on the F2, F5, F75, 1266x, whites DFX 300, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Nautilus DMCIIBa, as soon as I get all the results I will post.
Well, ReidMan I can tell you that all the talk about F-75 instability is NOT bunk! Granted there are some folks who think that the only way to run a machine is wide open, however I am not one of them, nor do I believe that the majority of people having trouble with this machine are prone to do that, in fact. I have no reason to doubt that you have a good, workable machine, but as for my own, (and quite a few others, i.e. please read BamaBill's thread entitled Gave Up On F-75, if you haven't already, posted nine posts below the one you replied to) and many others with years of experience in this sport, when you can't turn the '75 on in town, EVEN with the sens. set on 20, without CONSTANT flutter of the display, ( even when setting on the ground, not moving at all!) then the machine is worthless to us. I really believe that there are several design flaws, and no doubt that under the right temp, humidity, soil and electrical surroundings I'm sure they operate correctly. Mine does not!! And also I noticed that you work for a computer company, now you didn't mention if that was sales, service, design ect. but check out how many people who own a '75 DO have experience in that area and STILL have problems! Now, you stated that "I can tell you I have run mine down to 60 and still dig 10" deep coins." I don't doubt it at all! What I, along with the others are trying to say is, why make a machine that doesn't function correctly in the upper spectrum of it's ability (nearly HALF of it's ability) anywhere? Please take this in the perspective that it is intended, that is, not everyone who has problems are being unreasonable with their complaints. Best Regards, and great hunting! skypilot02, Richard Self, Tellico Plains TN.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldiver said:
I have been doing allot of experimentation with the F-75 in trashy areas, and I am getting some nice results. The last two or three weeks I have been paying particular attention to signals that give low number response on the initial swing and then a coin type signal on the back swing or visa versa. For example on the initial swing I get a low 20's and on the return swing I get a 75. This type of signal I Will dig, and I will probably pull out a piece of foil and then a silver dime within a couple of inches of it.

I have been digging these types of signals and am consistently rewarded. One reward was a mint 1916-S Barber a couple of days ago and today I dug a mint 1917-D Mercury dime, which I will be soon posting in Today's Finds. Pulling two 100. +/- dollar coins in one week is pretty good, and doing it in trash is even better. On top of this I have dug several Indian Head cents, lots of wheaties and some other silver, all using this technique. You will also dig more pocket spills.

One important thing to remember is if you are used to turning 90 degrees to your target and rescanning this technique is not going to work as well, this is because of the way the coil is designed and you will either get a solid trash or solid coin signal depending on which is bigger.

FYI I am using only the stock coil, sensitivity 50-65, Disc 15, notch 1, DE mode, ground 68, Tones 3H. Now these are results I am getting in Ohio soil, yours may differ. I hope others will try this method and report back, hopefully with good success.

Good Hunting!
Steve

I know you payed way more for your F75 then I did for my F2 but it does the the same thing in trashy areas. It will try to I.D. both objects with the larger object or object closer to the surface being given the greater priority. I've dug a lot of coins with trash in the same hole. Nothing at 10", the deepest for me was a nickle and dime at 5".

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever dug one of those signals that read 16, 18, 19, 20, 25, 37, 41, 44, 56, 58, 64, 67,68, 70, 74, 77 and 94 in one direction and then 58, 64, 67, 68, 71, 74, 76, 77, 82, 88, 89, 91, 92, 94 in the other? (which most signals seem to do) :icon_scratch:......... :-\

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
BottleBum, great to talk to you! Good question and I can honestly answer yes. I'm quite sure several of the others have done so also, my own "strategy" so to speak, is to dig the first 15-20 signals I get when first searching an area. You wouldn't believe the difference there is in any two areas! I've dug a 1918 Merc, plain old coin but in pretty good shape, that usually would have read between 79-82 on my Spectrum XLT at an old homeplace here in East Tennessee, BUT when I checked this signal, the VDI read a CONSISTANT 20-30!! And this was at like 2.5-3.5 inches and I found no trash around it! Now, I know there are some places that it just isn't feasible to dig that many "mystery" holes, (i.e. lawns, parks, school yards ect.) even though our digging will look untouched later it still freaks people out to see so much of it!! But seriously, if you haven't tried this (you probably have!) then I'm sure you'll be amazed at what comes at you under the guise of a 16-50 signal on your '75! BTW, great tip about the bottlecaps! Worked on my '70 with similar results, of course the machines have lots in common! Good Luck and Great Hunting!! Regards, skypilot02 (Richard)

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skypilot, I would never have thought I could find silver with readings like those. ???
I'm going to have to rethink this F75. Why the inconsistancies? How is a person ever supposed to learn the machine when like-targets can vary so much in their readings?
:(

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottlebum said:
Skypilot, I would never have thought I could find silver with readings like those. ???
I'm going to have to rethink this F75. Why the inconsistancies? How is a person ever supposed to learn the machine when like-targets can vary so much in their readings?

I have noticed in my soil some of the coins laying at an angle will produce the lower numbers. During my experimentation I noticed this. I also found that a good indicator that they were on an angle is when they pinpoint toward the rear of the coil.

Steve

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
bottlebum said:

In areas with little trash, which are usually newer areas, the F75 is right on in my experience. When you are in older areas, which will naturally have more trash, signals can be more iffy. The old rule was if you get a good repeatable signal from every direction to dig. Now, unless you find a truly virgin site, most good targets that are left are only still there because they gave a jumpy or non-repeatable signal. It is the detectorists who recognize and take the time to dig iffy signals that have a chance of being good that have the best finds over time. You may be able to beat them for a single hunt, but they will outhunt you over time.

Just my opinion....

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldiver said:
bottlebum said:

I have noticed in my soil some of the coins laying at an angle will produce the lower numbers. During my experimentation I noticed this. I also found that a good indicator that they were on an angle is when they pinpoint toward the rear of the coil.

Steve
The plot thickens....... :icon_scratch: how is one supposed to know if a coin is pinpointing at the rear of the coil when the coin is not visible and the sweet spot is in the center of the coil?

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utah hunter said:
bottlebum said:

In areas with little trash, which are usually newer areas, the F75 is right on in my experience. When you are in older areas, which will naturally have more trash, signals can be more iffy. The old rule was if you get a good repeatable signal from every direction to dig. Now, unless you find a truly virgin site, most good targets that are left are only still there because they gave a jumpy or non-repeatable signal. It is the detectorists who recognize and take the time to dig iffy signals that have a chance of being good that have the best finds over time. You may be able to beat them for a single hunt, but they will outhunt you over time.

Just my opinion....
I agree with you Utah Hunter. I am one of those that goes for the iffy signals too but i'm used to using a Sovereign, and with it, I am at least able to work a signal to the point where it comes close to being the signal of the intended target such as a coin.
I'm not knocking the F75, it just seems like the machine is affected too much by variables ie; the high conductor target (coin) reading as an low conductor (foil) because of it being on edge. This in turn, makes the machine not too user friendly IMO
bottlebum

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
BottleBum, great to hear from you! I'll tell you that it doesn't happen to me everyday either, but sometimes those sorry signals produce! I know that there are many variables and it is highly doubtful that any two searches are the same, even in the same area on different days. In my opinion, it is like finding an Indian head penny at 3 inches and a memorial penny within 2 feet of the Indian at 5 inches. I'm sure you have had this experience in undisturbed soil, it just defies logic! As for the '75 it has some complications and in fact I'm experimenting on mine now to see if they can be solved. Thanks for answering, great hunting and good luck!! Regards, skypilot02, (Richard).

OP
OP
Goldiver

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottlebum said:
Goldiver said:
bottlebum said:

Steve
The plot thickens....... :icon_scratch: how is one supposed to know if a coin is pinpointing at the rear of the coil when the coin is not visible and the sweet spot is in the center of the coil?

Wow, :icon_scratch: ? I didn't think it would be difficult to understand. I am just trying to be helpful to those who want to be helped by what I have experienced in the field.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Goldiver, Oh, man! I sure wasn't trying to bash your findings none in the least! I think it's great how you've been working your '75 and I applaud your knowledge and techniches. All my point was in answer to Bottlebum's question was that sorry signals can produce good results! I am sorry if I in anyway offended you, as my intention is the same as yours, that is, to learn all I can and help anyone with what little knowledge I may have. That is why I disassembled my '75, only in the intrest of trying to resolve some issues that plague a lot of us with this machine! Once again, no offence intended, great hunting and good luck! Regards skypilot02 (Richard).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread