Does someone have map of restricted area (1715 fleet et al) for Florida East Coast?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As is said here, detecting in many parts of the water is not legal, as their is an existing lease. The question becomes, how do I as a hobbyist know where that is? It's not like there is a sign posted. So does someone have a definitive way, perhaps a map, website, gps coordinates, etc that show where one can and cannot detect in the water on the east coast of Florida?

Much appreciated!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have a map, but generally from just north of Port St lucia, to just north of Sebastion Inlet.... Jensen Beach is the last beach I know is legal in the water...... I personally would not go in the water from North of Jensen Beach to a few miles north of Sebastion Inlet.....

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The furthest south wreck for the area you describe I was able to find with a lease is at 27.19.0N X 80.12.30W. That's well above St. Lucie given the 3000yd radius.

I am frustrated at the state of Florida. I can't rely on information on TreasureNet or websites. I need information from the State, they are the only one in authority. And with them making 20% and selling leases, you would expect a crisp website, with maps, laws and info to help us. Instead we have to cobble together bits of information. If a new lease is struck tomorrow, how am I suppose to know about it? Normal trespass laws require information be posted, or warning be given before a civil case will be successful (within reason). I am not sure if these treasure leases bypass that? I mean that can be pretty unreasonable unless you know the GPS coordinates, dates of the leases, have a GPS on you, etc.

Also it is not clear to me, if the law is broken by having a detector in the water, or if the removal of items is where the law is broken? Or is the removal of items technically ok, so long as they are given to the party that holds the lease?

Sorry for the rant.......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 6+ years I have been hunting, I have never seen a map of the restricted area, I just know the area covered.

Nieves wreck is south of Ft Pierce and that is the southern part of the protected area which is just north of Port St Lucie....... You have the Wedge wreck just north of inlet there at Fort Pierce, then the Sandy point wreck, the Rio Mar Wreck, the Corrigans Wreck, and the Cabin wreck which brings you to Sebastian Inlet.

You can swim and dive all you want, but I highly recommend you do not want to take a detector into the water. They have the ability to not only seize your detector but your vehicle as well..... If you want to take a chance good luck, but be for-warned, the penalty is not cheap....

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure Hunter, I disagree with you. Your saying that because you cannot ascertain the status of all leases, locations, etc that someone should avoid treasure hunting the water altogether? That doesn't make sense. At best I would research it as best I can, and then move forward with the information I have. To deprive myself of hunting the waters up to 10' out, just because I might be off on coordinates, or a lease might have gone into effect since I last checked, doesn't make sense. Maybe I am being naive.......I want to follow the law, and will, to the best of my ability. But my ability is largely dependent on the data the state is making available.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your call, just warning you is all..They don't play games and ignorance of the law is not a viable defense..

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Palm Beach County Florida
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Aquapulse AQ1B, TM-808 W/ Cave. Garrett Infinium LS, JW Fisher Pulse 8x, JW Fisher Diver Mag 1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try contacting Brent at Queens Jewels LLC. 513-235-1105.

theEmmaPearl

Jan 15, 2019
Yonkers,Ny
Detector(s) used
A couple really old ones, my daughters for shits and giggles, and the Forager is always in my car ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Along with your detector, while in the water I would assume you are protecting yourself as well with your harpoon sling and "filet" blade attached to your leg and hip!
I mean, when I'm diving ALONE and METAL DETECTING in the ocean, especially when it is the ATLANTIC OCEAN and not private property or a known protected/bounded/operated PUBLIC SERVICE and I am TOUCHED unexpectedly, I shoot in that direction and start swinging my blade like a maniac.
I mean, come on... I'm in FLORIDA and I didn't get all suited up and ready to be BAIT!..

A "restricted" area of the ocean.... Pffft. I'm from Yonkers fool.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going add that most of the info I got was always conflicting but then noticed the date of the thread lol. Holy necro Batman.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhh an old thread revived.

IF anyone is interested... this is pretty much ALL info you need on detecting the treasure coast...

http://www.mdhtalk.org/articles/beaches/1715-fleet/1715-article.pdf

Thats pretty amazing; but I cannot, for the life of me, understand what might inspire someone to compile that, then just give it away. Maybe old age or a terminal disease, or something like that, but that's a ton of work to develop insights into things that you wouldn't want everyone else having (even though most of it is available on the internet, these days, it's still not all neatly compiled like it is there)

This kind of MD'ing is very much a zero sum game. Most people are incredibly non-creative and lack ability to effectively solve abstract problems... but they do have the ability to show up and start copying successful methods once someone lets the cat out of the bag. That lucky SOB in the 1840's at Sutters Mill in California who could walk around and pick up Gold Nuggets was also the dumbest SOB alive for ever telling a soul about it...

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty amazing; but I cannot, for the life of me, understand what might inspire someone to compile that, then just give it away. Maybe old age or a terminal disease, or something like that, but that's a ton of work to develop insights into things that you wouldn't want everyone else having (even though most of it is available on the internet, these days, it's still not all neatly compiled like it is there)

This kind of MD'ing is very much a zero sum game. Most people are incredibly non-creative and lack ability to effectively solve abstract problems... but they do have the ability to show up and start copying successful methods once someone lets the cat out of the bag. That lucky SOB in the 1840's at Sutters Mill in California who could walk around and pick up Gold Nuggets was also the dumbest SOB alive for ever telling a soul about it...

Amazing wht people "share" these days... sheesh just join FakeBook and you will see what someone just had to eat or drink less than a minute ago. heh

I too am amazed at what a little finger flapping turns out / up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions