Whats the current and future metal detecting situation in Fla?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
Any news from my favorite state on new laws prohibiting Md'ing, beaches or otherwise?

No problems here, couple small town ordinances, and some restrictions in Clay county. I have no problems detecting myself, and about 99% of beaches are open for detecting...

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: Whats the current and future metal detecting situation in Fla? Clay County

The only restriction in Clay County Florida is no Detecting on County Historic sites. The County recently passed a law clearly stating the right to detect on county public property that is not posted or a historical area. Private property is private property and with permission there is not a problem. I was surprised by the thoughtful decision made by the county and their understanding of the fact that a complete restriction would have declared public areas such as parks and even the tot lots off limits to detecting. I main reason for the new declaration was that the county had seen items supposedly recovered in historic areas of Clay County ending up for sale on ebay. I thought the county and their position was very enlightened. Most of the public schools at least in Clay County are fenced off. I could not attend the county meeting but did manage to tape it and view it later. Unlike alot of issues the debate was mostly in favor of metal detecting. I have never experienced a problem detecting around here. I've found more in the tot lots and around the boat ramps in the county than I ever have driving over to any local beach and hunting there. But I admit when the counsel had announced the issue of metal detecting in the county I was very worried. There are areas of Clay County where I'd like to see the county open up the area to research for a couple days just to see what might be there and if it would be worth further historical exploration.

JRich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread