Volusia county parks now off limits

Sailorman

Nov 25, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who hunt Volusia county the Parks director, Tim Baylie [email protected], has decided detecting is and somehow has been for some time banned. This of course comes a bit of a shock to those of us who have been detecting there for quite some time. Most of us had always talked with local park managers who had no problems with it as long as we were neat and left things as we found them.

Then someone decided the local managers permission wasn't good enough and decided to pester the top bureaucrat for permission and now suddenly we get this from the guy who wrote him. I encourage FL hunters to speak their minds to officialdom:

[h=5]I queried Tim Baylie, Director of Parks in Volusia County, concerning metal detecting in the county parks. His response was that no detecting was allowed. For everyone's information, here is his complete response:

" Thank you for your email. Metal detecting is not allowed in county parks. Here is some back ground information that may be helpful regarding the establishment of this position. First, some of the county park lands have archeological and historical significance. Funding used to acquire some of these lands have been provided by state and/or federal agencies. These agencies typically require the county to protect these lands and the archeological/historical assets on them. It is further defined in Florida Statute 267.13 Prohibited practices; penalties. Also, any items found on these lands are the property of the owner and would be required to be returned to the area in which it was found.

Secondly, in our parks, there are many open play areas used by the general public to participate in various recreational activities. For example throwing a base ball with their child, kicking a soccer ball or walking their dog etc. Irresponsible metal detecting can cause dirt mounds or holes in the turf that result in a safety hazard. The allowance of this activity would place the county at increased risk.

I have had various conversations with citizens who have requested to metal detect on our park lands. Some state that they won't dig and will just retrieve items on the surface. In practice, this has not been the case.

For the reasons stated above, metal detecting is not allowed in County parks. Although this is posted in some of our more highly sensitive lands, I will post it on our county web site to better inform the public of this policy.

If I can assist you further please let me know. Thank you!

[/h]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another example of ask enough people someone will say no.....

If there is no published law against it, or a sign posted with the stature of law that forbids it then KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Stupid is as stupid does...

Todd J

Apr 17, 2013
Tobbyhanna, PA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need everyone to start an e-mail campaign on the Volusia County Florida Parks no metal detecting. Please start e-mailing your support:

Volusia County Parks Director -Tim Baylie - [email protected]

John Thrasher - STATE SENATOR - [email protected]

DOROTHY HUKILL - State Senator - hukill.dorothy.web@ flsenate.gov

Thanks,

Todd Jacondino
FMDAC Legislative Officer

Todd J

Apr 17, 2013
Tobbyhanna, PA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to bump this. We need everyone's support on this.

It may be your local parks and your favorite detecting spots that we are fighting to save one day so please show your support.

Send e-mails to:

Volusia County Parks Director -Tim Baylie - [email protected]

John Thrasher - STATE SENATOR - [email protected]

DOROTHY HUKILL - State Senator - [email protected]

Thanks,

Todd Jacondino
FMDAC Legislative Officer

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this yesterday in a city park where kids play. Now if a kid had gotten a hold of it, they would have cut their fingers off or worse. I guess this doesn't matter to those that tell us NO. The Lesche is for size.

Chefknife4.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I queried Tim Baylie, Director of Parks in Volusia County, concerning metal detecting in the county parks."
Who was the rocket scientist-brain surgeon that did THAT!? Or, otherwise known as:
poking the bear, swatting the hornets nest, messing with Sasquatch.......
Sailorman, please don't tell me that was you!?

Why oh why oh why oh why.......... Is it just me..................... Where is Tom in Calif when you need him, (oh, he's probably banging his head on wall, reading yet ANOTHER thread on.........
I always concur with the 9 cats in my head, that any land I set my paws on, I cover and own,
until someone makes me aware, I might be in error!
Public land, is that, PUBLIC! I would think YOUR county tax dollars pay for the upkeep and maintenance of said parks. I used to make money slinging baseball bats into the pecan trees at my county/city parks, to get pecans to sell at the market to make a buck, no one ever said, oh no, you can't take these pecans because........
Maybe some people don't want nasty babies and kids all over the play equipment, spreading their little nasty germs, but THEY don't get banned.
Maybe some would rather not have dogs in parks spreading their germy little feces everywhere, but they don't get banned. Maybe more drunks and crackheads in parks leaving needles, pipes, and trash would do. We don't ban them, oohhh noooo, violation of their civil rights, no doubt.

I have metal detected Federal Parks, (when I was new), and all I ever got was a polite, "M'am, your not suppose to be MD-ing here, the borders are here to there, go over there". A polite, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know, I am new at this"...... and off I go again.

I find that people ask questions for basically 3 reasons, and in the following order;
1) They are looking for attention.
2) They are trying to confirm what they already know.
3) They really don't know, and need an answer.
Yeah, MD-ing is cool, look at me, I am new, see what I can do, hey Mr. Bigshot county hired and tax-paid official, give me some attention, cause I think you iz impotent, and I will be a bigshot talking to you......... I know I'm not suppose to be here, but couldn't you let me slide, I'll split the finds with ya, You can make an exception for me, cause I am really just a dum-azz that haz not a clue in the world, oh, and wait, what planet am I on!

THINK PEOPLE THINK!
Now, we all gotta go ride this guys tail, b/tch, moan, and groan, till we get our way.
Bet that Savage guy wouldn't get kicked outta the park!
Peoples, when you are out there MD-ing, just keep a low profile, mind your business, clean up after yoself, let them see you in action, NOT defacing the land, CLEANING UP trash and taking to the trash cans, being polite and courteous, and not being a pain in the bott, NOT jumping up and down, hollering BOOM BABY NECTAR whatever, and digging holes that a backhoe couldn't fill!

Is there shortages of common sense on earth nowadays? Maybe it's just me, (oh, and Tom in Calif)! :laughing7:
Sorry, someone kick this soapbox out from under me, shut me up, please........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread