Brevard County planning on banning detecting in county parks

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Today I was approached by a Brevard County grounds keeper and told I could not metal detect in the park. I asked why and why was it not posted on the rules sign at the entrance to the park. He said he did not know why and that the signs will soon be replaced with ones that state NO METAL DETECTING.

I said it was probably a knee jerk reaction to someone who did not use proper recovery methods. Kind of like pulling someone over for speeding and banning all drivers because they might speed one day. Or pulling someone over for speeding and issuing a ticket to all drivers for one persons failure to stay within the speed limit.

The grounds keeper agreed to let me detect the tot lot and the grassy parking areas. I explained to him that I did not dig holes. I use a probe and pop the item out of the ground, leaving little to no trace of disturbance.

The day is coming that ALL Brevard County Parks will be off limits to the hobby. A sad day, especially for me, since my primary hunting areas are the parks.

Ray S ECenFL

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special Edition
this is some bullcrap! I swear i better not see those signs any time soon, or ever for that matter. Do they even realize how much trash we stop to pick up as well when we are there? and how much safer we make it by picking out all the nails and screws etc?

As of now, do you know what the exact rules are for brevard county parks?

Also, Ray, or anyone else... I live in Melbourne, and I would love to know if anyone knows some good places to MD that is worthwhile, other than the beach! I would love to find some old places to detect, but dont know of many... do you know any great MD sites that are worth Detecting, or maybe any parks that are worth it too, for that matter?
Thanks for the help!
Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread