Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard the story.

I have done some research on my home grown theory that springs could dredge up gold and deposit it in the runs. I have not yet taken my gold pan to Blue Springs. I have found that geologist believe that any type of geology that could be gold producing in Florida would be about 10,000 feet down.

Yes, I know, experts all have their OPINIONS. All the 1715 wrecks were in the Florida Keys too.

Jack

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well at first I thought it was a gold vein since the notes on the pictures say “gold fragments” but then I found the last pic were they are looking at a treasure map and the excavation seems to be in the middle of the town....

Officer Leo Davis sifts through gold fragments : Green Cove Springs, Florida

George B. Mobley and J. T. Conway on a makeshift elevator : Green Cove Springs, Florida

George B. Mobley looks over a "treasure map" with a spectator : Green Cove Springs, Florida

Attachments

• c008898.gif
    c008898.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 12,461
  • c009014.gif
    c009014.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 12,222
  • c008776.gif
    c008776.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 12,392

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
chagy I can be of help on this one -- the area around green cove springs used to be an very old indain village that had been there many many years --they often raided nearby areas taking silver and gold and other items of worth . -- american forces finally over ran them driving them out of the area to the southern part of the state during the seminole war era -- the rumor was that these indains buried their stashes of goods in and around their village(also they had for many many years traded with other tribes to the south getting spanish shipwreck gold and silver as well as the raided gold and silver --these indains knew that whitemen prized silver and gold and where big time traders as well as raiders ) --- long ago there was a stash of gold and silver found by the "road paving crew" while they were working on the road going thru the town in the downtown area of green cove springs many years ago--for years folks have thought there was more than the original amount unearthed near that location. (due to finding some gold -- of course they dug around quite a bit to make sure they got it all) --the "treasure map" you speak of is a copy of old map that showed the layout of the indain settlement and roads and such in the area during the time frame of the indain settlement there . --- even today folks in the area talk of treasure being buried below the street there :wink: --- ps --by the way --the bulk of the village was at a differant location-- close by --butbit away from the area of the "find" and could very well have additional treasure stashes at it.( I have a good ideal where the bulk of the village was but due to health issues, I am unable to do anything about it sadly ) ---hope this helps you out.--- if you want the location area of the village just say so, ( just throw me a coin or 2 if you hit it big time)---Ivan

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ivan,

Thanks, that is a very interesting story..Do you know how much was recovered on this excavation in 1948? And what was recovered?

All the best,

Chagy.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
off hand I can not recall not the total amount found and exactly what type of items they were -- just that they found gold and silver items -- Ivan

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It would be very interesting to find out date on coins, bars or what ever was found.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
see if I can find out more about it for you. but yes its a real legit story of treasure finding.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know nothing was ever found.

· Treasure Island, north of the St. Petersburg beach on the Gulf of Mexico, is so named from the many gold and silver Spanish coins that have been found on the island.
· Numerous eight reales dating from the 1770's to 1794 with a Mexico City mint mark have been found in the St. Marys River on the Florida side at Kings Ferry and the dead end of SR 115A.
· Spanish coins have been found on Anna Maria Island, west of Tampa Bay.
· Silver bars and coins were found at Bailey's Bluff, between New Port Richey and Tarpon Springs and Sand Bay.
· Some $70,000 in gold was discovered on Lower Matecumbe Key in the Florida Keys.
· Thirteen chests of treasure were found by a road crew while building a new road near Cocoa.
· In 1936 a fisherman on Grassy Key (Florida Keys) dug up $25,000 in Mexican gold coins, a gold candlestick and a diamond ring.
· Just off Pepper Park in St. Lucie County a skin diver found thousands of dollars in U.S. Army payroll money from a schooner sunk during the Seminole Wars.
· After a hurricane in 1921, a large amount of treasure was found washed ashore on Shell Key, south of St. Petersburg beach.
· Three bars of silver were found on Rocky Bluff in Manatee County.
· Some 4,000 U.S. gold coins recovered on the beach at Lazy Island are believed to be from wreck of Confederate blockade runner sunk in Dead Man Bay.
· An unidentified Spanish galleon carrying a cargo of gold bullion lies wrecked in the mouth of the Suwannee River. Guns from this wreck have been recovered.
· In the 1950's a treasure chest was found on the east end of Cedar Key in Levy County.
· Coins, anchors, cannons and old relics have been found on Ross Island, pirate headquarters of Captain Henry Ross.
· Spanish coins have been found on the northwest side of Green Key in Pasco County.
· Gold and silver coins have been found on the beach from an unidentified offshore wreck near Sarasota Point.
· In 1945, a couple vacationing at Naples, found $10,000 in gold doubloons on the beach, south of the town.
· In 1939, a $30,000 treasure was uncovered about two miles from the South end of Amelia Island.
· Coins, cannon and artifacts were found on the St. Georges Island beach where a Spanish galleon blew ashore in 1732 east of the lighthouse site.
· In the late 1800's a man found many silver bars in the mud along the shoreline of Cutler on the west side of Biscayne Bay. They are believed to be from a Spanish galleon wrecked in a 1595 hurricane with $6,000,000 in treasure aboard. This wreck site has never been located.
· In the 1920's a Chicago group recovered 80,000 pieces-of-eight from a pirate ship sunk west of Pelau Island, east of Gasparilla Island in Charlotte Harbor.
· Minted Spanish gold coins have been found among rocks in the water on the northwestern point of Cayo Costa, west of Charlotte Harbor.
· In 1913 an E.C. Cole from Chicago found a 2 1/2 pound chunk of melted gold on a tiny coral reef four miles south of Miami.
· Treasure chests have been recovered from a spring area at Pinellas Point inshore from the Tampa Bay shoreline.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
so coles 1913 gold find of 2 1/2 lbs of melted gold was 4 miles SOUTH of miami. ( humm was it a shipboard fire or maybe a smuggled bit of coursely poured gold ?) good job jeff.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
oh on the the st mary's river spanish silver coinage -- that spanish silver is thought to be "slave smuggling money" seems that when in 1803 when the us govt prohibted the farther import of slaves from africa into the USA --that spanish northeast florida( slaves being delivered thru fernandina) became a hot bed of slave smuggling --they would take the slaves and run them across the border trading with georgains at king's ferry -- the money is said to have come from a load of money that went over the side when a group of american (georigain) soldiers attacked the illegal slave traders, the ferry headed back to florida with the money from the illegal sale , tipped over close to the florida side and the money was lost --the river bottom there has many pocket type riffle honey holes areas that hold coins , according to divers --its a blackwater type dive and tough area current wize to boot.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Ivan, Give me the info on green cove Springs and i'll go check it out. I have been throught that area many times.

Jamie

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
chagy , a bit of research and contacting a couple of local source's of mine got the the CLAY TODAY (clay county newspaper ) editor's phone # -- after a breif chat he gave me the number (904) 284 - 2386 said ask for claude bass -- local clay county historian / archie / history know it all --- he should be able to shed some light on the matter. --

( I have not spoke to him on the matter, but from what I can find out reportly it is said that under the street -- is a 1700 era river pirate's treasure pit that was / is right on modern day --main st in front of the chamber of commerace )

chagy , I 'm going to fork over the seminole war indain camp (1830's) info to sabre 15.

Ivan

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ivan,

I really appreciate the fact that you wanted to share the information with me, that was very nice of you. It must be a very interesting site, plus chances are that someone could find treasure buried by the Indians. It seems that other members are close by and interested in the site, so its fine with me if you want to share the site here in the thread ......I’m really interested in finding out what was found in Mobley’s excavation....This information could tell us so much.

Sleep4wrecks, ;D

Thanks for the information, I will try to contact the Mobley’s

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I am going to go up there and talk with some of them, if i find anything out i will let you guys know.

Jamie

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Jeff, I see 4,000 gold coins were recovered on Lazy Island from a blockade runner. Lazy Is. is just south of the mouth of Steinhatchee River. This is where the "Rob Roy" is supposed to be located. Do you know when the coins were recovered? Do you think they came from the Rob Roy?

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Were they recovered from the ocean or from being buried on land, there are several reports of confederate buried coins along the banks of the river. This is one of my areas I have been searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread