Gold found in Green Cove Springs Florida

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I remember reading a copy of the that paper. I think it was either at the county archives or the museum.
At any rate I remember they didn't find a thing. It was the Oak Island of Main street. They redid the highway (17) a few years ago and with the newer digging equipment and such that we and road crews have available today didn't even venture to look again. They finished most of the highway and sidewalk replacement just before I got back into detecting again....(sigh)

JRich

C

Cappy Z.

I might be forced to call off from work and grab my MD....

8)

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ivan you're a wealth of information. When will you attend another seminar like Cocoa a year or so ago?

The St. Johns river was the avenue of travel for people/goods going to and from the Indian river lagoon in the 1800's. They would board a riverboat in Jacksonville and go south to Lake Harney, between Sanford and Titusville. There was a narrow gauge railroad from Harney to Sand Point in titusville. There, they would board a shallow draft boat and travel as far south as Stuart/Jupiter. It's possible interesting stuff can be found all along the St. Johns.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I for a better chance of hitting "paydirt" would be checking out the indain "raider" villiage close to green cove springs ****-- during the early 1800's era there was a "seminole" (read "creek" --driven earlier from GA / ALA) indain villiage (near the black river junction with the st johns) that raided near by settlememts * --- during the seminole wars the village was finally hit by us troops and was forced to be abandoned in a fast manner -- totally & forever ---the seminoles from the area that lived there were forced out and fled rapidly down south and thus did not get to return to their "villiage" area --- silver and gold items might be buried in / around the villiage area --- since indains would often bury excess amounts of treasure in nearby treasure pits --only keeping a small working stock of treasure on hand --that way if they were raided --they just fled and returned later for it --instead of trying to grab it up and getting shot to bits in the process --the victors who raided the camp --not knowing where the bulk of the goods was buried only got small amounts of "on hand" treasure and after looting / burning the camp would leave and the indains would return and reclaim the treasure and start over again --using the treasure for "start up" money .--- the army finally broke up this pattern by not leaving but instead posting troops in small forts on / near bythe indain villiage sites they raided ---to prevent their returning

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nothing was ever found at Green Cove Springs.

Attachments

• green cove springs 01.jpg
    green cove springs 01.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,786
  • green cove springs 02.jpg
    green cove springs 02.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,985

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a friend who works for the county there in green cove area, might be woirth asking them..i will email them

arabgold

Jan 25, 2024
chagy I can be of help on this one -- the area around green cove springs used to be an very old indain village that had been there many many years --they often raided nearby areas taking silver and gold and other items of worth . -- american forces finally over ran them driving them out of the area to the southern part of the state during the seminole war era -- the rumor was that these indains buried their stashes of goods in and around their village(also they had for many many years traded with other tribes to the south getting spanish shipwreck gold and silver as well as the raided gold and silver --these indains knew that whitemen prized silver and gold and where big time traders as well as raiders ) --- long ago there was a stash of gold and silver found by the "road paving crew" while they were working on the road going thru the town in the downtown area of green cove springs many years ago--for years folks have thought there was more than the original amount unearthed near that location. (due to finding some gold -- of course they dug around quite a bit to make sure they got it all) --the "treasure map" you speak of is a copy of old map that showed the layout of the indain settlement and roads and such in the area during the time frame of the indain settlement there . --- even today folks in the area talk of treasure being buried below the street there :wink: --- ps --by the way --the bulk of the village was at a differant location-- close by --butbit away from the area of the "find" and could very well have additional treasure stashes at it.( I have a good ideal where the bulk of the village was but due to health issues, I am unable to do anything about it sadly ) ---hope this helps you out.--- if you want the location area of the village just say so, ( just throw me a coin or 2 if you hit it big time)---Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread