WW II bomber crash found, too late.

Warbirder

May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In December, 1943 a B-17 from Hendricks Field in Sebring crashed short of the runway landing at night in heavy fog. All six crew were killed. The bodies were removed but the bomber was never removed from the thick underbrush and swamp 1/2 mi north of the runway. I know from reliable sources it was still there as late as 1990.
A few years ago my son and I made an air search from 500' and found that all the swamp and bad land is now neat acres of potatos and peas.

Searching some old aerial photos of Florida the other day, I found a pic of Hendricks Army Airfield taken three months after the crash. There, plain as day is the B-17 sitting in the boonies right where the crash report said. Comparing the photo with a current picture of the area leaves no doubt the B-17 is gone, either sold for scrap or plowed under by the farm owner.
Oh well, it was still an interesting "armchair search."
Bob

Attachments

• HendricksB-17search.JPG
    HendricksB-17search.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 528
  • HendricksB-17.jpg
    HendricksB-17.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 593

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing!

ehill56

Jun 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crash Sebring Hendricks Field

I answer to the posting below I wanted to let you know I found this crash many many years ago. There is not much left but it was still there. I in the middle of a sod field now. I have photos of the site as well. I live in the local area, I may be contacted at 863-368-0428, Give me a call. Eddie Hill

In December, 1943 a B-17 from Hendricks Field in Sebring crashed short of the runway landing at night in heavy fog. All six crew were killed. The bodies were removed but the bomber was never removed from the thick underbrush and swamp 1/2 mi north of the runway. I know from reliable sources it was still there as late as 1990.
A few years ago my son and I made an air search from 500' and found that all the swamp and bad land is now neat acres of potatos and peas.

Searching some old aerial photos of Florida the other day, I found a pic of Hendricks Army Airfield taken three months after the crash. There, plain as day is the B-17 sitting in the boonies right where the crash report said. Comparing the photo with a current picture of the area leaves no doubt the B-17 is gone, either sold for scrap or plowed under by the farm owner.
Bob

ehill56

Jun 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to tell all of you I have a Facebook page on much of this information. Go to Google Search and type in the search box: @historyinaviation and it will take you to a direct link to my page.

Bob

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As fast as my state is getting paved and concreted, it continues to be hard to find areas still open to hunt. I've got a national forest next to me with about 350,000 to 500,000 acres depending on what source you go by and you can't hunt there. However, the reason the size is up in the air, depends on what day it is and what private developer has bought some of our lands...sorry state of affairs in my mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread