Spoil Islands, Eastcoast Intercoastal

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I've been putting together a pet research project on the eastcoast of Florida and it seems to me that in certain areas the spoil islands (where legal) along the eastern intercoastal waterway would be a prime area to do some MDing. Since many of these islands were created from the dregding of the main channel it makes me curious as to what might be found in these now accessable layers of old river bottom. Just curious if anyone has looked into hunting these islands or actually hunted these waters? Not looked too much into the laws regarding these areas yet so if anyone is already aware of these legalities I'd be interested in hearing about them.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
These spoil islands are often used by boaters as a place to party on the weekends. They are used for camping and fishing too. Unfortunately as is often the case, lots of trash is left behind.

Just be prepared to dig a lot of trash targets.

I have hunted a number of these islands in the Sebastian and Vero area without much success.

Tom

Overeasy

May 7, 2008
Mad is right, you can have a scrap metal drive hunting the islands in the Vero/Sebastian area and make $$$ that way. I thought I had a great idea but I got frustrated with the junk I found. Maybe someday I'll try again when I'm more patient.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for fossils on those islands!
And use a detector that you know well and you can tell the difference between trash and a good steady tone.. you'll do fine..maybe better!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment-5.png

ForumRunner_20140309_182104.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions