Fisher warranties and customer service

tdefew

Aug 20, 2008
Hello all, After reading the post about Fisher's decline in customer service, and the warranties from machines purchased prior to the First Texas takeover. I decided that I would contact Fisher and find out the truth about these matter's. I sent two separate e-mails to Fisher. The first e-mail that I sent was a request for information on how I could obtain a replacement nylon nut. The one that holds the coil to the pole on my 1266X broke. I sent my message on a Saturday after hours. By 1:30 PM the following Monday, I received a response from Fisher stating that the nut that I need is being shipped to me that day, free of charge. Not to bad huh!! In my opinion the customer service seems to be pretty darn good.
The second e-mail that I sent was enquiring about the warranties on machines purchased prior to the takeover by First Texas. I suggested that a Fisher rep. take a look at this forum so that they could see how loyal Fisher owners where very upset over the warrantied being void, including myself. In regards to this e-mail. I received an e-mail the very next work day from Bobby Morgan of Fisher. Mr. Morgan stated the following, "Please do not believe the mess these folks are saying. Lifetime warranty with Fisher is LIFETIME. No if, ands or buts. The company was bought out by First Texas, but that's just a larger name above the Fisher name. It does not mean that Fisher is First Texas Products or vice versa. Fisher works separately from Bounty Hunter. The third company under First Texas is Night Owl Optics. If you have valid proof of the warranty, then it is honored". This is the actual response that I received from Fisher, I pasted this from the original message. As you can see, the lifetime warranties are still in effect. My request for replacement parts was answered quick and the part that I needed was shipped to me free of charge. So, in my opinion the Fisher concerns may not be as bad as they seem. I hope that this answers some of your questions. I am a retired police officer, not a Fisher or First Texas employee. I have no ties to them other than I own a 1266 and a 1270. I hope this helps.
Happy hunting and good luck,
T.D.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is good news for all us Fisher users that have the older detectors. I have five of them myself. Many that have trouble now with detectors tell everyone so nobody else gets screwed. If service is so good, I wonder why repairs cost an arm and a leg now when they used to be done for free. Sure you can get a nylon bolt, but try to get a a stem or shaft replacement on a CZ20 because of a broken handle. Maybe things have improved......

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Okay time for some fun.

It's Bobbie and She is Fisher Labs Customer Service Manager. First Quote:

"I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Bobbie Morgan, Fisher Labs Customer Service Manager. I've decided to take the initiative into following what's going on. What's the "hype," the jazz, the gossip and first and foremost, the questions and interests. I'm no guru, but I can give answers and help to the best of my knowledge. If I don't have the knowledge, I'll get it and will be more than happy to assist any of you. I'm open for "bashing," comments, suggestions and whatever else it may be that you all would like to share. I want to do my best to experience the consumer background that is out there and approach that experience not just at a severe professional level, but also a more lax level. Please, we're here and listening. Take advantage of it."

This quote is of another Forum that Fisher is monitoring. After how long of customers complaining did it take to start monitoring this one and force a showdown with Fisher Labs? Fisher Labs dicided to do some damage control.

Lifetime warranty:

Here is the original released statement shortly after we aquired Fisher Labs.

Mike Scott
Director of Hobby Sales
Fisher Research Labs

May 22, 2006

Dear Metal Detector Enthusiast,

As the new Fisher management team, we are dedicated to committing the resources and expertise necessary to support and grow your Fisher metal detector business.

In the upcoming months we will be laying out a new Fisher line-up for sale late this fall along with plans for some very exciting technologies that we will be unleashing in 2007.

While committing to this new investment, we also find it necessary to adjust certain aspects of the current Fisher program — namely, the lifetime warranty.

Beginning July 3, 2006, we will no longer offer the current lifetime warranty. We will replace that warranty with a 5 year warranty on all hobby products excepting the underwater units. Underwater units will carry a two year warranty. Any detector sold with the current lifetime warranty will, of course, continue to be honored. All detectors carrying a lifetime warranty currently warehoused in Los Banos, or stocked with distributors, will be honored as well.

NOTE:
Currently Fisher has a two year free warranty. After the two years a charge of $25.00 per repair, is applied every time the product is sent in for repair – this is Fisher’s lifetime warranty.
The new warranty will be for five years. At the end of five years a purchased lifetime warranty will be available

Again, thank you for your continued support of Fisher products and we look forward to serving your needs with new products, new prices and new resources. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions or needs going forward.

Regards,

Tom Walsh
President
Fisher Research Labs

Tim Mallory
VP Sales and Marketing
Fisher Research Labs

It comes off the same forum as above but here is the catch.

"We only ask for a proof of purchase if the unit has not been registered and a valid warranty card cannot be provided."

Do you still have a receipt after owning something for 20 years?

Stand by more to come:

"If we stock parts for something we don't get many requests for, then it's collecting dust and the larger decision is to discontinue that item"

"So lifetime may not mean lifetime once parts run out." This also applies to getting parts for older Fisher's

There is more and Fisher Labs is trying to start some damage control, at least on one forum. The real question is it too little too late. Yes. They should be on every forum, but it not going to happen. They should want to keep the old time customers. They should want to fix the problems and perceptions of the new machines they are putting out, so they keep the new customers. Bottom line I think they are overwhelmed and don't really know how to stop the downward spiral.

I will leave this post with one suggestion and that if Fisher Labs want to solve their problems, they need to hire a PR staff maned by loyal Fisher Lab users, that will be on all metal detecting forums, with the power to make or get approved what is best to move the company farwards and restore it good name.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said and nice post!

One of the best ways to help the company put out all these fires is to make products that don't have to be sent back as soon as the customer opens the box. Guys and gals now tell everyone about the troubles they have with any detector. Companies can not ignore the spreading of information on the internet.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with that Old Gal--the 1266! If they've run out of parts, they WILL replace the original Fisher parts with BH parts. Just a word of advice... Go ahead and pay for the repair and send it to Keith instead.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Sandman said:
This is good news for all us Fisher users that have the older detectors. I have five of them myself. Many that have trouble now with detectors tell everyone so nobody else gets screwed. If service is so good, I wonder why repairs cost an arm and a leg now when they used to be done for free. Sure you can get a nylon bolt, but try to get a a stem or shaft replacement on a CZ20 because of a broken handle. Maybe things have improved......

Sandman,

I only posted some of what was said by Fishers Labs reps on the other forum.
My Thoughts not so much hard facts:
Fisher Labs is being controlled by a group (First Texas) who main objective is to make money. I do not hold that against them. Fisher Labs was in trouble or else they would have not been taken over.How much trouble we will never know. So the question is what did First Texas have coming into this from the old Fisher Labs? And how much was the Old Fisher Labs making or losing before the buyout? Last how much was lost due to poor management while closing down the Fisher Labs plant in CA? I heard that the Fisher museum was thrown away, how much more was either thrown away or trashed due to disgruntled employees?

This set up where First Texas come in and demands a profit be made So the new Fisher Labs management finds itself all ready in the hole with the move to Texas and all. So they get new detectors designed and finds the cheapest manufacturing means available. Nothing is wrong with this a long as high quality controls are in place and enforced, but they were not in the rust to start making money. Now supporting the old Fisher Labs customers cost money and they them selfs are trying to get out of the red decided to gamble and cut customer service to the old customers.

That gamble and the lack of quality control is costing them dearly. They underestimated the customer base and was taken by surprise about the bad rep they are now gaining and the lack of sales. Hince the mad rush to start some type of damage control. I get the impression they are overwhelmed and and unable to think of a balance between them making a profit and the decreasing customer base due to their earlier decisions to allow for low quality control with a get them out the door mentality and forgetting about a well established customer base. They are learning they can't Run it like Bounty Hunter. Throw away detectors. However this will not work as a company needs repeat customers, especially at the price they wish to charge for the Fisher Labs brand.

So whats a company to do? With a constant pounding they will change or die which will be a shame with company with such big ideas and detectors that will move all detecting forward.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I have a GB 2 that I bought used and it stopped working and took it to the "new" Fisher (I live one mile from First TX). They fixed it at a reasonable cost. I also have a T2 which I broke the control head off the handle. I sent it in with a check for $54 to have the software upgrade (V5-V6) done and said I would pay for the other repairs when I picked it up. When I picked it up they handed me a box and said have a nice day. When I got home and put my T2 back together they did more than a software update. New control box, new weatherproofing, and a brand new coil! (my coil was very dirty). No company is perfect, but I hate seeing these guys getting beat-up all the time. They have been outstanding to me. These days with changing technology, who cares about a lifetime warranty? We are going to get the lattest and greatest every 2 years anyway. Although the GB 2 still rocks for the price. Anyway this is just my opinion. Things change, after all Budwiser just got bought out, but I still drink it. Take care, find gold, and don't get mad. Life is too short.
Chuck

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 / Tesoros Deleon & Sand Shark
The lifetime warranty is fine and dandy if you are the original registered owner. :thumbsup: Just send in a CZ-20 for repair and you will see every extra thing they find wrong with it that needs to be done. ??? Then the quote that they give you for repair of your detector will subsidize all the other ones that are under warranty. >:(

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
??? ??? :....Well for me untill Fisher get's on the right track if i had a Fisher i would not send it to them for repairs. I would send it to East Texas .....For every good thing i hear about there Fisher service i hear five bad stories...........I am looking for a good used Fisher right now but not one they made after they sold out...a older one i dont want any of thier new detectors to many horror stories ......then the one about the $400.00 repair.......And after i find one it will not go to Fisher for repairs it will go to East Texas.............................................Jim

night0wl

Greenie
Dec 6, 2007
I called Fisher concerning some issues with an f2 that was less then a year old. I was told I would need some sort of return number from the rep. He said he was busy and would call me back. Took my phone number and I have not heard from them since.........Tesoro is starting to look good!

Hodge

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
It's just like any thing you hear about in the news "dirty laundry" sells. People who are upset are more likely to post a topic, than a satisfied customer. Every time I've e-mailed, or called them I've had no problem. The engineer who has worked for and desingned a large number of detectors is with 1st TX (Dave Johnson). Maybe some people are unreasonable in their expectations and think they are the "only customer" in the world. Work with them and I think they will work with you - my 2 cents. (non-wheat, zinc)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Sandman said:
Well said and nice post!

One of the best ways to help the company put out all these fires is to make products that don't have to be sent back as soon as the customer opens the box.

this is the problem with sending the manufacturing to China. China can build things cheaply but they do not have attention to detail, and fit and finish means nothing to them. i work for a company that has sent some of the product lines to China and i can tell you from intimate experience that the quality is terrible. we actually have to have all of the product shipped to us first, unpackaged and reworked before it is fit to be sold. as long as First Texas chooses to build their detectors in China, or until China brings their standards on line with the rest of the world of manufacturing (whichever comes first) i wont buy from them..........also a side note, not all companies are sold because they are in trouble. I dont know if Fisher was in the toilet or not but i never heard that they were. Minelab just was bought out for crying out loud and they most certainly are not in trouble. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions