Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all in Florida :thumbsup:

I am coming on holiday on wednesday from Denmark, Europe and I have a few questions, hope you can help me.
We will stay in Florida for three weeks.

First the weather !
I have seen in weather forecasts that you have got a lot of rain and thunder storms right now.
1. Should one expect this kind of weather to continue ?

2. What kind of insects, creep should one expect to meet ?

3. What are the current prices for regular unleaded gas ?

I plan to buy me a new detector and do some beach search on our round trip.
4. How big a precentage would the chance be to meet some of you guys ?
I would love to say hallo to some of you.

Thanks
TheDane

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
First the weather !
I have seen in weather forecasts that you have got a lot of rain and thunder storms right now.

I would love to say hallo to some of you.

Thanks
TheDane

Hey Dane!

1. You gotta say what part you're visiting. :wink: Here in Saint Petersburg, it's saying Scattered Thunderstorms for the next 10 days (until the 12th) The thing with the forecast, is they never really know for sure. When it says "scattered" thunderstorms, it means that random places may or may not get rain. It said it was supposed to rain today, but it's been sunny most of the day with sporadic overcast clouds here & there. You just never know.

2. Again, depends where you're at. If you're on the coastal areas, such as the beach... you "may" come across no-see-um's at night. During the day, you'll just need high SPF sunscreen... if the sun is out. The only other bugs that bother me anywhere else are mosquitoes, which normally only come out around the evening time. You can just pick up some bug spray at Wal-mart though.

3. As of right now, gas prices around St Pete are between $2.49 to $2.54 a gallon... which would be....
2.49 US dollar (USD) = 13.2345571 Danish krone (DKK) **to** 2.54 US dollar (USD) = 13.5003112 Danish krone (DKK)

4. I bet you're chances to round some of us T-Net people together to say hey would probably be pretty good... :thumbsup:

Bran <><

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much, Bran ! :thumbsup:

Starting out in Orlando, then on the 12. in Cocoa Beach, next Miami, The Keys, Key West, Key Lago, then up the Gulf Coast, Naples to Fort Myers, one week there. Hoping to do a lot of searching on the beaches. And we go back home on the 28th.

No-see-um´s sounds unplessant !!

Gas prices are like a dream to me, here the price is a bit over 10 DKK for 1 Liter, that would be about $7 !!! per gallon. :tongue3:

Thanks for your answers. :thumbsup: :headbang:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Comments in line:

First the weather !

You do realize that it is the rainy season, don't you? Rain happens...

Mosquitoes. Just avoid the dusk an dawn hours. Unless you are at the beach...

I filled up the other day at $2.58/gallon. I live in North Florida in St. Augustine.

Kellyco?

85% if you are in the St. Augustine area.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comments in line:
My comment in red

First the weather !

You do realize that it is the rainy season, don't you? Rain happens...

Yes I know, just wanted to know, how much rain, we would like some sun too ! ;D

Mosquitoes. Just avoid the dusk an dawn hours. Unless you are at the beach...

I filled up the other day at $2.58/gallon. I live in North Florida in St. Augustine.

A good price, I think !

Kellyco?

No

85% if you are in the St. Augustine area.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
I'll also second the no-see-ums. At least the mosquitoes are large enough for you to see them. No-see-ums can be downright viscous.

Does mosquito spray work on them ? >:(

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:

Yes, good bug spray will keep the no-see-um's & mosquitoes away!
They aren't very expensive for a can or bottle at Wal-mart... just a few bucks, if that.

Bran <><

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
TheDane said:

Yes, good bug spray will keep the no-see-um's & mosquitoes away!
They aren't very expensive for a can or bottle at Wal-mart... just a few bucks, if that.

Bran <><

Nice, a few bucks for less bugs !!! ;D :thumbsup:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Generally in Florida you get late afternoon thunderstorms that do not last long in the summer. I always plan my day accordingly.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Here is some advice from me, a native Floridian:

Weather- Thunderstorms can occur any afternoon. These storms frequently have dangerous lightning, which can strike the ground even while the clouds are several miles away. If you see a storm approaching and hear thunder, get into a building or vehicle. Being in an open area such as a beach or golf course during a storm is especially dangerous.
We are in hurricane season, so if a tropical storm is reported pay attention to the weather reports. Otherwise, the weather will just be hot so drink plenty of fluids.

Beachwear- Buy a good quality sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or 45 and apply it often while in the sun. A bad sunburn will make you miserable. Sunglasses and a hat also make beach detecting more comfortable. Take a water bottle also

Insects- You might encounter mosquitoes, biting gnats or biting flies at some locations, but not at others. Usually they are not bothersome during the day

Water safety- Many, many tourists have to be rescued from the water in my area each year because they don't understand the ocean, overestimated their abilities and tried to swim when the water was too rough. Each year some die from drowning. Most beaches in Florida do not have lifeguards. Don't go in the water if the waves are too large or if rip currents are occurring. If you get caught in a rip current just float and try to swim parallel to the beach-don't swim against the current.

Animals- Watch out for jellyfish - at certain times there are lots of them in the water. Their stings are painful. Especially watch out for a type with a top like a purple or blue balloon. These are known as "Portuguese Man o" Wars" and they are dangerous. The remedy for a jellyfish sting is to apply either vinegar, ammonia, baking soda or meat tenderizer to the sting site. Never put fresh water on a sting- it makes it worse.

If you see a snake just stay away from it. Most snakes are not venomous, but we have several species that are highly venomous and not being familiar with our snakes you won't know the difference

Florida has about 1.5 million alligators. Do not feed or pet the alligators

We have about a billion sharks, I guess. You are very very unlikely to be bitten by a shark. However, do not go in the water at night- prime shark feeding time.

Do not feed dolphins- it is bad for them and is illegal.

Do not feed pelicans or other large seabirds

If you happen to find a sea turtle or its nest on the beach- do not disturb it. Messing with a sea turtle nest is a serious crime in Florida

Two legged animals- We do have criminals in Florida. The way to avoid them is to use common sense and most of all stay out of bad neighborhoods. Don't leave valuables in your car if you can avoid it or if you must, at least put them out of sight. Don't walk around isolated areas at night. Be especially careful in the Miami area. Do not feed or pet the homeless or other beggars. And again, stay away from bad neighborhoods

For the best success in beach detecting, hunt the major tourist beaches in each area you visit. You'll find loads of coins and hopefully some nice jewelry also. The best time to hunt is before 11:00AM and after 4:00PM because the crowds are less and the sun and temperature are less intense.

Good luck , :thumbsup: and post pictures of your trip and finds when you get home

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much, MrBling and cntrydncr1

@MrBling
What a brilliant and informative post, thank you !!!

Here is some advice from me, a native Floridian:

Weather- Thunderstorms can occur any afternoon. These storms frequently have dangerous lightning, which can strike the ground even while the clouds are several miles away. If you see a storm approaching and hear thunder, get into a building or vehicle. Being in an open area such as a beach or golf course during a storm is especially dangerous.
We are in hurricane season, so if a tropical storm is reported pay attention to the weather reports. Otherwise, the weather will just be hot so drink plenty of fluids.

Severe Thunderstorms are rather seldom in my country, but I have experienced some heavy ones in southern Europe and North Africa. I have very much respect for this weather fenomenon. I hope we wont experience a hurricane.

Beachwear- Buy a good quality sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or 45 and apply it often while in the sun. A bad sunburn will make you miserable. Sunglasses and a hat also make beach detecting more comfortable. Take a water bottle also

I know of that too from my summerholidays in southern Europe.

Insects- You might encounter mosquitoes, biting gnats or biting flies at some locations, but not at others. Usually they are not bothersome during the day

Water safety- Many, many tourists have to be rescued from the water in my area each year because they don't understand the ocean, overestimated their abilities and tried to swim when the water was too rough. Each year some die from drowning. Most beaches in Florida do not have lifeguards. Don't go in the water if the waves are too large or if rip currents are occurring. If you get caught in a rip current just float and try to swim parallel to the beach-don't swim against the current.

Yes, I know that is important. We are aware of the danger of the ocean. My country consists mostly of islands, and Danes have the respect for the sea in the gens. Unfortunately many tourists in my country, that do not know the dangers of the sea, drown every year !

Animals- Watch out for jellyfish - at certain times there are lots of them in the water. Their stings are painful. Especially watch out for a type with a top like a purple or blue balloon. These are known as "Portuguese Man o" Wars" and they are dangerous. The remedy for a jellyfish sting is to apply either vinegar, ammonia, baking soda or meat tenderizer to the sting site. Never put fresh water on a sting- it makes it worse.

If you see a snake just stay away from it. Most snakes are not venomous, but we have several species that are highly venomous and not being familiar with our snakes you won't know the difference

Florida has about 1.5 million alligators. Do not feed or pet the alligators

We have about a billion sharks, I guess. You are very very unlikely to be bitten by a shark. However, do not go in the water at night- prime shark feeding time.

Do not feed dolphins- it is bad for them and is illegal.

Do not feed pelicans or other large seabirds

If you happen to find a sea turtle or its nest on the beach- do not disturb it. Messing with a sea turtle nest is a serious crime in Florida

Thank you for the info about the animals. The idea of petting an alligator wouldn´t have occured to me :laughing7: I´m sure my wife would want to go home immediately, if she sees a snake, hopefully she wont. Large spiders would be even worse ! ::)

Two legged animals- We do have criminals in Florida. The way to avoid them is to use common sense and most of all stay out of bad neighborhoods. Don't leave valuables in your car if you can avoid it or if you must, at least put them out of sight. Don't walk around isolated areas at night. Be especially careful in the Miami area. Do not feed or pet the homeless or other beggars. And again, stay away from bad neighborhoods

I have read about that problem in Miami, we will be careful !

For the best success in beach detecting, hunt the major tourist beaches in each area you visit. You'll find loads of coins and hopefully some nice jewelry also. The best time to hunt is before 11:00AM and after 4:00PM because the crowds are less and the sun and temperature are less intense.

Good luck , and post pictures of your trip and finds when you get home

Thank you very much for a very informative post. I will post some pictures and a story in this Florida section, when I get home ! :thumbsup:

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
wow, sounds like a good trip! I wont be in the areas you are planning to visit, but welcome to Florida anyway! Being from the high north, the SPF sunscreen is an absolute must ! The bug info is right on, they are usually not bad except for early and late, unless you're in a swampy area.You have quite a lot of travel in store ! 8)
If you get off the concrete for any length of time, you WILL see a snake or two, but only 4 or 5 are poisonous :read2: ......I personally just run away screaming like a schoolgirl ...
Have fun, and good hunting!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
When and where will you be in Florida. I'm going to Anna Maria Island early in Aug. Maybe I'll see you! I love meeting new treasure hunters.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions