Hunting in and around St Augustine

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard a lot of different things about this and was hoping someone could clarify.

I'm a st augustine local and would love to do some hunting around here. From my understanding, it's illegal to metal detect, basically, anywhere within city limits (except on the beach). Is that accurate? I've also heard that you can detect on the beach BUT not in the water. And then someone else told me that no, you cannot hunt on the beach whatsoever and will be fined and/or arrested. What?

Anyone have any accurate information? I'd imagine there would be a ton of amazing things to find here. 8-) Also, if you did find something, does it need to be reported to someone? Any help is appreciated.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private property is fine with permission from the land owner.

Remember that some of the locals there are involved in some of the archaeology groups that are the most vocal about how it's better to let something rot in the ground, or a drawer at a university, or wait for a Walmart to be built on top of it, than it is to have it in private collections. They have went so far as to put out statements asking locals to not allow any detecting on their property. These are some of the same people that help use eminent domain to "steal" land that they deem "culturally significant", then lie about how it was obtained.

So ask permission for private property, but don't be shocked if you are rejected.

Most coastal state parks allow detecting between the tide line, and the base of the dunes...although some do not. I believe water hunting is off limits, although people do it every day without any trouble (except leased salvage areas). County and city parks with beaches where it is not expressly forbidden should be ok.

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private property is fine with permission from the land owner.

Remember that some of the locals there are involved in some of the archaeology groups that are the most vocal about how it's better to let something rot in the ground, or a drawer at a university, or wait for a Walmart to be built on top of it, than it is to have it in private collections. They have went so far as to put out statements asking locals to not allow any detecting on their property. These are some of the same people that help use eminent domain to "steal" land that they deem "culturally significant", then lie about how it was obtained.

So ask permission for private property, but don't be shocked if you are rejected.

Most coastal state parks allow detecting between the tide line, and the base of the dunes...although some do not. I believe water hunting is off limits, although people do it every day without any trouble (except leased salvage areas). County and city parks with beaches where it is not expressly forbidden should be ok.

Wow, thank you. I really appreciate all of that information. I'm slightly terrified of asking someone to hunt on their property. What do you say? Hi, I'd like to see if I can metal detect on your property? And if I find something, I want to keep it? Any suggestions?

So do you think you can detect at places like Fort Matanzes? I never saw any signs there against it but there's quite a few park rangers wandering around.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you. I really appreciate all of that information. I'm slightly terrified of asking someone to hunt on their property. What do you say? Hi, I'd like to see if I can metal detect on your property? And if I find something, I want to keep it? Any suggestions?

So do you think you can detect at places like Fort Matanzes? I never saw any signs there against it but there's quite a few park rangers wandering around.

Absolutely not!!

That is a state park that is also a historical park and "archaeological zone"....yes they have beaches there, and they might even allow it on the Atlantic beach, but don't go anywhere near the fort....

Also remember that "disturbing" anything that is man-made and over 50 years old on state land (and water) is a misdemeanor, and removing it is a felony!

The detecting that is allowed on state beaches is assumed to be for modern coins, etc.

Your best bet is still going to be on private property.

There are plenty of spots outside the city itself that is still prime spots for old relics and coins...Do your research, look at old plat maps, look for high ground near fresh water, etc....I heard recently that someone had dug the remains of several old flintlock weapons in the area.

Also...the people that tend to not care if you dig, also don't care what you keep....Just be respectful, explain that you have a love for history, and that it is just your hobby...leave the ground just as you found it, and take out your trash.

The worst they can say is no....Ask 10 people, and if 1 says yes, it will be worth it.

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely not!!

That is a state park that is also a historical park and "archaeological zone"....yes they have beaches there, and they might even allow it on the Atlantic beach, but don't go anywhere near the fort....

Also remember that "disturbing" anything that is man-made and over 50 years old on state land (and water) is a misdemeanor, and removing it is a felony!

The detecting that is allowed on state beaches is assumed to be for modern coins, etc.

Your best bet is still going to be on private property.

There are plenty of spots outside the city itself that is still prime spots for old relics and coins...Do your research, look at old plat maps, look for high ground near fresh water, etc....I heard recently that someone had dug the remains of several old flintlock weapons in the area.

Also...the people that tend to not care if you dig, also don't care what you keep....Just be respectful, explain that you have a love for history, and that it is just your hobby...leave the ground just as you found it, and take out your trash.

The worst they can say is no....Ask 10 people, and if 1 says yes, it will be worth it.

Ah, that's what I had figured.

How do I find out what land I can hunt on and what land I can't? Example being, there's miles upon miles of empty land on the vilano/ponte vedra stretch of A1A. I'm assuming this is preserved land, though, owned by the state, and would be illegal to hunt on. Am I assuming correctly?

Thanks!

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the property appraisers website for the county in which the land is in, use the map search with the parcels outlined...then choose the "identify parcel" icon, and click on the parcel. It will highlight, and tell you who owns it. If it is the state or the feds...move on to another place.

I don't know if it would be illegal to hunt...but you can bet it would be illegal to dig and recover!

Mar 23, 2014
You can hunt the beach not in water and not in dunes just beach. Also u can hunt private property with permission. That's it

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'll comment later tonight. I just wanted to bookmark the thread to acknowledge the question. I'll be glad to offer first hand knowledge.

Your questions seem to focus on the beach areas so I'll address them first. St. Johns County has 41 miles of beach. Certainly you can find enough sand to swing your coil over that isn't in conflict with State Parks and National Park Service.

The "empty land" that you refer to North of Vilano is the GTMERR. You can detect on the beach. No detecting on the dunes (goes for any beach environment). Also, no disturbing the bottom submerged land. Be sure to pay for the parking.

North Beach (south of GTMERR and north of Vilano), you are good to go to dig on the beach and water. Vilano is also a fine.

Anastasia State Park - From Pope Road northward, is a hazy area. A couple of years ago, there was an interpretation that varied depending on who worked at the time. Some Rangers would say that you could detect the dry; others said you could detect the tidal zone (wet sand only); while others said you could not detect the beach and only detect in the water. Well, ASP enjoins an underwater archeological preserve so there is no detecting in the water for sure. And with the confusion of the staff and the recent renourishment, there are better opportunities to detect than to deal with potential problems.

From Pope road south to the Matanzas Beach Ramp is county beach. Detect from the toe of the dune out into the water for 16 miles.

Matanzas Beach Ramp south including Bayside of Fort Mantanzas and Rattlesnake Island is NPS land. No detecting allowed. It is enforced. Even if no rangers are in sight, there are cameras that are employed.

That about sums up St. Johns county beaches. Like John said, your best bet for old relics is private property. Do your research and knock on some doors. The only exception to John's advice is that there is no detecting in city parks. Detecting in County parks is fine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions