Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the old 3 Stooges gag when Moe slapped Larry? Larry turned around and slapped Curly. Curly turned around and there was no one to slap, so he says, "Oh, low man again!"

That's us. Legislation is all about money, big money. We don't have any. At least speaking for myself. There's really no money in this hobby.

Here's why the state won't let anyone hunt, but they will destroy a site:

The archaeologists have more mojo than us, but they are way lower than the developers, who can destroy anything, and do.

All we really have is an ability to organize and make friends. We need to do both.

This weekend I offered the Sheriff my new Infinium if he needs it. So he says, "Even at 3 AM?" I said, "Yup, just call." They have their own dive team, just no Infinium.

Just think if there were 20 of us at his beck and call. That's a powerful friend, and lots of good will.

And so on..............

GulfSun

Greenie
Jun 30, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident Hybrid
Hey i'm new to this site. But if you ask me, this nothing more than a way for the archaelogists to get more funding. After all archaeologists are nothing more than glorified grave robbers. Look at the stuff in the museums a good deal of it had to come from grave robbing. I love archaeology, but seriously, they have too much power in preserving the past.

But if you think about it, then the whole world would need preserved. Every step you take on land was once stepped on by the past peoples. However, in the matter of preserving the past they tell us we cannot MD anywhere, but we do less harm to land than bulldozers, litterers etc. It's all about control for these people. The more they ban MDing. The more people will need anti-depressants because they loose their favorite hobby.

pirimid

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
South Florida
Detector(s) used
1-White's Dual Field
2-Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
3-Garrett Ace 350
4-Garrett GtI 1500-(Currently Use)
5-Garrett AT Pro
6-Minelab Explorer SE (Currently Use)
7-Fisher Gold Bug (Currently Use)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats just another reason why I hate south Florida. Ive lived here 31yrs. and its dif. not getting better. The people up there in Tallahasee are just goofballs. How can you possibly want to ban metal detecting, whether in the ocean or on land. thats just ridiculous.

James...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are some that don't care weather its legal or not.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:
There are some that don't care weather its legal or not.

Very true. And A lot of them That have been doing it for years With quiet respect For the people around them both past and present have been quietly and courteously enjoying their hobby... not creating waves.. or drawing attention to themselves.. or leaving evidence that they were there in the first place those folks will often quietly continue to do what they do most likely with no problems. I'm not saying go out and break the law... I'm just saying I don't understand why some people insist on creating a situation that puts themselves and others under a magnifying glass. that's how new laws are created and that never adds freedom to anything.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gator-boy, it's the old addage of "... sometimes no one cares ... UNTIL you ask". I mean, it would be like asking "can I spit on the sidewalk in New York?". Some lawyer or bureaucrat might find some old law to tell you "no you can't". But honestly tell me: If you just spit on the sidewalk in NY, did anyone really care less? No, of course not.

So sometimes metal detecting, I hate to say, is a little like nose-picking: Sometimes you have to be a little discreet. If there are some people who will take exception, well then fine. Avoid *just* those people. There are connotations of our hobby that are just un-avoidable (that you might find something old, or that you might leave a hole, etc....). So my solution is just to avoid such busy-bodies. Because to think otherwise (that I can somehow make everyone "love" me, or like me and change minutia to suit my fitting), is folly. If this really bothers someone that much, that there is not neon signs that say: "metal detecting welcome here", then I fear they have chosen the wrong hobby.

Last edited:

Whirlwind

Dec 13, 2012
South Floriduh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so how about those shoes that are actually metal detectors? "just wading in the water, sir!"

Floriduh rules: Just do it until you get caught. then claim ignorance or that you dont speak the language or that God said it was OK ;) works for developers, politicians and maybe treasure hunters.

Ww

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will stop metal detecting when i stop breathing.

Attachments

• 1249579513_bullet-on-a-wall.gif
    1249579513_bullet-on-a-wall.gif
    977.1 KB · Views: 379

bigdisco00

Jan 23, 2014
Miami
Detector(s) used
Garret gti 2500 with eagle eye. Diver detector soon to come!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I'm starting a campaign to protest

big-disco00, read the entire thread. I believe you'd be protesting something that is "dead". It never came to pass. This is an old post, and old bill that never progressed, etc... And by sending in protests, or seeking clarifications, or trying to pre-empt things possible for the future, you may actually end up doing more harm, than good.

By that I mean this: The more md'rs send off protests, seek clarifications, and want sanctions, then the more it's crossing various bureaucrat's desks as a "pressing issue" that needs their attention. And then guess what the easy answers are going to be ? So ironically, it's often the LESS attention we need, not the MORE attention.

but sure, if there were an actual law, then by all means protest it. But no, not if it's been killed.

bigdisco00

Jan 23, 2014
Miami
Detector(s) used
Garret gti 2500 with eagle eye. Diver detector soon to come!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's true and I appreciate your input.

I'm more focused on Protecting than protesting.

Though I do protest against their stance on underwater md'ing

tltracy

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I stumbled across this thread, but I'm still confused. My husband just purchased a metal detector yesterday and headed out to the Ft. Lauderdale beach and was approached by someone mentioning "that it was now illegal to metal detect" on the beaches of Ft. Lauderdale. But from what I am reading on this thread and through my research is that that is not correct. Could someone please spell it out in dummy language... can we or can we not detect on the beach and in the water a few feet?? :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Glad I stumbled across this thread, but I'm still confused. My husband just purchased a metal detector yesterday and headed out to the Ft. Lauderdale beach and was approached by someone mentioning "that it was now illegal to metal detect" on the beaches of Ft. Lauderdale. But from what I am reading on this thread and through my research is that that is not correct. Could someone please spell it out in dummy language... can we or can we not detect on the beach and in the water a few feet?? :dontknow:

tltracy, I'm not from that area, but could your husband have asked the nosy-parker "where is that written?". I mean, what type beach was he on? state? fed? city? county? etc.... Then the rules/laws should be able to be looked up on any such entities list of rules for their beach. Ie.: no dogs allowed, no alcahol, etc... If there's nothing that said "no md'ing", then your husband's busy-body would not be able to cite such a thing, if nothing existed to say that. But sure, if he can offer a citation, then so be it.

And if the lookie-lou busy body tried to cite some ancillary things he claims applies (harming sandcrabs, etc...) I wouldn't buy it.

CPD1302

Greenie
Jun 2, 2013
South Florida (East Coast)
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 3500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

tltracy. I guess better late than never... Who ever the "someone" who approached your husband must have been misinformed (if was a non county employee then they are just being a pain in the rear...) You can MD from the dune to the waterline. I live in Broward and have no issues with this even at state parks... So tired of the haters out there. We are not hurting anyone, and I for one seem to be cleaning up the beach not raking in loot...;)

P.S. The sea turtle sites are clearly marked and need to be avoided. HH

Last edited:

Grantisland

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just getting started so please excuse the newbie question. Soooo let me get this correct......... we cannot metal detect anywhere in the ocean except 3 miles out In Florida ???????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread